Mobile Webmail via Blackberry Browser - Session Expires prematurely

I have been trying to access SpamCop Webmail from the browser on my BlackBerry device. Seems to work fine, HOWEVER I am constantly being logged out because of my session expiring prematurely.

I read in the FAQs that this could have something to do with the handling of Cookies. So I tried deleting all cookies from my device. To no avail.

I also read somewhere that SpamCop is working on a new Mobile Webmail server. Any update on this? Can I assume that the 'Expired Session' problem will be resolved with this new system?

I have been trying to access SpamCop Webmail from the browser on my BlackBerry device. Seems to work fine, HOWEVER I am constantly being logged out because of my session expiring prematurely.

I read in the FAQs that this could have something to do with the handling of Cookies. So I tried deleting all cookies from my device. To no avail.

The word "prematurely' is not defined, so .. what is this 'time' based on?

Per previous conversations about webmail cookies, SESSION-ID cookies are in use. Thusly, these would not be stored on your system, only being valid during that 'single connction' .. which may also feed into your issue ... signal drops, for instance ... maybe not long enough for you to notice an outage, but long enough that the session cookie was no longer valid as the 'reconnect' came along and 'started a new session' which rendered the last SESSION-ID as invalid ...

I also read somewhere that SpamCop is working on a new Mobile Webmail server. Any update on this? Can I assume that the 'Expired Session' problem will be resolved with this new system?

SpamCop Discussion > Discussions & Observations > SpamCop Email System & Accounts

Important Topics

Pinned: Beta Test Mobile Webmail

Not currentlly available

Technically, you would have scrolled by this had you spent any time looking to see if there was an existing Topic/Discussion on your query. Entry was "Pinned" so as to keep it on the first page of this Forum section.

The word "prematurely' is not defined, so .. what is this 'time' based on?

I mean the session expires almost as soon as I perform a couple of actions in Webmail. Sometimes lets me delete 1 email, and logs me out after the 2nd deletion. Sometimes logs me out after the first deletion. I never seem to be in for much more than 30 seconds...

Per previous conversations about webmail cookies, SESSION-ID cookies are in use. Thusly, these would not be stored on your system, only being valid during that 'single connction' .. which may also feed into your issue ... signal drops, for instance ... maybe not long enough for you to notice an outage, but long enough that the session cookie was no longer valid as the 'reconnect' came along and 'started a new session' which rendered the last SESSION-ID as invalid ...

I am currently using the BlackBerry in an area with a strong signal, and there does not seem to be any dropouts. The issue occurs constantly, so would doubt if it is due to the quality of the signal. However, you may be right: could be due to infinitesimal dropouts. I would be interested to know if any other SpamCop users are able to reliably connect to Webmail via a Blackberry? Hence my post on this forum.

Technically, you would have scrolled by this had you spent any time looking to see if there was an existing Topic/Discussion on your query. Entry was "Pinned" so as to keep it on the first page of this Forum section.

I did actually read this post. But it is now quite old (dates back to October 06), with no updates since then. Maybe SpamCop could keep us informed about the status of this project? Has it been dropped? is there an ETA?

I mean the session expires almost as soon as I perform a couple of actions in Webmail. Sometimes lets me delete 1 email, and logs me out after the 2nd deletion. Sometimes logs me out after the first deletion. I never seem to be in for much more than 30 seconds...

I am currently using the BlackBerry in an area with a strong signal, and there does not seem to be any dropouts. The issue occurs constantly, so would doubt if it is due to the quality of the signal. However, you may be right: could be due to infinitesimal dropouts. I would be interested to know if any other SpamCop users are able to reliably connect to Webmail via a Blackberry? Hence my post on this forum.

OK, signal quality was the 'easy' first shot.

Second shot: carrier involved?

Issue best expalined by pointing to an AOL user's experience .... all their browsing is done through AOL proxy servers. The killer is that each brwoser request is a 'new issue' and that requests gets routed to the closest 'available' (proxy) server .. such that receiving end of those browser queries may end up seeing a dozen different IP addresses actually involved with that one user's browsing actions.

This Forum, for example, has some security settings that if applied, would result in AOL users not being able to 'survive' here. As above, the $SESSION-ID would not track with the IP address(es) involved.

I did actually read this post. But it is now quite old (dates back to October 06), with no updates since then. Maybe SpamCop could keep us informed about the status of this project? Has it been dropped? is there an ETA?

"We" (the Moderators, several major contributors) end to make sure that any 'new' news gets posted here as we find out about it. But, as noted in the Forum FAQ, we are all volunteers here, and the paid-staff deal with their own issues ....

In the case of the e-mail system, there is JT. SpamCop.net e-mail accounts are but one part of the things he provides hardware, time, and support for. He has stated that there would be another attempt at an upgrade, but ...

I could point out that I admin this Forum .. newsgroup archiving disappeared June of last year, resurrected when I installed some software and finally got it running on this server back in November/December ... but don't want to paint the wrong picture .... just pointing out that time/priorities are not matching up with your desires <g> .... upgrading the e-mail service is a pretty massive undertaking, especially when it's not a bone-stock install. In this case, the back-end connections to the Parsing & Reporting system is somethng not found in the Horde/IMP package, just for one example.

Archived