Blocked Email - IP not blocked on lookup page

ariel817

Had anyone else from my company tried to solve this.... they'd have not had a clue what an IP address is, let alone how to figure out ours.

Maybe -- the message board message when you start a new topic in the block list help area could have a blank that specifically SAYS IP address (and a link to how to find out what IP address you are on for the unknowing)...

That seems to be the common issue -- people want to think in terms of domains, and not IPs. The majority of people barely know what an IP is. So even the help files that say post IP address doesn't help that much with that kind of user..

I dunno, just an idea.... I know how many people in my office don't know what an IP is, and as soon as a help is posted without one, the automatic response is you don't have enough info to really help.

If you don't know, ask. I am technically non-fluent also and although at one time I knew how to find out IP addresses, I am not sure exactly how to go about it now. I have been trying to remember because I need to know an IP address which I think I have blocked and shouldn't. I don't have the money to hire a professional so I will either find it by googling or ask someone here if I get totally frustrated.

The problem is that having a website, a domain, and email needs an administrator who knows these things. If you don't, then you are going to run into technical problems. If your car needs a tune-up, do you try to do it yourself? It's possible with the help of manuals and people who will help you for free. And there are a lot of professionals on this forum who will help you. But, generally, when your car needs a tune-up, you hire a mechanic.

Miss Betsy

Later: I googled 'find IP addresses' and found several sites. One of them was to get your IP address. Another, which I used, was dnsstuff mentioned by someone else. Some people don't want to know where the air filter is on their automobile (do they actually have air filters any more? I know they don't have carbureutors - I think they still have vacuum hoses.), but they can identify the sound an automobile makes when something goes wrong and then they take it to a mechanic to fix. Other people, either out of necessity or inclination, will learn to do it themselves.

...Done? IP Address and references to "IP Address" in What is the SpamCop Blocking List (SCBL)?

I was going with thre flow on the "This is your IP address" display thing. It's just that we get so many folks already coming in here with those exact words, but the e-mail server IP address actually involved is 'way over there' ...

Woeking on some way to convery it along the lines of 'this is what one looks like (yours happens to be .......) but ... you need to find the one that's associated with your outgoing e-mail server" .. now that's where the hard part comes in .....

1. in the rejection message (already asked for in several places, and only works if that ISP did it correctly)

2. directions to send e-mail to another account, then provode those headers (can see the complaints now)

3. ask your ISP (yeah, right in most cases)

4. as StevenUnderwood has done so many times in the past ... provide an e-mail address for them to send e-mail to ...

5. point back to the FAQ and the vaious "How to read headers" stuff

6. ??????

6. ??????
With the smaller providers you can get the outgoing servers from the domain name (DNSStuff on the email address to get the MX, SenderBase on that to see whatever other "sending" servers - sometimes direct to SenderBase on domain name. Heaps of other tool but these ones are fairly easy to use.

But Comcast, Verizon, whatever - has to be one of the more direct ways for them. Hmm - DNSStuff pages show the users IPA, thus an alternative way to get that (as said, mostly useless in terms of mail).

With the smaller providers you can get the outgoing servers from the domain name (DNSStuff on the email address to get the MX, SenderBase on that to see whatever other "sending" servers - sometimes direct to SenderBase on domain name. Heaps of other tool but these ones are fairly easy to use.

Yeah .. I think I recall wading through SenderBase listing of about 20 or so once .. finding three listed .... which still really didn't help directly .... basically decided that night that I wasn't going to waste my time going through all that again ...

But Comcast, Verizon, whatever - has to be one of the more direct ways for them. Hmm - DNSStuff pages show the users IPA, thus an alternative way to get that (as said, mostly useless in terms of mail).

And as you say, when I look at something like "listing 1 out of 100+" ... nope .. research comes to a halt pretty quickly ...

4. as StevenUnderwood has done so many times in the past ... provide an e-mail address for them to send e-mail to ...

This one is the most effective, IMO, in that people often give their domain name, and then we waste time looking up the MX and speculating, when they might not even be sending through that box in the first place, or the IP of the shared box is entirely different than the IP assigned to a particular domain. I've seen lots and lots of time and effort wasted here that could have been saved by urging (or even forcing, ie "no more help until you send us a test email") someone to send an email for inspection.

DT

Archived