Idiot Posting, no facts, no research, no clue

rapoocat

Amazing !!!

I have three friends who I cannot contact by e-mail because SpamCop bounces my e-mails to them, yet not one of them has a subscription to SpamCop, indeed none of them has even heard of SpamCop !!!

How can this be ?

Looks like SpamCop is some kind of faschist virus which is spreading and maliciously blocking e-mails from ordinary people, but is really doing absolutely nothing about the real spam.

Explain to me how SpamCop can block mail to people who have never heard of it !

Frankly, I think SpamCop is the virus !!!

SpamCop is blocking my e-mails to three friends, not one of whom has ever heard of SpamCop never mind subscribing to it.

I wonder how much it costs to get an IP unblocked. Could SpamCop be the first internet protection racket ?

Looks like it to me !

Moderator Edit: Off-topic Post from Thread "virused hosts again!" - extracted and moved to the Lounge

Admin Edit: then merged into an existing Topic opened up by the same user .... same rant, same garbage .....

Explain to me how SpamCop can block mail to people who have never heard of it !

You'd have got a speedier answer just by reading the FAQ at http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2238

Especially the sections labelled 'How does SpamCop reporting work?' and 'Why am I Blocked?'

But essentially the ISP you are sending Email to has chosen to use the SpamCop BL to filter Email. So you may not have 'subscribed' but the ISP of the person you are writing to has (or the company if it isn't an ISP account).

Andrew

Thanks for that.

I'll have my friends complain about SpamCop to their ISP as they are as pissed off as I am that they are not reseiving mail from their friends. They tell me a lot of their friends complain about being blocked.

The sooner we get everyone to complain, the sooner we can get rid of SpamCop and it's fascist "block whole ISP" tactics. This is taking a nuclear bomb to crack a walnut !

The sooner we get everyone to complain, the sooner we can get rid of SpamCop and it's fascist "block whole ISP" tactics. This is taking a nuclear bomb to crack a walnut !

You don't say which ISP you are using but if I was a betting man I'd guess at Orange/Wanadoo/FreeServe They seem to have a major spam problem from the UK recently.

The issue isn't with SpamCop but in the way that the receiving ISPs use the information SC makes available. SpamCop specifically recommends that the information is only used as a means of scoring incoming Emails so that potential spam is identified. The intent being that any messages that fail the 'test' are then placed in a spam folder so the recipient can double check when it is convenient. That's exactly how the SpamCop Email service works.

However, many ISPs simply reject the incoming message because of the cost to them of accepting so much junk. Remember around 80% of all Email travelling around the world is now unsolicited junk Email.

Andrew

Correct.

They are all now owned by Orange, and is pretty much the biggest ISP in the UK. It's a numbers game. The more people use the system the more likelyhood that someone is using it for spam, or one of these spam viruses is getting in through the sheer number of people who use the system.

What I find insidious about SpamCop is that by blocking the whole ISP they are blocking a huge proportion of UK e-mails. SpamCop seems to be a rather unintelligent anti-spam programme and not really very useful when it blocks so many genuine e-mails. I'm not impressed, and from the amount of people on this forum with similar problems it looks like SpamCop is becoming a focus of hate from all over the planet.

I now have three friends that I can't contact except by phone, and they tell me they are having more and more of their friends having the same problem. I shall delight in telling them the reason why, and have them complain to their ISP that SpamCop is blocking whole ISPs to make it look like they are stopping spam, but really they are just stopping e-mail.

For myself, I'll be changing my ISP and I will make certain sure that the one I sign up with has nothing to do with SpamCop !

SpamCop has to be an American idea. They are the people who usually see themselves as the policeman of the world, and they are also the ones who usually make a mess of the policing by hurting those they are trying to help !!!!

What I find insidious about SpamCop is that by blocking the whole ISP they are blocking a huge proportion of UK e-mails. SpamCop seems to be a rather unintelligent anti-spam programme and not really very useful when it blocks so many genuine e-mails. I'm not impressed, and from the amount of people on this forum with similar problems it looks like SpamCop is becoming a focus of hate from all over the planet.

I, too, am from the UK. I use the SpamCop BL and I make the decision whether to block or not.

I can, if I wish, use the SCBL to reject Email or simply, as I do, move it to one side for attention when I have time.

I wish you well in your search for an ISP in the UK that does not use SpamCop's BL. There are very few. But remember, whether or not your ISP uses the SCBL is irrelevant. It is the recipient's ISP that is critical so you really need to get your contacts to move to an ISP that is using any of the so-called DNSBLs responsibly. There are dozens of these block-lists around. SpamCop is just one.

You switch needs to be to an ISP that tackles the spam problem effectively. There are plenty of those in the UK but, as you recognise, typically the smaller companies are more likely to take a customer friendly approach and be able to give you the support you rightly expect in resolving the problem.

Andrew

Frankly, I think SpamCop is the virus !!!

You are either part of the spam problem or part of the solution. You are definitely part of the problem since uneducated end users are the biggest problem.

And you are rude as well. The original poster asked for help and your reply has nothing whatsoever to do with helping him.

Miss Betsy

For myself, I'll be changing my ISP and I will make certain sure that the one I sign up with has nothing to do with SpamCop !

You should better watch out not to sign up with a spam-friendly ISP again!

Wanadoo/Orange/Freeserve is a bunch of f*cking nitwits who don't care about the abuse going on on their networks. One could even argue you are actively supporting spam by giving them money.

A. Friend

Some background ..... user's first attempt at Registration here was Banned before the Validation process was accomplished. User attempted again and managed to Validate this second account while I was elsewhere. As was suspected in the Banning of the first attempted account, there was no initial pretext of someone wanting 'help' .....

Had there been any assistance desired, perhaps a small search would have been performed prior to even thinking of posting. One would think that even the latest 'large' discussion at Blacklisted - another Wanadoo customer, Orange/Wanadoo/Freeserve would have come up with out breaking a sweat.

Back to the fact that the FAQs are linked to in several places, mentioned many times, and do include links to "how it all works" .. how to get help .. how to ask a question .. on and on .... but none of this data looked at prior to registering just so the idiotic rant could be posted, compounded by the use of absurd and inflammatory language ...... hard to figure some folks out.

There is still an opportunity for this user (and his three friends) to learn something here ..... but, this is going to be a very small window. Additional rant material (Lounge or not) will result in another Admin action. Debating facts is one thing, foaming at the mouth while spitting out idiotic descriptions, lies, fallicies, falsehoods, etc. just doesn't fly here.

The sooner we get everyone to complain, the sooner we can get rid of SpamCop and it's fascist "block whole ISP" tactics.

That's not how the SCBL works and anyone with a day's worth of education on blocking lists would know that. It lists SPECIFIC IPs, so if your friends are listed on the SCBL, it's because THEIR IP sent mail that was caught in a spamtrap or reported. Either take it up with their ISP or, heaven forbid, check to see if they have an infected machine.

Archived