Character-set issues

Wazoo

Yesterday ... I saw rooster's Linerar post #21 .... way too much extra vertical whitespace ... Cyrillic characters displayed just fine .... QUick Edit to remove the white-space .. saved the post .. Cyrillic characters went to crap ....

Today, came in here due to a 'new' post ... Linear post #21 is showing Cyrillic characters just fine ....

I am so lost on what is actually going on when and where ....

Wazoo;

I must have way too much time on my hands to even ask this, but isn't there supposed to be a grace "Note" at the bottom of posts that you mess with to indicate an edit has been made? There isn't such a note on linear post #21.

À propos "vertical white space": is that something that only y'all would see? The post still appears identical to the way I copy/pasted it into docs immediately after posting it. There wasn't time for you to have alt-edited it. In other words, if you did make a correction to reduce whitespace, it didn't change anything I can see on my screen.

Partial response ('cause I don't know about the whitespace offhand - others may).

... isn't there supposed to be a grace "Note" at the bottom of posts that you mess with to indicate an edit has been made? There isn't such a note on linear post #21. ...
There's a checkbox for the insertion (or not) for the "grace note" AKA "Edit by". Wazoo is rather good about leaving it checked but Quick Edit doesn't offer the option. dbiel's post "elsewhere"
Clicking on Quick Edit the "Edit by" opintion will never be there, but clicking on "Full Edit" sometimes it is, sometimes it is not.

Note: if the option is there, the default for the check box is based on the current status of the post being edited. If the edit line does not appear in the post then the default is for the box to be unchecked, it the edit line does appear in the post, then the default is for the box to be checked.

To which it should be added that replicating intermittent conditions ("sometimes it is, sometimes it is not") is sometimes a problem (straight face).

[[√] Add the 'Edit by' line in this post? box was checked]

Partial response ('cause I don't know about the whitespace offhand - others may).There's a checkbox for the insertion (or not) for the "grace note" AKA "Edit by". Wazoo is rather good about leaving it checked but Quick Edit doesn't offer the option. dbiel's post "elsewhere"To which it should be added that replicating intermittent conditions ("sometimes it is, sometimes it is not") is sometimes a problem (straight face).

[[√] Add the 'Edit by' line in this post? box was checked]

Steve;

Well I'll be. I (almost) always use the Quick Edit and I don't think I'd ever noticed the purported "Option Box" before. Same time; there are a lot of things I over/underlook on a regular basis. I assumed the feature was an automatic 'fail safe' to hedge against the unlikelyhood of a sleepy headed admin making an accidental edit 'in perjurium' ; and forgetting about it next day.

I only provided the observation by way of feedback; not as a criticism of the way the board works or to suggest anything needed changing; BTW.

Rod,

... I don't think I'd ever noticed the purported "Option Box" before.
You're not the only one.
... I only provided the observation by way of feedback; not as a criticism of the way the board works or to suggest anything needed changing; BTW.
Thanks, we'll continue with the infallibility backed up by plausible deniability then ...

Noting you still have an outstanding query on:

Yesterday ... I saw rooster's Linerar post #21 .... way too much extra vertical whitespace ... Cyrillic characters displayed just fine .... QUick Edit to remove the white-space .. saved the post
... À propos "vertical white space": is that something that only y'all would see? The post still appears identical to the way I copy/pasted it into docs immediately after posting it. There wasn't time for you to have alt-edited it. In other words, if you did make a correction to reduce whitespace, it didn't change anything I can see on my screen.
Response invited.

I must have way too much time on my hands to even ask this, but isn't there supposed to be a grace "Note" at the bottom of posts that you mess with to indicate an edit has been made? There isn't such a note on linear post #21.

On one hand, yes, I edited the post, so yes, there should have been the added line. In this case, no (textual) content was changed, moved, altered, etc. Removal was limited to what amounts to a < br / > added in by the form code itself and basically the same bit as entered by you hitting the Enter/Return key on your keyboard (having been coded/decoded/coded/decoded several times between your keypress and the resulting display on my screen)

This whitespace thing is something I do almost in automatic mode these days .... some folks add extra space intentionally to 'set things off' .. other add those extra 'keystrokes' to possibly add some impact (???) .... some don't pay any attention to any of it <g> .... having to scroll, scroll, scroll to follow the flow is a bit silly, when removing much of that un-needed 'extra' vertical whitespace results in seeing the question and a reply or two on the same screen makes things easier to follow/understand ....

As noted, if I actually fired up the 'full edit' on every post I touched this way, and added that extra line, the first adds a whole lot of mouse-clicks to the event ... full-edit mode selection, make edits, check the box, save the post, browser back-up two pages, do a screen refresh, go to the next post .... and adding in the Edited By: box and its resulting added vertical whitespace kind if defeats the whole purpose.

In the other case, where content is modified, added, altered, etc. .... this would be done with a 'full edit' and box checked so it is known that I did make a substantial change to that post's contents. And if there's to be any fallout about the change, it is known who to complain to/about <g>

À propos "vertical white space": is that something that only y'all would see? The post still appears identical to the way I copy/pasted it into docs immediately after posting it. There wasn't time for you to have alt-edited it. In other words, if you did make a correction to reduce whitespace, it didn't change anything I can see on my screen.

I would say that the answer is apparent to me in comparing your posts to farelf's posts immediately above this reply. The whitespace involved in the 'quote' action/content for instance. The extra line inserted prior to the first line of quoted material is added by the forum code .... the extra line under the quote box is from you hitting the Enter/Return key. As seen in farelf's posts, removing those two extra lines doesn't change the content at all, text is still differentiated .... two less bits taking up space in the database, two less lines in the vertical mode of the displayed page, in just a single post .... whereas in some of the more 'exciting' discussions, those "two" items end up making a substantial change to the overall results .... again, less database bits, less vertical scrolling needed ....

Two bits meaning something to one that dates back to when 8k of user space was actually quite vast, 30+k programming space covered a whole lot of ground, witnessed the lunacy of Bill Gates' proclamation that 'no one will ever need more than 256k of RAM', went through the awe and wonder of trying to visualize how any one could ever fill up a 10Meg hard drive as seen on a Kaypro-10 back in those CP/M days .. not even going to bring up the main/mini-main frame days and systems .... but two bits is still two bits to this old guy <g> [and that the two bits talked about here actually ends up being 6 bytes in the storage and handling process, well, that just makes it all the worse <G>]

Well I'll be. I (almost) always use the Quick Edit and I don't think I'd ever noticed the purported "Option Box" before. Same time; there are a lot of things I over/underlook on a regular basis.
Actually you will never notice that box as it is only an option for Moderators and above,

The edit line is automaticly added for all other users during the time window that they are able to edit their own posts.

Moderators have a number of options that are not available to other users, with the "Edit Options [√] Add the 'Edit by' line in this post?" being one of them.

Here we go again .... saw Dbiel had posted ... so came into this Topic ... scrolling down the page, I saw a word that SpellCheck hadn't caught in my last post ... meant 'full' but 'fill' was in the sentence .... hit the QuickEdit thing to fix that word .. noticed right off that the quoted content from Rooster's previous post had the first character 'handled' incorrectly .. said screw it, made my 'spelling' change, saved the post ... saw that the first character of Rooster's quoted material was now hosed .... backed up two browser pages, came back into this same Topic, scrolled down, and noted that the character was now displaying correctly again .. geeeze ....

Here we go again .... saw Dbiel had posted ... so came into this Topic ... scrolling down the page, I saw a word that SpellCheck hadn't caught in my last post ... meant 'full' but 'fill' was in the sentence .... hit the QuickEdit thing to fix that word .. noticed right off that the quoted content from Rooster's previous post had the first character 'handled' incorrectly .. said screw it, made my 'spelling' change, saved the post ... saw that the first character of Rooster's quoted material was now hosed .... backed up two browser pages, came back into this same Topic, scrolled down, and noted that the character was now displaying correctly again .. geeeze ....

Perhaps the edit functions are messing with the browser settings which is reset differently when you leave/come back in?

Perhaps the edit functions are messing with the browser settings which is reset differently when you leave/come back in?

Edit finctions ...???? As it happens, that's one of the things I've got opened up in 'several' other open windows right now, working on the 2.2.1 version, trying to sort out some of the other issues you (and a multitude of others in the IPB support forums) have raised .....

part of it caused by 'everyone' using nothing smaller than 1024x768 for development work, part of it caused by the lack of documentation, part of it caused by what documentation that does exist is out of date/simply doesn't match reality/reglects code that was changed long after the fact .....

three javascript_files dealing with 'editing' .... RTE editing is disabled, so I pretty much ignored that file, the 'standard editor' was the one I first went after, went nuts trying to figure out why no changes made there seemed to have any effect ... gave up trying to figure out where that bit of code was called from/invoked, as it just didn't seem to show up anywhere .. and in an answer about something else a couple of days ago, it was admitted that these two files (RTE/standard) are actually 'dead' files, all work now done in a monster file ... that monster file having been 'compressed' for run-time purposes, meaning that editing it is simply a bear as it stands ....

the monster file having been referenced once in the past (one of the RC releases) where Matt stated that the "edit box had been set to 100%" .. which I could never actually find .. and that was due to the 'real number' being 82% in that file, the 100% meaning to 'use 100% of that 82%' space allotted ... although that was changed in another post, in another Forum section, in reply about another issue, that the 100% line had actually been removed quite a while back .....

Tring hard to remember .. this all started with an edit to the Wiki. Sometime (soon) after that, someone noticed a change in the 'board header' section of this Forum ... then the post data started showing up as an issue ... some of this stuff somehow started out as a 'display' issue, meaning that the database copy was OK ... then I ran into some in which the database content had in fact been changed, then the 'old posts' now looked bad came up, then some that changed when a copy from the other server was moved to the new server, looking OK, until the next edit ..... and like the above, the OK/bad scenario seems to 'just depend' on way too many things .... and as stated, that it's showing up in so many other places, under different environments ....

Wazoo;

Edit finctions ...????

<SNIP>

...three javascript_files dealing with 'editing' .... RTE editing is disabled, so I pretty much ignored that file, the 'standard editor' was the one I first went after, went nuts trying to figure out why no changes made there seemed to have any effect ... gave up trying to figure out where that bit of code was called from/invoked, as it just didn't seem to show up anywhere .. ... although that was changed in another post, in another Forum section, in reply about another issue, that the 100% line had actually been removed quite a while back .....

<SNIP>

Tring hard to remember .. this all started with an edit to the Wiki. Sometime (soon) after that, someone noticed a change in the 'board header' section of this Forum ... then the post data started showing up as an issue ... some of this stuff somehow started out as a 'display' issue, meaning that the database copy was OK ... then I ran into some in which the database content had in fact been changed, then the 'old posts' now looked bad came up, then some that changed when a copy from the other server was moved to the new server, looking OK, until the next edit ..... and like the above, the OK/bad scenario seems to 'just depend' on way too many things .... and as stated, that it's showing up in so many other places, under different environments ....

Like the good old days when the "editor" was also the "typesetter", the "pressman" and the "delivery boy". Isn't it a wonder how the computer age has made things so much faster and simpler and given us so much more free time to pursue less mundane tasks?

Complete the following sentence.

"The Ark was built by amateurs; the Titanic was built by....."

Thanks for the background on how the board works. I pay closer attention to how I am posting; perhaps spare y'all a little "janitorial" work and give you more time as "Editor-in-Chief".

Archived