ISP Indicated Spam will Cease

rooster

OK, I'll bite. I realize these kinds of Q's usually end up making me look and feel stupid; but what am I to understand about this notice in one of my last submissions?

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1051011468z8...2704f3b183d73fz

ISP has indicated spam will cease; ISP resolved this issue sometime after Friday, September 01, 2006 6:19:20 PM -0700

I'm probably taking it too literaly, but how could the ISP have "resolved the issue (past [perfect] tense) after the present time and after the time of submission"?

I'm probably taking it too literaly, but how could the ISP have "resolved the issue (past [perfect] tense) after the present time and after the time of submission"?

Generally, this would mean that you weren't the first to receive/complain aboit the spam spew from that source.

One scenario, spammer loads up a compromised server with a thousand or so CC: addresses for the spam run .... the spamvertised web-site might be taken down, the spammer's ISP account might be closed, but that compromised server is still chunking away, trying to deliver the assigned load ... worst case, this compromised system is configured to "see" the massive e-mail run and thusly transforms into a bit of a bog-down, slowing the transmission (delivery attempts) to one every few (ever increasing) minutes, such that e-mail #1,000 doesn't get delivered until two days later ....

or the ISP lied and used this "checkbox" to turn off future reports for the next 24 hours ....

To explain (?) the timeframe, one of the options offered in the report is described as and includes the words "spam will stop" ...

Ahh; So...

Thank you very much. Initially, it almost looked to me as ir some contractual arrangement had been made between tha ISP and SC as opposed to the various engines all grinding away and doing 'their' thing.

I noticed too, after my post, that I might have misinterpreted the actual times involved; you know, recalibrating for GMT +'s and -'s .... it could happen...!

Archived