IP not on list yet email still getting blocked

pdel65

I am a single end user.

Complete email:

The original message was received at Sun, 13 Aug 2006 13:45:34 -0400 (EDT) from cpe-065-188-221-053.triad.res.rr.com [65.188.221.53]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <jdelos[at]davidsonccc.edu>

(reason: 550 Rule imposed as jdelossantos[at]triad.rr.com is blacklisted on SpamCop (see www.spamcop.net))

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to marshal.davidson.cc.nc.us.:

>>> RCPT To:<jdelos[at]davidsonccc.edu>

<<< 550 Rule imposed as jdelossantos[at]triad.rr.com is blacklisted on SpamCop (see www.spamcop.net) 550 5.1.1 <jdelos[at]davidsonccc.edu>... User unknown

When I do a lookup on 65.188.221.53 on spamcop.net and senderbase it is not blacklisted.

I've run my local anti virus (Trend Micro), symantec online and panda online virus scans.

Also ran Spybot, Ad-Aware, Windows Defender successfully.

Verified that the "out of office" reply was not set

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, the error message that the receiving server is sending back is incomplete. It should include the IP address of the server it is actually receiving the message from. Under your mail settings, what do you have listed as your outgoing (SMTP) server?

Unfortunately, the error message that the receiving server is sending back is incomplete. It should include the IP address of the server it is actually receiving the message from. Under your mail settings, what do you have listed as your outgoing (SMTP) server?

smtp.triad.rr.com

Hmm, an nslookup on smtp.triad.rr.com is not giving me an IP address, however, I do see an smtp-server.triad.rr.com at 24.25.4.90 which is not currently listed. Perhaps try sending an email to yourself at a free account such as yahoo or hotmail and posting the headers that show up here.

Hmm, an nslookup on smtp.triad.rr.com is not giving me an IP address, however, I do see an smtp-server.triad.rr.com at 24.25.4.90 which is not currently listed. Perhaps try sending an email to yourself at a free account such as yahoo or hotmail and posting the headers that show up here.

Whoops. I apologize for my typo. you are right about it being smtp-server.triad.rr.com.

I will try that. thanks!!!!!!

Wow. It is working now. I am able to email from my outlook client on my pc. However, here is the complete error I was previously receiving (part of it was in an attachment and not in the body of the email). Can you help me figure out why I was blacklisted?

Return-Path: <jdelossantos[at]triad.rr.com>

Received: from Jo (cpe-065-188-221-053.triad.res.rr.com [65.188.221.53])

by ms-smtp-03.southeast.rr.com (8.13.6/8.13.6) with ESMTP id

k7G1qC8B017515

for <jdelos[at]davidsonccc.edu>; Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:52:12 -0400 (EDT)

To: "'Jo De Los Santos'" <jdelos[at]davidsonccc.edu>

Subject: Test

Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:52:29 -0400

Message-ID: <002c01c6c0d6$a1f52610$6400a8c0[at]Jo>

MIME-Version: 1.0

Content-Type: multipart/alternative;

boundary="----=_NextPart_000_002D_01C6C0B5.1AE5F710"

X-Mailer: Microsoft Office Outlook 11

X-MIMEOLE: Produced By Microsoft MimeOLE V6.00.2900.2869

Thread-index: AcbA1qF7Hzr7tbDsRCmL1BDWF6Vxtw==

X-Virus-Scanned: Symantec AntiVirus Scan Engine

Reporting-MTA: dns; ms-smtp-03.southeast.rr.com

Received-From-MTA: DNS; cpe-065-188-221-053.triad.res.rr.com

Arrival-Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:52:12 -0400 (EDT)

Final-Recipient: RFC822; jdelos[at]davidsonccc.edu

Action: failed

Remote-MTA: DNS; marshal.davidson.cc.nc.us

Diagnostic-Code: SMTP; 550 Rule imposed as jdelossantos[at]triad.rr.com is blacklisted on SpamCop (see www.spamcop.net)

Last-Attempt-Date: Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:52:14 -0400 (EDT)

[mailto:MAILER-DAEMON[at]ms-smtp-03.southeast.rr.com]

Sent: Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:52 PM

To: jdelossantos[at]triad.rr.com

Subject: Returned mail: see transcript for details

The original message was received at Tue, 15 Aug 2006 21:52:12 -0400 (EDT) from cpe-065-188-221-053.triad.res.rr.com [65.188.221.53]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors ----- <jdelos[at]davidsonccc.edu>

(reason: 550 Rule imposed as jdelossantos[at]triad.rr.com is blacklisted on SpamCop (see www.spamcop.net))

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to marshal.davidson.cc.nc.us.:

>>> RCPT To:<jdelos[at]davidsonccc.edu>

<<< 550 Rule imposed as jdelossantos[at]triad.rr.com is blacklisted on SpamCop (see www.spamcop.net) 550 5.1.1 <jdelos[at]davidsonccc.edu>... User unknown

If one of the paid members would be so kind as to post reports for 65.188.221.53 AND 24.25.4.90 we might be able to get a little better idea what is going on.

It appears that 65.188.221.53 is your assigned DHCP address, however, this shouldn't show up as the top received by line in the header, which is why I was looking for the mail server address. Once someone posts those reports we might be able to tell a little more about which one might have been blocked.

If one of the paid members would be so kind as to post reports for 65.188.221.53 AND 24.25.4.90 we might be able to get a little better idea what is going on.

I am on slow dialup at the moment, so will leave analysis to others.

Parsing input: 65.188.221.53

host 65.188.221.53 = cpe-065-188-221-053.triad.res.rr.com (cached)

No recent reports, no history available

Parsing input: 24.25.4.90

host 24.25.4.90 (getting name) = smtp-server.southeast.rr.com.

host 24.25.4.90 = smtp-server.southeast.rr.com (cached)

I am on slow dialup at the moment, so will leave analysis to others.

Parsing input: 65.188.221.53

Parsing input: 24.25.4.90

host 24.25.4.90 (getting name) = smtp-server.southeast.rr.com.

host 24.25.4.90 = smtp-server.southeast.rr.com (cached)

If the rejection is misconfigured so as not to show the sending IP it is quite likely that it is also misconfigured to point to the SpamCop blocklist when, in fact, it should be pointing to a different one IYSWIM.

Thanks all for your help. I guess I will never know what the root cause was.....
'Fraid not - just noting http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchBy=...g=65.188.221.67 notes an abuseat listing currently but, perhaps more to the point if previous conjectures are correct
Addresses in rr.com used to send email

Showing 1 - 50 out of 55948 next >>

- that is, there's a lot of servers there, one of which is undoubtedy the one in question (if 65.188.221.67 is not). Also noting from http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=hoshame#domsum that rr.com is currently No 7 in the hall of shame domain summary and has been thereabouts for years. Bit late now (if you're not blocked) to be looking at the actual rr servers currently listed above the domain summary but they are only the top 200 anyway, not an exhaustive list.

Sorry not of immediate help but given rr's record, maybe next time.

'Fraid not - just noting http://www.senderbase.org/search?searchBy=...g=65.188.221.67 notes an abuseat listing currently but, perhaps more to the point if previous conjectures are correct - that is, there's a lot of servers there, one of which is undoubtedy the one in question (if 65.188.221.67 is not). Also noting from http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=hoshame#domsum that rr.com is currently No 7 in the hall of shame domain summary and has been thereabouts for years. Bit late now (if you're not blocked) to be looking at the actual rr servers currently listed above the domain summary but they are only the top 200 anyway, not an exhaustive list.

Sorry not of immediate help but given rr's record, maybe next time.

Thanks again.

rr's servers have serious problems. They absolutely refuse to configure them so they don't send misdirected bounces (I get several of these each day from them). I would strongly suggest finding somewhere else to get your mail services even if you use rr for your connectivity.

rr's servers have serious problems. They absolutely refuse to configure them so they don't send misdirected bounces (I get several of these each day from them). I would strongly suggest finding somewhere else to get your mail services even if you use rr for your connectivity.

Now it makes sense. When I contacted them about the issue they immediately told me to call spamcop and gave me a phone number and email address. I decided to use this forum to try to figure out what was going on. Sounds like they don't want to play nice. Thanks for your advice.

Yeah, I use rr for connectivity myself and finally had to resort to running my own mail server to get reliable mail delivery. If all you have run into is the SCBL then you're lucky, my mailserver was listed on several blocklists because they can't be bothered to fix the problem. What's sad is I get more reliable mail delivery with my mailserver running without a PTR record (since I'm on a dynamic IP) than I did using their outgoing SMTP server...

And now that comcast has taken over rr here in the Houston area, I expect all of the IPs to end up on blocklists soon, as I know there are SEVERAL blocklists that include the entire internet sewer that is comcast IP space. Not sure what I'm going to do about that particular conundrum. Maybe I can set the office mail server up to relay for me. *shrugs* Oh well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

Now it makes sense. When I contacted them about the issue they immediately told me to call spamcop and gave me a phone number and email address. I decided to use this forum to try to figure out what was going on. Sounds like they don't want to play nice. Thanks for your advice.

Well, thank you for coming here with an open mind and trying to figure out the problem, rather than ranting how spamcop has ruined your day. SpamCop is a "wide brush" when legitimate servers become listed, but those administrators can eliminate the problems with a little work and benefit the entire internet community in the process.

Archived