Posting time on boards off by one hour

It is just me , or did the board's server not 'Fall back' on time change?

I have my options on this site set for "Auto DST" and GMT-5,

But for example about 9AM US Eastern and the post will show about 10AM Eastern.

Moderator edit: title only

I have my options on this site set for "Auto DST" and GMT+5,

But for example about 9AM US Eastern and the post will show about 10AM Eastern.

I think you mean GMT -5

It is working fine for me

You many need to log out, close your connection and log back in as you may have kept an open session that did not allow the the change to occur.

Post #1: xzr1tv Nov 3 2006, 08:05 AM

Post #2: dbiel Nov 3 2006, 08:31 AM

dbiel's quoted section includes QUOTE(xzr1tv [at] Nov 3 2006, 06:05 AM) suggesting that it was quoted a couple of hours before it was written (based on the numbers on my screen)

The real question though goes to what is showing as "system time" at the bottom right of the (default) screen .... It is showing correctly from 'my house' .... which is in a different Timezone than the server ...

dbiel's quoted section includes QUOTE(xzr1tv [at] Nov 3 2006, 06:05 AM) suggesting that it was quoted a couple of hours before it was written (based on the numbers on my screen)

The real question though goes to what is showing as "system time" at the bottom right of the (default) screen .... It is showing correctly from 'my house' .... which is in a different Timezone than the server ...

Time stamps as currently displayed on my screen which is set for PST GMT -800

Post #1: xzr1tv Nov 3 2006, 6:05AM

Post #2: dbiel Nov 3 2006, 6:31AM

QUOTE(xzr1tv [at] Nov 3 2006, 0605 AM)

As a test I changed my time zone to GMT -600 which is the same as Wazoo is in, which resulted in the same as Wazoo posted and quoted at the top of this post.

It would appear that the time stamps of individual posts are automaticly adjusted for the users time zone, but any quoted time stamp becomes locked using the time zone of the user doing the posting.

It is interesting that no one ever noticed this before.

Edit: note that this post was posted while I was still set for GMT -600 resulting is a posting time stamp that is actually 2 hours earlier than the post was actually made which was GMT -800

As of now, after you came back up, the time is correct!!

Thanks!

<snip>

It is interesting that no one ever noticed this before.

<snip>

...Speak for thyself, knave! :) <g> I noticed but just "accepted" that that was the way it was "supposed to work." Kind of makes sense -- the quoted information becomes text, not a timestamp, to the Forum software ....

...Speak for thyself, knave! :) <g> I noticed but just "accepted" that that was the way it was "supposed to work." Kind of makes sense -- the quoted information becomes text, not a timestamp, to the Forum software ....
Kudos - It is not too many times that anyone gets one up on Wazoo.

PS, I guess I should have said "It is interesting that no one ever commented this before".

Wazoo, could you open a ticket to request a change in the format of the quote time stamp to include the GMT offset to help avoid confusion. - Thank you.

PS, I guess I should have said "It is interesting that no one ever commented this before".

Wazoo, could you open a ticket to request a change in the format of the quote time stamp to include the GMT offset to help avoid confusion. - Thank you.

Hmmm, that would tie right in one one that I opened up years ago .. another one of those answered with "in a future release" .. then it disappeared during one of the massive IPS/IPB Forum reorganizations ... the same issue is there for those folks that request and receive a 'name' change. The code handles all the critical stuff just fine, but ... when quoted on a follow-on post, when an Edit line has been added to a post ... the original name remains. End result, when I fo a name change, I then have to find all that user's previous posts, jump into all those Topics, and manually edit any of those posts with the old data showing ...

Yes, the issue is that the text being discussed here is no longer a "data" item floating in a specific database field devoted to 'that' data ... it is simply a bit of text within that 'post content' field. The last time this came up was with the 'relative' time settings being in use (today, yesterday, 4 hours ago, etc.)

Technically, I'd say there's no easy way to do it at all ... basically, all the code put in place to prevent folks from trying to embed various bad things into a post would also put the cahoots on trying to embed a 'variable' as a placeholder within the text / post-body.

On the other hand, simply adding the GMT offset to the quote string should be possible ... note made to experiment here ...

Kudos - It is not too many times that anyone gets one up on Wazoo.

<snip>

...Not a chance -- until Wazoo loses about 75% of his current brain power! :) <g>

<snip>

...There we go! :) <g>

Archived