Report sent without response!

hutchi

Hi, Harry!

...Sorry, no SpamCop Administrators here (usually) but perhaps one of us other SpamCop reporting users can help you.

...Can you please expand on your question? I can not tell from what little you said what you mean by "But I don't get the usual spam process." Also, please tell us whether you are submitting your spam via the web interface at http://www.spamcop.net/, by sending it as an e-mail attachment to your secret reporting address (submit.<your16charCode>[at]spam.spamcop.net) or from a SpamCop e-mail account. Thanks!

Thanks Steve for replying.

Yes, I'm sending it as an email attachment to my secret reporting address and upon submission, there should be a processing email return for me to complete the reporting. But for this past few days, I have sent more than 5 times and I don't get the processing email. What could be wrong? Thanks again for helping.

Harry

... But for this past few days, I have sent more than 5 times and I don't get the processing email. ...
Hi Harry. Could be a number of things - this FAQ was written as an explanation and a diagnostic to track down the reason - Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing?, No Confirmation e-mails?. Can you work through the process and let us know how you get on? [it looks like you know better than to do so, but just to be sure, please don't paste your secret reporting address here, in any of the discussion that might follow.]

Thank you, Farelf for the direction!

I have read the Wazoo's post and I have made some testing. I have used web submission and email batch submission as well. On web submission, most of the submission all go through. But email batch submission some get response and some don't. Finally, I found out that a particular type of email included in the batch will cause no response and excluding it will get response. And I have submitted that particular email in single attachment submission and turn out it never get a response from the application server. I assumed that all email submission go through A-C route and fail either on D or E point. So, the email batch submission was never processed.

Also, this particular email when submitted via web, it goes well with response.

Harry

... But email batch submission some get response and some don't. Finally, I found out that a particular type of email included in the batch will cause no response and excluding it will get response. And I have submitted that particular email in single attachment submission and turn out it never get a response from the application server. I assumed that all email submission go through A-C route and fail either on D or E point. So, the email batch submission was never processed.

Also, this particular email when submitted via web, it goes well with response. ...

Thanks for the feedback Harry. It sounds like your email service is doing some filtering. I suspect mine does the same. I email in batches what I know will go through and report the rest (not many) through the web form.

To: Wazoo

1. I just had the simlar problem, submitted a report two times and did not get a email followup to finalize the the report. Further, still only receiving 50% of all bcc of reports submitted and processed.

URL - it may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1150933058z8...9e521f23411718z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1150907413z3...06e935097ff4c7z

2. Submitted the report again via web site and was processed immediately.

After processing via web the other reports (email submitted) showed up on the web reporting site to report.

Note: Just received email response to process for one of the above (2 hrs later 1-1 1/2 hrs after it showed up on the web site to report) and one still pending.

Number 2 just showed up, about 1-1 1/2 hrs after posted to the web site to report.

Submitted a new email report (1:43)===2:43 email response

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1151031096za...2b545616184334z

Sounds like something going on with the Spamcop email server etal (overload)?

tweek time

thanks

Note some unusual spikes in the spamstats graph for submissions - without accompanying rises in reports. Definitely something going on.

SC processing or server problems complicate the observation of any issues with the reporter's MSP (such as filtering). If you have an MSP blocking problem it will be consistent/constant and if it is selective the basis of selectivity will be/become fairly obvious.

It might be nice to know what causes the various things seen in the spamstats and to confirm that some of these are associated with variable performance (apart from the drops in both submissions and reports - blanks - which are self-evident).

To: Wazoo

Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff User Guide ... just a volunteer with access to the server this Forum runs on ....

1. I just had the simlar problem, submitted a report two times and did not get a email followup to finalize the the report. Further, still only receiving 50% of all bcc of reports submitted and processed.

2. Submitted the report again via web site and was processed immediately.

After processing via web the other reports (email submitted) showed up on the web reporting site to report.

In general, I think this is basically pointing back to the fact that the "submit by e-mail" process was put into place as a way to resolve some of the complaints from folks about having to sit on the screen while reporting a ton-load of spam ... the original concept was to hit the office, fire up your e-mail client, submit the spam, go on about your day ... sometime later in the day, as time became available, then one would actually 'handle' those spam submittal results. (Again noting, this type of submittal was never meant to be real-time, instantanious, etc.) Various hardware upgrades, software changes, hosting changes, more hardware upgrades, new users that came along much later now expecting 'immediate' response to these e-mail spam submittals, not knowing, understanding, or caring that this e-mail submittal process runs at a lower 'priority' than serveral other items in the Reporting & Parsing side of the house, only seeing that (for the most part) the replies were almost always 'immediate' .. so anything else was a "problem" .... And when a glitch shows up, creates a backlog, the time between submittal and a reply can be extremely huge. And as noted in numerous discussions previous to this, sometimes the spam gets processed but no reply e-mail gets generated, sometimes the spam doesn't get processed, sometimes .... on and on ....

Reminder: it's just a tool .. software running on hardware maintained by humans, and even that depends on having a cooperative 'net' connection to outside resources ... lot's of oppotunities for stuff to go wrong.

Sounds like something going on with the Spamcop email server etal (overload)?

tweek time

Terminology attack here ....

The "SpamCop E-Mail server" would normally suggest that one is talking about JT's hardware over in Georgia, U.S. east coast. However, the 'complaint' is about e-mail output from the Parsing & Reporting system hardware, basically owned, maintained by Ironport over in California, U.S. west coast. Separate companies involved actually, just providing different parts of the SpamCop.net tool-set.

Overload? It's possible ... a somewhat recent newsgroup thread had a user showing evidence that the Parsing & Reporting service side of the house had a failure of the SMTP engine used. With all the hardware upgrades installed trying to keep up with the increase of 'reporting' users, the gigantic increase in spammer's direct traffic in trying to overload those servers, it may in fact mean that more hardware (and impacted software codebase changes) may in fact be needed to also handle to outgoing e-mail traffic .. one would think that the folks getting paid while filling an "Engineering" position could see this and figure it out ..???? However, those folks don't make themselves known to us users ....

The 50% rate of return is also touched by the vaguaries and mysteries of the 'net' itself, including any filtering actions occuring at your own ISP. It's e-mail, nothing guaranteed there ... so not denying that you're seeing an issue/problem, just stating that from my side of the screen (you did start this with To: Wazoo) there's just not enough data for me to point my finger at the exact spot that would resolve your symptoms.

Archived