Possible Spammer Question

R J

I have been using SpamCop.net for a few months now, and I started seeing something different in the technical details after submitting a spam. It listed my mail server as a "possible spammer." Should I be concerned about this?

Received:  from apollo.secureweb1.com (69.56.245.90) by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 1 Jan 2007 14:23:48 -0000
69.56.245.90 found
host 69.56.245.90 = apollo.secureweb1.com (cached)
apollo.secureweb1.com is 69.56.245.90
Possible spammer: 69.56.245.90

Also, after it was sent, I noticed that reports were "disabled" for a couple of the addresses. Is that because these networks don't accept spam reports?

spam report id 2085629368 sent to: abuse[at]012.net.il
spam report id 2085629466 sent to: spamcop[at]imaphost.com
cncsummary[at]special.abuse.net redirects to cnc-abuse[at]sprint.net

Reports disabled for cncsummary[at]special.abuse.net
spam report id 2085629558 sent to: postmaster[at]china-netcom.com
spam report id 2085629657 sent to: abuse[at]cnc-noc.net
spam report id 2085629698 sent to: cnc-abuse[at]abuse.sprint.net
tech-group[at]china-netcom.com redirects to china-netcom.com[at]abuse.net

Reports disabled for tech-group[at]china-netcom.com

I have been using SpamCop.net for a few months now, and I started seeing something different in the technical details after submitting a spam. It listed my mail server as a "possible spammer." Should I be concerned about this?

Please provide a Tracking URL (shown on the top of the reporting page during the parse). You should configure your mailhosts in order to reduce the possibility of reporting your own ISP. The SpamCop FAQ at the top of the page can help. Most specifically: http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/397.html

The comments in technical details don't always mean exactly what they say. If the parser decides later that this IP address is not the one to report to, it merely means that the parser is going to check that address. You do need to check that reports are not going to your ISP. Configuring mailhosts is a way to prevent reports from going to your ISP. When you configure mailhosts, the way the parser looks at headers is changed and it 'knows' the IP addresses that are yours.

I am not sure about 'disabled reports' but it looks to me from your example that that abuse address is unresponsive (read 'allows spammers')(or doesn't accept spamcop reports - which is usually stated so probably not the reason) so the reports go to the 'upstream' - the providers of that IP space. This is usually done in response to reporter comments that the reports are going to spammers and is not automatic, but added manually by the deputies. There might be other reasons for the 'disabled reports' comment.

Miss Betsy

listed my mail server as a "possible spammer." Should I be concerned about this?
It's nothing to be concerned about. SpamCop thinks *all* the servers in the spam might be the spammer. It's just part of the process of deciding which server *is* the source of the spam.

I agree that configuring your Mailhosts would be a good idea. It helps SpamCop be more accurate in finding the source of the spam.

You can run our Mailhost configuration utility so that SpamCop can create a list of the services that handle your email so that our system will know what servers to trust when you report your spam. You'll need to configure a host for *all* the providers you receive mail through.

You can accomplish that by logging into your SpamCop account at http://www.spamcop.net and using the Mailhosts link to tell SpamCop about *all* of your service providers, forwarding services, and webmail hosts. You need to register one email address for each network/host that handles your email.

Once you start configuring hosts, you can't report spam again until you get them all on your list because the Mailhost system completely changes the way SpamCop looks at your spam.

I noticed that reports were "disabled" for a couple of the addresses. Is that because these networks don't accept spam reports?
It's because we don't want to send reports to that address. If the address refuses our reports, the error message will say so.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Archived