newbies question..

STRESSKILLER

...Nope, not I -- SpamCop. I'm just a user of the SpamCop reporting service, just like you (except I may have been at it longer than you have :) )....That's okay, SpamCop isn't here to get a complete picture. It's just here to help us reporters determine the right place (abuse addresses) to send our reports....It's a computer program, it can never be made as smart as us humans.... :)...That's not what it decides. It only offers the places (abuse e-mail addresses) to send the reports and then, if we agree, sends them for us....That's the parser. It also warns you to be sure that it really is spam, because it's a dumb (well, not really that dumb, but dumber than you) computer program and doesn't know!

...Remember, when you signed up for SpamCop reporting (http://www.spamcop.net/anonsignup.shtml), you agreed to the following (note especially bullets number 3 and 4):

done that already before i started posting here :P , that goes for al my mail account that i collect from my server xxx[at]domain1.xxx and xxx[at]domain2.xxx etc etc etc .

done that already before i started posting here :P , that goes for al my mail account that i collect from my server xxx[at]domain1.xxx and xxx[at]domain2.xxx etc etc etc .

'done "what" already' ..???? maybe if you'd snipped out what you weren't replying to ...??? but even line by line, I can't sort out what you are 'agreeing' to already have done .....

I am glad you have your Mailwasher filter set so exactly than you are sure that all it tags as spam is really spam. I have never been able to do that - and the filters other people use also occasionally catch one of my emails for no discernable reason.

Thanks for that sound advice - I will try to delve into the intricacies, but basically I want a painless way to reduce my spam, without studying the complexities - if I can help others by reporting then - great - but it still keeps coming, and if I can tell by the title, address list, or first line that it is spam then surely a machine can pick it out!

I have played with my Mailwasher filters to eliminate obvious spam, but what I rely on, (and this is also time consuming) is reading the incoming list, in which Mailwasher usually provides a Spamcop reporting box , then ticking this box, and also the Blacklist, Bounce and Delete boxes.

This conscious choice to report it surely means that I consider it is spam, and I don't know why I have to reconfirm when I get the mail from SpamCop Autoresponder that it is again spam. It seems to be duplication of effort.

Paul Akehurst de Visme

This conscious choice to report it surely means that I consider it is spam, and I don't know why I have to reconfirm when I get the mail from SpamCop Autoresponder that it is again spam. It seems to be duplication of effort.

There is no "duplication" of effort ...

Step 1 - you submit your spam

Step 2 - you analyze the parse results to ensure that te targets selected are valid

Step 3 - you tell the SpamCop.net system to actually send your Report/Complaint

You have chosen to use Mailwasher to get in the middle of it ... if there is an issue with the way MailWasher works for you, this needs to be taken up with those folks. If you want to try a different strategy in your SpamCop.net reporting, then you're going to have to do some research and learn to use those other options.

I'll be happy to set you up with "quick" reporting, but it's a high-risk process for us because of the potential reporting errors if everything isn't set up right, so first you need to run our Mailhost configuration utility so that SpamCop can create a list of the services that handle your email so that our system will know what servers to trust when you report your spam. You'll need to configure a host for *all* (each) of the networks/hosts you receive mail through.

That would include any webmail hosts, such as Yahoo, HotMail, or gMail, and forwarding services like Bigfoot or Sneakemail, and any other services that provide you an email address, such as alumni associations or professional associations.

You can accomplish that by logging into your SpamCop account at http://www.spamcop.net and using the Mailhosts link to tell SpamCop about *all* of your service providers, forwarding services, and webmail hosts. You need to register one email address for each network/host that handles your email.

Once you start configuring hosts, you can't report spam again until you get them all on your list because the Mailhost system completely changes the way SpamCop looks at your spam.

As soon as you're finished, and you've reported some spam to make sure things are working right, let me know and I'll set you up with "quick" reporting.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

service[at]admin.spamcop.net

already setup my mailhost like i stated before it's my own mail server.

i also tried it the way it wad described at mailwasher forum:

http://wiki.castlecops.com/SpamCop_Report_...eporting_option

but that didn't work never saw a link enable quick reporting ...

so if you can and will enable my account for quick reporting it would be very nice .

[at]Wazoo

sorry wrong quote there

i also tried it the way it wad described at mailwasher forum:

http://wiki.castlecops.com/SpamCop_Report_...eporting_option

I'd say you mis-read something there .... I saw nothing about "link enable quick reporting" ... I read it three or four times ... maybe you can point out where you saw this ...???

Better yet, post there to advise them that the MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account should happen before one asks for the Quick-Report approval .....

so if you can and will enable my account for quick reporting it would be very nice .

Also not in the instructions "there" or here .... not even really per Don's post in his Topic. You really need to "contact" him/Deputies directly, as he stated, the FAQs state, etc. .....

already setup my mailhost like i stated before it's my own mail server.

good. Now set up mailhosts for each and every email address that you will be using. Then make sure that your ISP is not being reported in any of the emails that you report to spamcop.

To quote from http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/QuickReporting/ , The "quick reporting" feature can only be activated by sending a request to service[at]admin.spamcop.net asking them to enable it. Setting up mailhosts does not enable "quick reporting". Both are two different things. But one of them (mailhosts configuration) is required for the other (quick reporting).

Does that answer your question?

raju

On my account, after starting a new mailhost configuration, there is a link at the bottom of the Mailhosts tab to re-enable Quick reporting. This link may only appear on accounts that were already configured with quick reporting.

I'd say you mis-read something there .... I saw nothing about "link enable quick reporting" ... I read it three or four times ... maybe you can point out where you saw this ...???

I believe this is the part he is referring to:

Now you will need to go back to your spamcop.net Hosts page, scroll down to the bottom of the page and click on "Activate quick reporting" which you will see there once it's turned on.

Archived