Cyveillance no longer taking SC reports?

jongrose

Good, I've never trusted Cyveillance anyway. They constantly probe my server, and when confronted about it, all you can't get a straight answer as to why they are doing it, or what they are doing with the information.

Congratulations to all involved in getting rid of automatic reporting to Cyveillance !! Although I wish you had listened to the many doubtful voices out here and had done it a long time ago.

I too have never trusted them and have always removed the checkmark in their box before submitting reports. The simple fact that in their literature, they say they report successful delivery of spam to the sender ( no doubt including many of the miscreants who have deliberately sent it ) thereby encouraging them to send more !!

Over time, NOT reporting spam to Cyveillance actually diminished the amount of spam I received.

Coincidentally, with this removal, SpamCop pages are opening 300% faster than normal.

Well done guys .. :P

Cheers

Nev

Over time, NOT reporting spam to Cyveillance actually diminished the amount of spam I received.

Can you PROVE that point? I have sent every spam I have received to cyveillance from the very start. I started using my spamcop email account exclusively over a year ago and and I still get very little spam to these accounts (about 5-7/day).

Perhaps it was simply smarter handling of the messages before submitting them that caused your decrease.

Can you PROVE that point? I have sent every spam I have received to cyveillance from the very start. I started using my spamcop email account exclusively over a year ago and and I still get very little spam to these accounts (about 5-7/day).

Perhaps it was simply smarter handling of the messages before submitting them that caused your decrease.

Hi Steve,

No, I could not PROVE that point in a court of law .. because I did not take down any actual statistics and spam levels always vary minutely during short test periods .. but I know the overall impression, from the occasional tests I did do without introducing any other security levels, was a general rise in spam received.

Having always sent your reports to Cyveillance, you will be unable to judge whether stopping reporting to them would have reduced your ( very fortunately ) minimal levels even further.

Also IMHO, it stands to reason that any Spammer would be delighted to know how many of his/her spam mails have been delivered !!

Cheers

Nev

Ya know, I've seen people here before post links to conversations about why Cyveillance was so horrible, but I never got to read them. Why is everyone so anti-Cyveillance?

Host your own web-site somewhere, pay for bandwidth consumed (or use a cheap hosting plan that is limited to 'so much' traffic) .... watch the access logs (and bandwidth consumed) by a Cyveillance bot that arrives, ignores the robots.txt file, and proceeds to suck down anything and everything it can find on that site/server ..... then really get excited to see the same bot there over and over and over, sucking down the same data, over and over and over .....

My limit was reached when seeing one site I was maintaining being hit 15 times the same day, with every graphic file being pulled every time. As it was a 'catalog' type site, with small, medium, large pictures of all the products, impact on bandwidth limits/costs were massive. From that point on, any site I was involved with was set up to block Cyveillance.

The 'search' block at the top of this screen includes accessing the old newsgroup archives ... that data still exists ...

hmm.. see, that's what I don't get... I have 4 sites hosted and I've never seen anything like that before. I ust went over logs for the 13th and don't see any huge drains like that. I just see the normal traffic I'd expect on various files.

Is there a specific IP that is the major culprit?

...Coincidentally, with this removal, SpamCop pages are opening 300% faster than normal.

Well done guys .. :P

Just to divert for a tic to pick up this point - and to attribute credit where due, note

Newsgroups: spamcop

Subject: Re: Cyveillance not in reporting options

Date: Fri, 19 Jan 2007 10:50:05 -0500

Message-ID: <eoqs6k$t1c$1[at]news.spamcop.net>

Berny wrote:

> "Ellen" <nobody[at]spamcop.net> wrote in message

>> SpamCop

>>

>

> And ?coincident? is a greatly welcome and massive improvement in the

> responsiveness of the submission mechanisms.

>

>

Pretty much a coincidence altho obviously not sending them copies of the

spams helps. Most of the improvement is due to other changes made by

engineering.

Ellen

SpamCop

• 2 weeks later...

I have noticed recently that no more reports are being sent to Cyberveillance. Have they severed ties with SpamCop? Does anyone know what is going on?

Please forgive me if this was already covered. I tried to look first, but didn't find anything on this topic. I was just wondering why no more reports were being sent to Cyberveillance.

--Navigatr1

Please forgive me if this was already covered. I tried to look first, but didn't find anything on this topic. I was just wondering why no more reports were being sent to Cyberveillance.

Merged this 'new' posting in the Lounge area to the existing Topic in the Reporting Forum section. PM sent to advise of the move/merge.

Thank you for moving the post for me Wazoo.

--Navigatr1

Archived