Report by forwarding email not working

geodosch

For the past several days the ability to report spam by forwarding to submit.xxxxx[at]spam.spamcop.net has not been working for me. In the past, the response time for this has varied greatly, to anywhere from a minute to several hours. However, nothing I've forwarded in the past several days has ever been processed, which has forced me to use the copy-paste mail source method. :angry:

Is anyone else having this problem?

For the past several days the ability to report spam by forwarding to submit.xxxxx[at]spam.spamcop.net has not been working for me. In the past, the response time for this has varied greatly, to anywhere from a minute to several hours. However, nothing I've forwarded in the past several days has ever been processed, which has forced me to use the copy-paste mail source method. :angry:

I did this once over the weekend and again first thing this morning and received the reply back within 10 minutes.

There is a procedure in the FAQ to help determine where the messages are being lost. It is possible your ISP is silently blocking the spam leaving your machine.

Click the "SPAMCOP FAQ" link at the top of the page and find the entries:

E-mail Submittal Problems / Issues

E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP? Updated!

Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?

I did this once over the weekend and again first thing this morning and received the reply back within 10 minutes.

There is a procedure in the FAQ to help determine where the messages are being lost. It is possible your ISP is silently blocking the spam leaving your machine.

Steven,

Thanks for the quick & helpful response! I'd tried searching for an existing post (honest!) :unsure: but hadn't found those.

I've run several tests, though the results are mixed at best. I've forwarded spams through my normal ISP, and also through a different mail server, to see if it was my ISP. In the first test only 1 went through, though the second time they both did. Anyway, I now know what to look at. :)

Short answer - No.

I use both "submit.xxx" and "quick.xxx" several times daily without any real delay (minutes).

With "submit" there are 2 times that relate to the problem you report: 1 - Transit time from you to SC, 2 - Transit time from SC to you. With effort you can see where the delay is occurring.

1. "submit" some spam, login to your SC account and monitor <Past Reports> <View Recent Reports> When your new "submit" shows up in the list note the time.

2. Go back to your email app and wait for email from SC AutoResponder. Now you will know how long that takes.

If your new "submit" doesn't show up (and you don't get an error message from SC), then Steven has the answer.

If things are just slow, check the <statistics> or the graph at the top of this page, is the load heavy?. There is a long list of reasons you mail response could be slow that don't effect others - your ISP has a link down, your ISP has a processor down, your isp is having a DOS attack, ...

Good Luck

Good answers. All I would add

...Is anyone else having this problem?
Yes - at the moment my submissions have about a 50-50 success rate. Since my spam load is low-ish just now it is no great hardship to go back and use the web form to paste the stuff in. I don't get delays, it seems either to work or not. I would step through the diagnosis process if submission failure becomes a problem but certainly my success rate with emailed submissions seems to have reduced in the last few days. There have been intervals like this in the past which didn't last long. I suspect my service provider. Stats floating around suggest December 06 spam load was 94% of all messages, bandwidth demand was up 334% (IIRC, but relative to what?1) due to "picture spam". Has to take its toll, especially if provider needs "special rules" to let evident spam through its net for reporting.

[1 - that was the annual increase, the source was Postini's annual communications intelligence report which apparently requires registration and much personal info to access but several publications mention the salients in more detail than does Postini's own public pages - such as iTnews 30 January 2007 - don't try this in Texas folks (cf Google "deep linking" and Texas). But I digress. Networks are more stressed than most owners could have anticipated.]

Yes! I have used spamcop for years, but for the past 5 days or so, not a single forwarded email of mine has been processed!

Yes! I have used spamcop for years, but for the past 5 days or so, not a single forwarded email of mine has been processed!

I have successfully used email submission to my free reporting account (work) at the following times:

2/27/2007 10:41

2/27/2007 09:29

2/26/2007 11:42

2/20/2007 08:09

All have replied within 5 minutes. All times are EST (-05:00)

Please be sure your ISP has not joined those filtering the outgoing or incoming messages without aleerting their users as per the FAQ entry (i.e. where is the breakdown occuring, from your machine to spamcop or spamcop to your email account).

I tried the testing suggested in the FAQ, such as sending from different outgoing mail servers, and cc:'ing other addresses to make sure my ISP wasn't blocking it. In doing that, I never had an outgoing message blocked by the ISP, and while testing some messages were processed by spamcop, & others weren't.

I also always checked to see if it was received by going to the reporting page, and not relying on the notification email, so any problems would have been with either spamcop not receiving the message, or else not processing it.

I have completely given-up on trying to use the email submission for the past couple of weeks, since for every one I forward I have to keep track of whether it got processed. So as much of a pain as it is to manually cut and paste the full message with headers, at least I know it's getting reported.

I tried the testing suggested in the FAQ, such as sending from different outgoing mail servers, and cc:'ing other addresses to make sure my ISP wasn't blocking it. In doing that, I never had an outgoing message blocked by the ISP, and while testing some messages were processed by spamcop, & others weren't.

I also always checked to see if it was received by going to the reporting page, and not relying on the notification email, so any problems would have been with either spamcop not receiving the message, or else not processing it. ...

Thanks for doing the hard work geodosch - pity there seems to be no "fixable" problem but at least you (and we) know what it's not. Mine are generally getting through again these days so it seems to be some local "rattiness" of the internet. As said, the load on the internet generally is increasing rapidly, pushing the limits of capacity some places, some times. I suggest you keep trying the occasional email submission in the expectation it will "come good" sometime soon - at least that has been my experience and my stuff has to traverse a lot more netspace (thus negotiate more choke points) than does yours.

I am not trying to say you are not experiencing issues, just to let you know that it is not a global issue. If you are still having major issues, you will likely need your ISP's help along with the spamcop deputies to track down these messages.

I just tried forwarding from my spamcop account a test message and it was ready to report in a couple of minutes (ignore the format of the message, that was the test). I removed everything from the headers except the received lines:

Headers back to my spamcop email account:

Received: (qmail 23294 invoked from network); 1 Mar 2007 20:08:35 -0000

Received: from unknown (192.168.1.103)

by blade6.cesmail.net with QMQP; 1 Mar 2007 20:08:35 -0000

Received: from sc-smtp3-bulkmx.soma.ironport.com (204.15.82.124)

by mx53.cesmail.net with SMTP; 1 Mar 2007 20:08:35 -0000

Received: from sc-app6.spamcop.net ([204.15.82.25])

by sc-smtp3-bulkmx.soma.ironport.com with SMTP; 01 Mar 2007 12:08:35 -0800

From: SpamCop AutoResponder <spamcop[at]devnull.spamcop.net>

Subject: [spamCop] has accepted 1 email for processing

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 20:08:35 GMT

SpamCop is now ready to process your spam.

Use links to finish spam reporting (members use cookie-login please!):

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=x (message not for public disclosure)

The email which triggered this auto-response had the following headers:

Received: from sc-smtp2-bulkmx.soma.ironport.com (sc-smtp2-bulkmx.soma.ironport.com [204.15.82.125])

by sc-app6.soma.ironport.com (Postfix) with ESMTP id 3B14D1FBF1

for <submit.x[at]spam.spamcop.net>; Thu, 1 Mar 2007 12:07:02 -0800 (PST)

Received: from mailgate.cesmail.net ([216.154.195.36])

by sc-smtp2-bulkmx.soma.ironport.com with SMTP; 01 Mar 2007 12:07:02 -0800

Received: (qmail 2030 invoked from network); 1 Mar 2007 20:07:01 -0000

Received: from unknown (HELO gamma.cesmail.net) (192.168.1.20)

by mailgate.cesmail.net with SMTP; 1 Mar 2007 20:07:01 -0000

Received: (qmail 21700 invoked by uid 99); 1 Mar 2007 20:07:01 -0000

Received: from 69.64.104.225 ([69.64.104.225]) by webmail.spamcop.net

(Horde) with HTTP for <x[at]spamcop.net[at]cesmail.net>; Thu, 01 Mar 2007

15:07:00 -0500

Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 15:07:00 -0500

I have successfully used email submission to my free reporting account (work) at the following times:

2/27/2007 10:41

2/27/2007 09:29

2/26/2007 11:42

2/20/2007 08:09

All have replied within 5 minutes. All times are EST (-05:00)

Please be sure your ISP has not joined those filtering the outgoing or incoming messages without aleerting their users as per the FAQ entry (i.e. where is the breakdown occuring, from your machine to spamcop or spamcop to your email account).

It's not my ISP.. it's Yahoo.

Spamcop reports the following (the [removed] is by me.. my address is correct):

Bounce error

Your email address, [removed][at]yahoo.com has returned a bounce:

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Reason: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'Message not allowed - UP Email not accepted for policy reasons. Please visit http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-04.html[120]'

I contacted Yahoo support about it and they requested a copy of a bounced message... Anyone know how I could possibly obtain this??

It's not my ISP.. it's Yahoo.

Spamcop reports the following (the [removed] is by me.. my address is correct):

Bounce error

Your email address, [removed][at]yahoo.com has returned a bounce:

Subject: Delivery Status Notification (Failure)

Reason: 5.1.0 - Unknown address error 554-'Message not allowed - UP Email not accepted for policy reasons. Please visit http://help.yahoo.com/help/us/mail/defer/defer-04.html[120]'

I contacted Yahoo support about it and they requested a copy of a bounced message... Anyone know how I could possibly obtain this??

If it is the reporting system receiving the bounces, it is likely the deputies[at]spamcop.net address can help you there. Keep it short, sweet, with enough data for them to do something with needing a conversation... the last report was they are swamped. Pointing them here for the details while providing your account information in the email would be a great start.

I contacted Yahoo support about it and they requested a copy of a bounced message...
Yahoo is bouncing some, but not all of our email. I filled out their obnoxious web form, but never heard from them.

Send me email with your SpamCop account login username (email address) and I'll send you a copy of the latest bounce.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

service[at]admin.spamcop.net

Yahoo is bouncing some, but not all of our email. I filled out their obnoxious web form, but never heard from them.

I received a copy of one of my bounced messages from deputy Richard. I have forwarded it to Yahoo support. I'll post back when I hear back from them.

Thanks!

I have a yahoo account and the same thing has been happening to me for a week and a half now. None of the spam I have forwarded has come back with the ready to process your spam email that is usually sent.

• 2 weeks later...

Please don't hold your breath ;)

Thank you for at least trying.

Well I didn't get anywhere with support, but apparently the problem is now fixed (at least for Yahoo.. not sure about the other guys) as a message I reported successfully came through!

Archived