Outlook integration

OffBeatMammal

I'm an Outlook user (as I suspect many are) and it's very frustrating that when spam gets through the spamcop filters (luckily not that many, but enough to be annoying) I don't have an easy brainless way to report the offending crud to help the corpus.

I've seen this solution but it's not brainless enough for me ;)

I'd also love to see a way to integrate the bl.spamcop.net directly into my Outlook instance (as my hosting provider doesn't want to do it at the Exchange level) as a Junk rule (and then the reporting interface would really come into its own)

Been using Spamcop for a few years now and think it's a better solution than challenge/response etc but it would be nice to see a jump in the usability and reach of the userbase (because the webmail interface is still really horrible!)

Third party tools are out there .... both to report and to effectively user the SpamCopDNSBL, in addition to other BLs .... FAQs, How to use entries, How I use entries, among many other items of note found throughout this Forum structure ... nothing said about your issues with any of that data ...???

Third party tools are out there .... both to report and to effectively user the SpamCopDNSBL, in addition to other BLs .... FAQs, How to use entries, How I use entries, among many other items of note found throughout this Forum structure ... nothing said about your issues with any of that data ...???

when I first used to hang out on the news list and wade through the FAQs I always got the impression that the SpamCop forums housed a bunch of fairly unhelpful in-their-own-mind elite

I was hoping that poking my nose in here after a couple of years absence would have seen more approachable / usable FAQs and guides or people in the forums who's actually link to something that works rather than leave me to wade through a bunch of abandoned half-finished sourceforge projects that work with old versions of Outlook or are sub-optimal ports of linux utilities that require black arts to install

Maybe I was hoping for too much given SpamCop seems to be a law unto itself (it amused me no end that Google flagged the sign-up email as spam!) so for now I won't care about reporting the emails that make it through (spamcops loss, not mine - I'm a paying user with 2 accounts who happily contributes data to the corpus when it's easy... and in the 3-4 years I've been contributing there's been no effort IMO to actually make the process easier / smoother / more professional)

Forgive the possible over-reaction but the reason I left the community back in the pre-forums days was this attitude.

I'm an Outlook user (as I suspect many are) and it's very frustrating that when spam gets through the spamcop filters (luckily not that many, but enough to be annoying) I don't have an easy brainless way to report the offending crud to help the corpus.

OLSpamCop seems about as brainless as submitting can be: http://www.olspamcop.org/

I did have a download issue on the v3.0.4 but v3.0.3 works for me. I have only just started using it myself. Setting Outlook 2003 to forward as attachment did work, but was dropping some headers which bothered me but may not have strictly been against the rules.

It puts a toolbar withing Outlook to submit the junk you select. It does not do the blocking you are asking for. There are other tools, but I suspect many of them will not work in an Exchange/Outlook configuration. I only get a couple spam a week through my spam filters to my client, so have no reason to search for a fix.

when I first used to hang out on the news list and wade through the FAQs I always got the impression that the SpamCop forums housed a bunch of fairly unhelpful in-their-own-mind elite
...The two have almost no intersection. The pre-Forum FAQs were and are totally under the control of the official SpamCop team and almost all of the newsgroup denizens are, as are almost all of the Forum participants, users. For the most part, folks that participate in the newsgroups are not the same as those who participate in the Forums.
I was hoping that poking my nose in here after a couple of years absence would have seen more approachable / usable FAQs and guides
...Have you had a look at the "SpamCop FAQ" (see link near upper left corner of almost all Forum pages) or "SCWiki" (see link near top center of almost all forum pages)? Are they better? If not, please help us out by adding Forum FAQ and/ or Wiki entires of your own and/ or suggestions to improve those that are already there!
or people in the forums who's actually link to something that works rather than leave me to wade through a bunch of abandoned half-finished sourceforge projects that work with old versions of Outlook or are sub-optimal ports of linux utilities that require black arts to install
...Sorry, that stuff takes volunteer developers who are pretty much outside our circle here.
Maybe I was hoping for too much given SpamCop seems to be a law unto itself (it amused me no end that Google flagged the sign-up email as spam!)
...Sorry, I don't see the link here -- can you expand on your point here?
so for now I won't care about reporting the emails that make it through (spamcops loss,
...Not really. SpamCop is:
  • a service that allows us users to easily find the source of and generate reports to the abuse address of the source of spam
  • a list of IP addresses representing spam sources that have met the criteria for being listed

Your failing to report your spam potentially affects only other victims of the spam you are getting and then only if they use the SpamCop blacklist to filter or reject e-mail and your report is the tipping point that gets the spam source IP address listed.

not mine - I'm a paying user with 2 accounts who happily contributes data to the corpus when it's easy... and in the 3-4 years I've been contributing there's been no effort IMO to actually make the process easier / smoother / more professional)

<snip>

...And this is a problem why? We other users appreciate your reporting whatever you wish to report and accept that you don't report those that are "not easy" for you to report. Thanks! :) <g>

OLSpamCop seems about as brainless as submitting can be: http://www.olspamcop.org/

I did have a download issue on the v3.0.4 but v3.0.3 works for me. I have only just started using it myself. Setting Outlook 2003 to forward as attachment did work, but was dropping some headers which bothered me but may not have strictly been against the rules.

It puts a toolbar withing Outlook to submit the junk you select. It does not do the blocking you are asking for. There are other tools, but I suspect many of them will not work in an Exchange/Outlook configuration. I only get a couple spam a week through my spam filters to my client, so have no reason to search for a fix.

Hi Steven,

thanks for that - clear, helpful non-defensive response that points to a soluton ;)

sadly it doesn't seem to work with OL2007 but that's my fault for using a beta product at the moment

All I want is a one-click "quick report" that's as esy to use as the quick report in the webmail interface. It's all I've wanted since I started using SpamCop but every time I've raised a head abov the parapet and suggested that something useful like that would be worth looking at I end up wondeing why I bothered!

I'd hoped that with IronPort owning SpamCop and putting some corporate muscle behind the product it would start to expand it's support for things like Outlook rather than (when it was an underground/community thing) relying on hobby developers to hack together macros

• 1 month later...

on reporting, my #1 problem is having to go to the spamcop website and clicking to submit every single spam AFTER I've sent in the spam via OLspamcop.

anybody have a way around this?

it's way too much work to process every one of the 200+ spams I get every day via the website. Now, if I could submit them all with one click....

on reporting, my #1 problem is having to go to the spamcop website and clicking to submit every single spam AFTER I've sent in the spam via OLspamcop.

anybody have a way around this?

it's way too much work to process every one of the 200+ spams I get every day via the website. Now, if I could submit them all with one click....

As already stated, YOU need to click those links to confirm where YOU are sending YOUR reports. After a while of careful reporting this way, you can ask the deputies to enable quick reporting which is quicker (reports sent automatically) but is also more dangerous (reports sent automatically).

I more or less get the way SpamCop is set up and greatly appreciate that the organizers/developers/moderators are providing a great service for no direct benefit. I think I also understand some of the legal and organizational issues around the sensitive task of providing the spamcop list.

My only thought is whether the improvements over the last few years in helping even non-sophisticated users identify spam have made the 'total newbie clicks and reports their amazon confirmation email' scenario far less likely. Even my parents have a spam filter these days that reliably identifies their spam and puts it in a folder.

If a main issue is personal responsibility so WE can report OUR spam and have it be OUR responsibility, I think I can confirm this if all of the spam i reported with olspamcop can be reviewed on a single page. Is the issue that the current mechanism was approved in one of the lawsuits?

I love the tool and the feeling that I'm doing something to help others - it would just be great if it were available to a larger audience.

If a main issue is personal responsibility so WE can report OUR spam and have it be OUR responsibility, I think I can confirm this if all of the spam i reported with olspamcop can be reviewed on a single page. Is the issue that the current mechanism was approved in one of the lawsuits?

The way I read your words, you are missing the primary point of 'your' responsibility. Sure, you don't want to (necessarily) be reporting Mom's e-mail. The issue is the parse results and the targeting/sending of those reports.

You now have several of your Topics making the suggestion to look up something about Quick-Reporting. You have not said a word about the results of any of that research on your part.

Had you done any of that research, you'd have found warnings about things that go wrong .. and that's just the FAQ entries ... the posts, Topics, Discussions are seemingly never-ending from folks that manage to report themselves/their own ISP ....

As you have noted, SpamCop.net has been around for a lot longer than your third-party tool. Once again, what do they have to say about your requested change in how it works?

Archived