Unreported Spam not reporting?

studog

When I pull up the web page for spam submission, I get "Unreported spam Saved: Report Now". I click Report Now, and the spam comes up normally. I click "Send spam Report(s) Now" and everything appears to go normally, but when the report submission page comes up I still have the Unreported spam notification, and clicking that reveals the exact same spam, still unreported!

The Tracking URL is identical.

This just started happening this morning, just before I posted.

I do not wish to "Remove all unreported spam".

Help please?

...Stu

I suggest you remove it all as a once only activity. In the greater scheme of things, clearing the unreported stuff that is stuck gets you back up and running.

Andrew

Unfortunately, agsteele is right. If you don't want to use the individual reporting links we sent to you when you submitted the spams, all you can do is bite the bullet, "Remove all spam," and start again.

However, in this case, I was able to report the spam in the Tracking URL you provided, and you appear to have reported all the spam that was submitted, so you're good to go now.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

I suggest you remove it all as a once only activity. In the greater scheme of things, clearing the unreported stuff that is stuck gets you back up and running.
Er, I'm not stuck. I can freely report more spam while the "Unreported spam" link is showing. To be clear, I use the web page submission method at http://www.spamcop.net/ to submit spam.

Thanks for your concern though.

Unfortunately, agsteele is right. If you don't want to use the individual reporting links we sent to you when you submitted the spams, all you can do is bite the bullet, "Remove all spam," and start again.
It appears you believe I use the email submission method. I don't, I use the web page method. No links are sent to me at any time.

However, in this case, I was able to report the spam in the Tracking URL you provided, and you appear to have reported all the spam that was submitted, so you're good to go now.
Thanks, I appreciate that. The "Unreported spam" link is now gone.

[Warning: Thread drift]

Even though I use the web form submission method, which immediately provides the reporting page, and I report the spam, occasionally I'll end up with the "Unreported spam" link anyway. I'm not sure how that could happen. Any ideas?

...Stu

Er, I'm not stuck. I can freely report more spam while the "Unreported spam" link is showing. To be clear, I use the web page submission method at http://www.spamcop.net/ to submit spam.

Thanks for your concern though.

Perhaps use of the word 'stuck' was misleading. The reported spam was stuck, rather than you.

Anyway, Don has got you going. If it should happen again you could use the option to Remove all unreported spam and that should clear those reports that are 'stuck'.

Andrew

If it should happen again you could use the option to Remove all unreported spam and that should clear those reports that are 'stuck'.

Especially since you only use the porm to paste, you should never have anything in the queue. Deleting the queue would only be deleting reports you already sent (or failed to send by closing the window before reporting).

Especially since you only use the porm to paste, you should never have anything in the queue. Deleting the queue would only be deleting reports you already sent (or failed to send by closing the window before reporting).
Should never, but often do. (I'm willing to help test for bugs.)

Like I said, I don't want to delete all, I want to report the spam.

It's nice (for me) that my situation was cleared up, but I'd rather have investigated the problem and fixed the cause rather than treated the symptom. In that sense it's not nice (for all SpamCop reporters) because the bug will occur again.

...Stu

It's nice (for me) that my situation was cleared up, but I'd rather have investigated the problem and fixed the cause rather than treated the symptom. In that sense it's not nice (for all SpamCop reporters) because the bug will occur again.
I don't see a problem. My testing tells me SpamCop is working fine.

When you're using the manual reporting method, the only way you can end up with the "Unreported spam" link showing is if you don't actually report or cancel the spam you processed by entering it into the web form and hitting the "Report spam now" button.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Like I said, I don't want to delete all, I want to report the spam.

I think we're talking at cross purposes...

As Don noted, you had reported all your spam. The stuff that was flagged as unreported simply needed removing from the space where it had become 'stuck'.

It happens very rarely and deleting it all is what needs to be done to fix the issue.

Your reports are certainly valuable but in the short-term it is better to get you back up and running again by deleting all the stuck stuff and a few actually unreported items so can successfully report again.

Andrew

from Don: When you're using the manual reporting method, the only way you can end up with the "Unreported spam" link showing is if you don't actually report or cancel the spam you processed by entering it into the web form and hitting the "Report spam now" button.

Since the OP is the only one who is reporting that the 'Unreported spam' link does show up occasionally when he thinks that he has reported spam, something must have happened on his end to cause it. Perhaps he closed a window or something that he normally doesn't do.

It would probably be a good idea for the OP to document exactly what he does normally. If the same phenomenon happens again, try to notice if the same sequence has been used. IOW, what does he do when the 'Unreported spam' doesn't appear and what does he do (or what did he do the last time he submitted spam) when it does. Also, to note if the type of spam makes a difference. Perhaps it only happens spam with attachments, for instance. Or perhaps, if it is only the last spam he reported via the web form, it is the way he exits spamcop that is the cause.

OTOH, if it was the fact that the 'Unreported spam' link reappeared after clicking on it that he was concerned about, then IIRC that sometimes does happen and, as was stated, the only thing to do is to 'remove all spam' to get it 'unstuck' Since the OP wanted to make sure that the spam in question was reported, if he can't look at the 'reports sent' to verify that it was sent, the best advice is not to worry about reporting every spam, I think. Nobody's perfect and, hopefully, there are other people reporting the same spam run.

Miss Betsy

When you're using the manual reporting method, the only way you can end up with the "Unreported spam" link showing is if you don't actually report or cancel the spam you processed by entering it into the web form and hitting the "Report spam now" button.
And yet, I often end up with the link when I've reported everything. It's usually during a Mon morning, when I am submitting a ton of spam.

...Stu

As Don noted, you had reported all your spam. The stuff that was flagged as unreported simply needed removing from the space where it had become 'stuck'.
1) The unreported link was showing, and when I clicked through the Report Now button set was available. So either it actually was unreported, or there's a second bug. 2) I sometimes do get an unreported link that clicks through to show a spam, that says it *has* been reported, and the Report Now button set is *not* available. I'm not sure how a reported spam would end up in the unreported queue. Any ideas?

It happens very rarely and deleting it all is what needs to be done to fix the issue.
No, deleting is what needs to be done to treat the symptom. I'm offering to help debug the cause. I understand if resources are limited, and I'm not taken up on my offer; I'm just trying to keep symptom and cause separate issues here.

Your reports are certainly valuable but in the short-term it is better to get you back up and running again by deleting all the stuck stuff and a few actually unreported items so can successfully report again.
Again, I wasn't stuck in any manner what so ever.

...Stu

Since the OP is the only one who is reporting that the 'Unreported spam' link does show up occasionally when he thinks that he has reported spam, something must have happened on his end to cause it. Perhaps he closed a window or something that he normally doesn't do.

It would probably be a good idea for the OP to document exactly what he does normally. If the same phenomenon happens again, try to notice if the same sequence has been used. IOW, what does he do when the 'Unreported spam' doesn't appear and what does he do (or what did he do the last time he submitted spam) when it does. Also, to note if the type of spam makes a difference. Perhaps it only happens spam with attachments, for instance. Or perhaps, if it is only the last spam he reported via the web form, it is the way he exits spamcop that is the cause.

Here's my normal spam reporting method:
  • Use SpamSource to queue up next spam on the clipboard (using Outlook)
  • locate a waiting submission page, or if none, open a new SpamCop tab (using Opera)
  • paste spam
  • Submit
  • locate tabs with submission results, click the Report Now buttons
  • repeat
  • when all spam are submitted and "Report Now"ed and all tabs are waiting on the submission page, close all tabs
  • open one last SpamCop tab to check for an unreported link, which usually doesn't appear, but sometimes does

At no point do I lose a spam by closing a tab or somehow forgetting to report it. There's no way to click back to the submission page from the report now page, without using either the Report Now or Cancel buttons.

Part of this trick is that I can end up with as many as 12+ open SpamCop tabs, all processing spam simultaneously. It just depends on how responsive SpamCop is being that day.

I think I'll start running wireshark in the background, and analyse the capture the next time this occurs.

OTOH, if it was the fact that the 'Unreported spam' link reappeared after clicking on it that he was concerned about, then IIRC that sometimes does happen and, as was stated, the only thing to do is to 'remove all spam' to get it 'unstuck' Since the OP wanted to make sure that the spam in question was reported, if he can't look at the 'reports sent' to verify that it was sent, the best advice is not to worry about reporting every spam, I think. Nobody's perfect and, hopefully, there are other people reporting the same spam run.
Yeah, I've muddied this thread somewhat in that there are now two problems under discussion: the original problem that an unreported spam, after "Report Now"ing it, remained as an unreported spam; and the fact that sometimes I get an unreported link when I really shouldn't.

With the original problem, yes, I understand the stated workaround. Workarounds treat the symptom. I'm willing to assist in debugging and fixing the bug (the cause). I am not interested in using the workaround on a regular basis, because it looks like that will leave a spam unreported. My job is linux drivers, so my email address is in the kernel. I am loathe to let even one spam go unreported. (Yes I'm upset about the decision to reduce the reporting window to 48 hours, all spam I receive between Fri night and Sat morning are now "too old", and yes, the spammers have figured this out. A sizable portion of my spam comes in during that window now. This morning it was about 40%)

I had not thought to check the list of recent reports for a matching entry. I'll do that next time this occurs and port the results.

Thanks for all the help.

...Stu

Well, I am glad that you understand the need for checking where and when this occurs! (Some people get annoyed) There is another report of someone who sent a spam report via quick reporting and with a cc to someone else. The cc was answered, the spamcop report 'disappeared'

Since it is an intermittent problem, it will take good documentation to track it down. It might end up like the 'Unreported spam' queue, which, from other posts seems to be one that there aren't enough resources to track down, but, at least, there will be identification of a problem and subsequent posters won't feel as though they were in never-never land. I just hate it when that happens to me. Once, in the pick up truck that I normally drove, if I drove over 45 mph for a distance, a horrible clunking sound started. It didn't affect the operation or speed, but it was certainly nerve wracking. My husband called it a PFP (perverse female phenomenon) because he couldn't duplicate it even driving between exits on the 'fast' road. Finally, when I had to make a trip when it had occurred before, I went and got him and took him with me and sure enough, he heard the PFP too! Like the "Unreported spam' queue, the solution was just not to drive over 45 mph for that distance any more. (when the door of the truck started flying open on curves, I demanded a new vehicle! <g>)

Miss Betsy

• 6 months later...

I think that what you are saying is that spam from uslec.com always gets stuck in the "unreported spam" even if you have reported it.

The tracking url that you provided said that the report was cancelled. I assume that you cancelled it because it appeared as an unreported spam after you thought you had reported it.

I also assume that you report other spam from other sources and do not get the "Unreported spam" button.

If my assumptions are correct, please say so. I am not an expert on how the "Unreported spam" queue occasionally seems to get stuck on one spam, but I think that the ones who might be able to figure it out will want to know how the report got cancelled. They will also want to know how you are reporting - through spamcop email, through VER, or with a spamcop reporting only account via email or via web form. And they will want to know if other spam are parsed correctly.

Miss Betsy

> but I think that the ones who might be able to figure

> it out will want to know how the report got cancelled

not I cancelled, because I gave direct reference - anybody can cancelled.

however arbitrarily it does not cancelled.

> but I think that the ones who might be able to figure

> it out will want to know how the report got cancelled

not I cancelled, because I gave direct reference - anybody can cancelled.

however arbitrarily it does not cancelled.

1. You should not be leaving unreported links live on the system because anyone then can submit YOUR reports. Especially in this case, where it sounds like you may have already reported it several times. The people in this forum, for the most part, can see nothing more from the cancelled report than the live report.

2. You will need to bring this issue to the deputies[at]admin.spamcop.net address as they will have access to the inner workings and may see what is going on. I believe their normal response is to simply cancel all unreported spams and starting agin with fresh messages.

• 6 months later...
yes, but it began to happen very often, it is necessary to correct

Then you will need to contact the SpamCop support folk. You will need to give very clear instructions of how they can reproduce the result you are experiencing and probably provide a tracking link to review the problem message.

Since you seem to be the only person reporting this issue it may be unusual to you.

Andrew

Merged kiev1's second Topic into his/her initial Topic on the same subject. While researching previous incidents (plugging "unreported spam" into the form provided by using the 'Search' link at the top of this page) I decided to them merge both of kiev1's Topics into yet another existing Topic on the same subject matter.

PM sent to advise of this handling.

Archived