mail returned to my domains by spamguards

BigJoe

I'm getting masses ( 100's) of mail to my domains sporadically ( various suffixes and with less frequency of change, various domains) Problem is, if I report this as spam the assumption is that the sender ( the innocent party's spamguard) is doing the dirty, when in fact it is the falsification of the return address as mine. Is there a set procedure to identify this 'bounced' mail ?

I'm getting masses ( 100's) of mail to my domains sporadically ( various suffixes and with less frequency of change, various domains) Problem is, if I report this as spam the assumption is that the sender ( the innocent party's spamguard) is doing the dirty, when in fact it is the falsification of the return address as mine. Is there a set procedure to identify this 'bounced' mail ?

Misdirected bounces are reportable through spamcop. Spamcop only looks at received lines, not at email addresses at all.

Repoting of the "original spam" is not allowed because it is not "your spam" to report and you have no way to know that the entire source is there.

There are no 'innocent' parties in this scenario. You are getting 100's of misdirected bounces which is just as bad as getting the original spam. The sender (or his ISP) should know by now that misdirected bounces (emails that have been accepted and then a new email is sent to the forged return path) are not good practice.

Report them via spamcop and do the the misguided sender a favor before he gets on blocklists that are not easy to get off.

Miss Betsy

Archived