ISP whitelists

daniell

I don't see where this applies to a SpamCop.net e-mail account. This post will moce it to the Blocking List Help Forum section.

My isp uses SpamCop to bounce mail coming from IP addresses on the blacklist. Do they have access to a whitelist, yahoo groups are constantly being blocked and I am wondering if they have an option to white list them. Thank you.

Yahoo has earned it's own place in the world ... there is a massive Topic/Discussion devoted to them. Take some time to waltz through that and see the other side of the picture.

As far as your ISP goes ... how would anyone here know what tools your ISP has in place, the competence of their support folks, etc.? What did they say when you asked them this same question .. surely you asked them first ...????? Rgistering here with a HotMail address, complaining about YahooGroup traffic, and not providing any specific data .. not sure what type of answer you could have possibly anticipated.

My isp uses SpamCop to bounce mail coming from IP addresses on the blacklist. Do they have access to a whitelist, yahoo groups are constantly being blocked and I am wondering if they have an option to white list them. Thank you.

And to follow up a bit on Wazoo's post...

Some do...

Some don't...

So do but won't tell you and it simply starts working.

The only way to find out is to ask them.

Thanks for the help you donkey......

They told me there was no whitelist, all I wanted to know is if ISP's that subscribe to SpamCop have access to a whitelist through SpamCop... Yes, No, some do some don't, I don't know is a fine answer. But your cocky reply is totaly unhelpful.

OK, I'm going to hold off for a bit on performing some Admin action .. but I believe the end result will be the same.

Not providing sufficient data was one thing, but .. calling folks that replied names, not bothering to do the least amount of research on your own .... you've managed to tick off some folks around here ...

The SpamCop Block List (SCBL) is the best and most accurate and effective Block List to use. It is like a spam Radar blocking spam as it is being sent (not after) activated in seconds (a spam run goes for hours) bitbinning filth viruses etc before you can get it. Using SpamCop to effortlessly report spam instead of just bitbinning notifies ISP of problems as well as helping in criminal charges being laid against spammers (now very common).

When using any "blacklist" it should just segregate email to a "bulk" folder never delete

Even then a whitelist of email addresses by your ISP should be available

Whitelisting IP numbers of non spam companies (like lawyers Banks Stocks) is made available through SenderScore It is free for your ISP to use and will reduce false positives of important email

Many "Lists" are not free and will require Payment depending on ISP size.

Realistically if email is important you should be prepared to pay for an email service run by SpamCop it only costs US$30 per annum and gives you the best shields, from not only spam, but computer virus's sent through email as well. If not your cup of tea you can get a refund in 14 days. With SpamCop Email no mail is lost. spam is very accurately sent to a bulk folder where it can effortlessly reported to ISP's concerned (at few clicks of a mouse button)

Thanks for the help you donkey......

They told me there was no whitelist, all I wanted to know is if ISP's that subscribe to SpamCop have access to a whitelist through SpamCop... Yes, No, some do some don't, I don't know is a fine answer. But your cocky reply is totaly unhelpful.

Apparently you have no idea of what you are talking about.

The term white list can be look at from different directions.

But if you want a simple answer to your stupid question; SpamCop does NOT provide any White List, and will never be able to do so.

What is a White List?

A list of addresses that someone wants to prevent from affected by a black list.

You may want to White list Yahoo groups, the next person wants to black list them, who wins.

White lists should be personal lists.

When one asks an ISP or mail server if they have a White list, what they really mean is do they provide White Listing capabilities that their users can use to avoid having mail that they want to receive from being block by what ever black lists / filters might be in use.

If your ISP does not provide White List capabilities AND does use black lists to delete or filter mail they are not worth the money you are paying them (even if it is free) - its costing you the mail you want to receive.

Ignoring the name calling, that was NOT what you asked. I answered the exact non-informational question you asked. When you ask generic questions, what you get is generic answers.

Answering the more specific question you have now asked, there are still multiple possibilities:

People who use the spamcop email account (the only "subscribers" spamcop has) can create their own whitelist entries to be applied to their account.

There is no "subscribing" to the spamcop blocklist, it is available to any and all users who wish to use it in it's current form for free. Whitelisting would be the responsibility of the administrator implementing the block.

There is no "subscribing" to the spamcop blocklist, it is available to any and all users who wish to use it in it's current form for free. Whitelisting would be the responsibility of the administrator implementing the block.
And to restate Steve's reply, so you do not read it wrong again. Providing the ability for the end user to create their own White Lists would be the responsibility of the administrator implementing the block.

Administrators may create limited white lists, but those list would never meet the needs of every user.

Exception to the above is company admins, as the company IS considered the end user and owner of the mail regardless of who the mail is specifically addressed to.

Archived