New Webmail Launched

jefft

It's ever so obvious that none of the programmers "eat their own dog food" and, as a result we have chaos.

:angry:

I don't think that is true at all, in fact I think it has been reported it is the primary email application JT uses.

Anyone using the online web system to read email and report spam would know the problems the rest of us are experiencing.

Many of these "problems" were seen and attributed to having a different server and domain name for the beta. Even with the best of betas, there will be fixes to be made when you go live. The alternative would have been to change the server name permenantly meaning every shortcut in existence becomes out of date.

I would recommend going back to the original system until the "beta" is fixed.

That MAY happen, but probably more related to the DB issues that display ones, IMO.

Constantly logging in,

This was thought to be cookie related (and may still be.

having the reporting page open in a new window everytime we select "Report" from the webmail page

There was talk of removing that link all together to save space. All you need to do is create a favorite. Again, I personally like it opening a new window and stated so during the beta.

and so many other problems make me wonder what's going down.

What other items are you seeing other than outages which JT is addressing? I have not seen any changes between the beta test system and the current system. The ONLY issue I was having before and still am is the login issue. As stated, this was believed to be a cookie issue due to the difference of server name and expected in the Beta.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
With the new system I am no longer able to import CSV files into my webmail address book. I just deleted all my addresses there (as I did several times in the past) and tried to re-import all my addresses from an CSV file (this is because I have the actual data in another system...).

When I now click on "Next" only an empty screen is presented and nothing ever happens.

Bug verified....this one is real, folks. I just tried importing a CSV file into my wife's empty Address Book and was immediately confronted with the same blank screen reported early this morning by m0urs.

There's plenty of HTML behind the blankness, but none of it will display...sounds like a rollback might really be in order.

There was talk of removing that link all together to save space.

Yes, both Steven and I are in favor of zapping the "Report spam" button from the menu bar...it's entirely irrelevant and causes more problems than it solves.

(our "votes" are found here: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=47316 - any further votes would need to be in this topic, as the former "beta" topic is now locked)

DT

BTW, all of the SC Email services appear to be down yet again. (I think that JT is busy rolling back to the old webmail....)

(snip)Yes, both Steven and I are in favor of zapping the "Report spam" button from the menu bar...it's entirely irrelevant and causes more problems than it solves.

(our "votes" are found here: http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=47316 - any further votes would need to be in this topic, as the former "beta" topic is now locked)

I vote for dropping the Report spam button -- based on the few minutes during which I was able to work with the new system today.

FWIW, I can't connect to webmail OR POP/IMAP. I just plain can't get SpamCop email. Just thought someone ought to know.
Hmm...take another look at the post immediately before yours in this topic....

And as for what's going on, I'm guessing it's this:

We can roll back easily. I'm monitoring things and may do that soon, at least as a test.

found here:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=47615

But the definition of "easily" wasn't clear, nor did he say..."rolling back now...system back up in X minutes"

Update/edit: POP and IMAP are back up...webmail is now producing fatal DB errors, but I suspect that will soon be resolved.

Followup: The old webmail is back up now.

DT

Fron the current login page:

[16:44 EDT] Obviously lots of problems today. I apologize about all this. We've gone back to the old webmail system. The new one appears to interact badly with the main database and cause it to crash when it's under load. Everything should be stable again now and we'll figure out the root cause of all this before we go any further.

JT: If there is any way for us to help testing this loading problem, please let us know. The Beta site seems down right now.

Fron the current login page:

JT: If there is any way for us to help testing this loading problem, please let us know. The Beta site seems down right now.

...JT: Do we need a new thread to allow reporting of questions, issues and problems found with the Beta now that the original conversation (Beta Test New Webmail) is Closed or shall we just reopen the original?

Hmm...take another look at the post immediately before yours in this topic....

And as for what's going on, I'm guessing it's this:

found here:

http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?...ost&p=47615

But the definition of "easily" wasn't clear, nor did he say..."rolling back now...system back up in X minutes"

Update/edit: POP and IMAP are back up...webmail is now producing fatal DB errors, but I suspect that will soon be resolved.

Followup: The old webmail is back up now.

Yup. Wish he'd thought to post a "We're taking the system down to put the old webmail back up." Also, I didn't realize that rolling back to the old webmail required taking the whole system off-line... *sigh* Oh, well... I won't gripe too much since I'm able to get my email anyway. <_<

OK, here's what went on today.

First, I don't mind the complaints and gripes. I realize people want this to be stable. People depend on it. I want it to be stable, trust me.

I flipped the switch on the webmail last night. The new webmail runs on different machines than the old webmail, newer, faster, etc. The database is the same and runs on a separate set of machines. Obviously there were some issues with the new webmail, but I was trying to work through them.

Around noon, I saw the first problems with the database. FYI, the database system is a MySQL Cluster, which keeps a complete duplicate of the database system on two different machines. Either machine can go down and the system keeps on running. This system has been in place for a couple of months, replacing an older system that also had redundancy, but not as nice as this one. If anyone remembers "database upgrades" that's when this system went live.

Anyway, one of the nodes crashed and had to be restarted. After that, it was pretty much downhill. All afternoon, one or another node crashed. We were having skyrocketing memory usage in the cluster nodes. At one point, one node got to where it wouldn't restart at all. At that point, I started the process of rolling back to the previous webmail. While I was working on that, the other database node crashed and it will no longer restart either. I believe we're seeing a different usage pattern with the new webmail, maybe some heavier memory requirements, and some MySQL bugs as well. The MySQL devs have already identified one bug that might be affecting us in this cluster environment.

When we went totally down, I shifted focus to getting a database back up. This took several minutes because it wasn't a trivial task. When the database was back up, I brought up the old webmail which I was in the middle of bringing up anyway.

Now, my focus is on stabilizing the database and making it redundant again. We have backups. We probably won't go the cluster route. It was supposed to make things more stable, but we've had more database issues since installing it than in the years previous.

After that, I want to bring the webmail back up on a spamcop.net hostname other than webmail.spamcop.net. This will let us test the cookie issues. I could have done that before, but I thought since the setup was the same as the old system that there wouldn't be an issue.

At this point, I don't know how many of the logouts, etc. were actually fixed before we switched back. I know we were having connection problems just getting to the database at times which would log you off. I don't think most of our problems were due to that, but some were and I might have fixed it with the other changes I made.

I've got a huge headache and have been struggling with this all day. Things are stable now. I won't be responding to the bugs, but I did save all of the emails. When I bring the new system back for more testing, I'll try to address that stuff then.

I apologize about all the hassles today. Thanks for your patience.

JT

Archived