[Resolved] Not blocked because "whitelisted"?

shochat

Recently, I have been getting a great deal of image spam that has not been caught in Held Mail. I decided to take a look at some of these, and found the following at the end of the header:

X-SpamCop-Disposition: Blocked SpamAssassin=15

X-SpamCop-Whitelisted: (my E-mail address)

Does this mean spamcop mail thinks it is from me (and to me)? The From: on this is certainly not my E-mail address. Nor is it on my whitelist. However, I did notice this at the top:

Return-Path: (my E-mail address).

What does this mean? Is spamcop mail seeing a forged Return-Path and assuming I sent this spam to myself? Is there anything I can do to prevent this being incorrectly classified as "whitelisted"?

What does this mean? Is spamcop mail seeing a forged Return-Path and assuming I sent this spam to myself? Is there anything I can do to prevent this being incorrectly classified as "whitelisted"?

Yes. There are very few people who need to whitelist their own addresses. People who send themselves lots of email from places that are often listed would be the only reason I can think of. If that does not fit you, please remove your address from the whitelist to fix this.

From the FAQ at http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/303.html

What headers are checked?

The following headers are checked against the whitelist

Envelope Sender aka Return Path

Sender:

From the Whitelist addition area:

Mail from users whose email addresses match your whitelist will be passed without checking any DNS blacklists."

...If that does not fit you, please remove your address from the whitelist to fix this.

Thanks. I have removed my address from my whitelist (I don't even remember putting it on in the first place).

The following headers are checked against the whitelist

Envelope Sender aka Return Path

Sender:

That's interesting. Maybe I can use the Sender: to handle my mailing lists more efficiently (make my whitelist much smaller).

Maybe I can use the Sender: to handle my mailing lists more efficiently (make my whitelist much smaller).

Yes, you can. I've used entries such as "returns.groups.yahoo.com" and "listserv.indiana.edu" to assure that some of my mailing list traffic makes it past the filters.

DT

Archived