Hosting overseas and being blocked

corpcross

I just hosted with mail2.isol.cz (in Czech Republic) and everything seemed fine with the exception of AOL. This is the message I get:

From: Mail Delivery System [mailto:MAILER-DAEMON[at]mail2.isol.cz]

Sent: Tuesday, November 07, 2006 11:17 PM

To: alexr[at]corpcrossings.com

Subject: Undelivered Mail Returned to Sender

This is the Postfix program at host mail2.isol.cz.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<Levr7[at]aol.com>: connect to mailin-03.mx.aol.com[64.12.138.120]: server refused

to talk to me: 554- (RTR:CH)

http://postmaster.info.aol.com/errors/554rtrch.html

Not sure what to do about it. Also, a lot of my e-mails and Outlook Meeting invites are being dropped.

Help!

Alex.

I just hosted with mail2.isol.cz (in Czech Republic) and everything seemed fine with the exception of AOL.

Hi Alex,

This is not connected to the SpamCop blocklist and will probably be moved to the lounge by the moderators.

AOL is very aggressive in their spam blocking systems. They will block individual mail systems for many interesting and strange reasons. Avoinding their blocks can be very difficult. Some of the requirements are that you have Sender Policy Framework (SPF) entries for your mail server.

You can raise it with your host provider and they may be able to reach an agreement with AOL. But I have to say you'll find it quite a struggle. Especially since AOL members have actually complained about your ISP's members sending unsolicted Email.

Andrew

...AOL is very aggressive in their spam blocking systems. They will block individual mail systems for many interesting and strange reasons. Avoinding their blocks can be very difficult. Some of the requirements are that you have Sender Policy Framework (SPF) entries for your mail server....
Just to expand on Andrew's point, there appear to be a number of potential sticking points for a fastidious receiver concerning your mailservice - see http://www.dnsreport.com/tools/dnsreport.c...rpcrossings.com

You should certainly have your host involved in trying to meet AOL's requirements, whatever they might be. Your host does look remarkably spam-free on a quick check of servers. That might have some sway in any resolution.

Archived