SpamCop Complaint

TnTodd

Some how SpamCop has been involved in getting one of my sites shut down. The thing is we don't even send out ANY e-mails.

Just some Jask-ass sending out junk claiming to be from us.

How can SpamCop blame us even though the e-mails are coming from a different country, a free e-mail address, and using a contact information not associated with us?

This has given me a great idea of how I can get rid of competition though.

...No, it doesn't. You could have done a bit of research by scouting around a bit to find out how it really works. The SpamCop FAQ (link near top left of most nearly all SpamCop Forum pages) would be a good place to start.

...You also posted to the "Geek/Tech Things" forum. Admittedly, the description of the forum doesn't quite come right out and say it, but general rants don't belong there but are welcome in the "SpamCop Lounge" forum (to where I am going to move this as soon as I am done with my reply).

...Thanks for participating!

Some how SpamCop has been involved in getting one of my sites shut down. The thing is we don't even send out ANY e-mails.

How can SpamCop blame us even though the e-mails are coming from a different country, a free e-mail address, and using a contact information not associated with us?

1. Please provide some data to backup your points so we can straighten out your problem.

2. If you are talking about a website being shut down, that is entirely up to your ISP. Any messages spamcop sends to ISP's re:spamvertized web sites is only informational. The ISP should be looking into the case and determine if you are involved at all.

3. It sounds like you may be taking the reply address and information as the true sender of the message. In most spam, those addresses are fakes. The source needs to be determined by the received headers in the message itself. This does not matter to you if my guess about a spamvertized site in point 2 is true.

4. If your ISP closed you down for one report of a spamvertized link, you should be talking to them and possibly finding a new host.

Welcome to the club, do not expect any help from anybody here.

I have been monitoring an IP number I use when sending email and for the last 6 months it has only appeared on the SpamCop RBL.

IT MAKES YOU THINK,

why only SpamCop

Go to http://www.robtex.com, enter your IP number and see for yourself.

SpamCop's RBL should be shut down for incorrect listings

???? help, data, information provided on a daily basis, basically 24/7/365 .... Of course, that's to folks that actually ask for help, provide some data to work with, etc.

I have been monitoring an IP number I use when sending email and for the last 6 months it has only appeared on the SpamCop RBL.

IT MAKES YOU THINK,

Six months gone by, FAQs available here, Wiki available here, the 'Official' FAQ available on the home page .. the only thing it makes "me think" is that you really aren't all that concerned about the issue, else you'd have looked somethng up, asked a question ..... something beyond "monitoring and wondering" .....

why only SpamCop

Easy answer; each and every BL works with their own rules, procedures, data ..... Your question really boils down to why the IP address in question keeps getting listed, and for the answer, you need to provide some data or actually do your own research.

Posting such (yes, I will say it here) stupid rants isn't going to resolve anything.

By the way, RBL is a Registered 'word' .. originally to MAPS, which has since changed hands a few times ....

Later Edit: Ahh, I see .. from your previous posts, an avid SpamCop.net hater .... no wonder you feel the "get no help here" sensation .. of course, none of those posts asked any questions either ..... having no connection to Spamhaus and seeing some silly statistics, no idea why you waste the time 'here' ....

IT MAKES YOU THINK,

why only SpamCop

Go to http://www.robtex.com, enter your IP number and see for yourself.

Every blocklist has different criteria for listings... some are for being in a certain country, some are for open relays, spamcop is for spam reports either to the spamtraps or to its reporters. SpamCop is designed to be an "early warning system" for administrators who are paying attention. It sounds like the admins of your IP address are paying attention and fix the problems before it gets put on lists that are harder, if not impossible, to get off of.

Administrators using DNSBL's generally know the criteria and balance the inconvienience with the amount of spam a list blocks. Most admins (myself included) feel SpamCop is very beneficial.

If you would like to provide your IP address, we can let you know about any of the human reports we can see.

Archived