Mail server down?

swar

Hi,

I am not receiving any email since yesterday. I checked with my host, and they say their mail servers are doing fine. If I send a mail to one account that doesn't go through Spamcop, I receive it, but if I send to one forwarded to a spamcop account, then I never receive it.

Please check asap!

Thanks.

Mariano

I am not receiving any email since yesterday. I checked with my host, and they say their mail servers are doing fine. If I send a mail to one account that doesn't go through Spamcop, I receive it, but if I send to one forwarded to a spamcop account, then I never receive it.

This works fine for me. Perhaps your ISP is blocking Email en route to SpamCop.

Andrew

This works fine for me. Perhaps your ISP is blocking Email en route to SpamCop.

Well, I don't know much of the subtleties of email forwarding, but the result is the same. My ISP have checked and they say it's not at their end... Can someone at SpamCop still check if nothing is wrong with their own server? My accounts are swar and swarsales.

Thanks.

Mariano

There does seem to be some sort of a problem. I just sent mail to various addresses I control, some of which forward to SC, some of which do not, and while I've received the latter, the former have yet to arrive. However, it's only been a few minutes.

edit: OK, it's later now, and nothing has arrived, whether sent directly to my SC email address or to other addresses that forward there. Someone has reported a related issue in the primary "spamcop" usenet group, and I'm also seeing some DNS problems for "spamcop.net" although the domain is still resolving for the moment.

This is one of those times when I hope that Wazoo shows up soon, because I think he's actually got a phone number for JT, the owner/admin of the email system. Wazoo?

DT

(sound of crickets chirping)

I've done some further testing and I think that the problem with email not arriving at our accounts is due to issues at the Akamai servers, which provide DNS (and other services) for SpamCop. According to DNSReport.com,

Your NS records at the parent servers are:

asia3.akam.net. [203.166.6.229] [TTL=172800] [AU]

ns1-109.akam.net. [193.108.91.109] [TTL=172800] [EU]

ns1-11.akam.net. [193.108.91.11] [TTL=172800] [EU]

ns1-117.akam.net. [193.108.91.117] [TTL=172800] [EU]

ns1-73.akam.net. [193.108.91.73] [TTL=172800] [EU]

ns1-90.akam.net. [193.108.91.90] [TTL=172800] [EU]

ns1-93.akam.net. [193.108.91.93] [TTL=172800] [EU]

use1.akam.net. [63.209.170.136] [TTL=172800] [uS]

[These were obtained from l.gtld-servers.net]

but the only US-based server, use1.akam.net. [63.209.170.136], is NOT responding! On a web server (Linux box), I tried the following command:

nslookup -type=mx spamcop.net

and the result was:

** server can't find spamcop.net: SERVFAIL

this didn't happen with any of the other MX queries I tried on that box for other domains.

I also did some "direct to SMTP" (aka "Fakemail") testing, and it took "mx.spamcop.net" well over a minute to answer a port 25 connection. However, when connecting directly to the IP address, it was almost instantaneous, so the problem is almost certainly with Akamai.

I can try to inject an email to JT by connecting directly to the MX for SpamCop, but I have to run to the airport right now, so I'll be back....

DT

Update: although an important Akamai nameserver is still not responding, it seems that some messages sent overnight, or even several hours ago are finally appearing. This may have been a somewhat "regional" problem, depending upon how the DNS is managed on the sending servers, and their connectivity to the Akamail servers, etc. (I'm not an expert on DNS) but since more than one of us reported similar issues, it wasn't only me. ;-)

I'm not sure where Mariano is located, or where the servers are hosted that weren't able to forward mail to his spamcop account....that would be interesting to know. Mariano, if you'd like to send any of that to me in a personal message, I'd appreciate it.

DT

• 2 weeks later...
Update: although an important Akamai nameserver is still not responding, it seems that some messages sent overnight, or even several hours ago are finally appearing. This may have been a somewhat "regional" problem, depending upon how the DNS is managed on the sending servers, and their connectivity to the Akamail servers, etc. (I'm not an expert on DNS) but since more than one of us reported similar issues, it wasn't only me. ;-)

Well, I have again some email that don't seem to reach...

They are forwarded from my ISP, that are located in Geneva, Switzerland.

Can you have a look if there's anything blocking at your end?

Thanks.

Mariano

Archived