Suggestion for New Option

waugh

True enough, but on the other hand, the "reporter" has the opportunity to select which reports actually get sent out, so there's the first check (that's supposed to happen) ... After the complaint gets sent, then the receiving party has the opportunity to set the "Innocent Bystander" flag, if that's a valid choice .. and this turns off any further complaints about that specific web-site.

Wazoo, this suggestion was for quick reporting.

I don't see how this is very different than it is currently setup. With the new mailhosts configuration, the spam is reported to the administrator of the "connecting" IP, whether that is an untrusted relay or originator. Eiher way, the parser works the headers back as far as it can without suspecting a forgery.

That is what I meant to add to my comment. Just re-read it after your post and realized I forgot.

The original question was to quick report relays and originators but not web sites. The current system works back as far as possible and reports whether it is a relay or originator sending the spew.

I may have missed something (or perhaps "am missing' part of my brain :0), but is quick reporting only available to email service?

At one time it was available to reporting only accounts, but I stopped using it as I found it more tedious to look at the reports than the parse.

Miss Betsy

I might be off-base, but .. I think "quick-reporting" is an option available only through an e-mailed spam submittal .. even available to "free" reporters. The "e-mail" type accounts have a quick-report capability, but I'm sure it's called something else on the menus. I hope I'm answering the right question <g>

That's what I was asking. Although quick reporting is done by a button, I think, in the email service, it is available also to reporting only reporters who use email submission.

Therefore, I don't think that this thread should be moved to email forum. The original question is from a spamcop email service user, but where the reports are sent is the same for both email service users and reporting only users.

Miss Betsy

Hi, Wazoo and Miss Betsy,

I might be off-base, but .. I think "quick-reporting" is an option available only through an e-mailed spam submittal .. even available to "free" reporters.  The "e-mail" type accounts have a quick-report capability, but I'm sure it's called something else on the menus.  I hope I'm answering the right question <g>

That's what I was asking.  Although quick reporting is done by a button, I think, in the email service, it is available also to reporting only reporters who use email submission. 

Therefore, I don't think that this thread should be moved to email forum.  The original question is from a spamcop email service user, but where the reports are sent is the same for both email service users and reporting only users.

Miss Betsy

...Thanks -- I was not aware of that, since I use Outlook and therefore can not submit via forwarding.

...Original request to move to Email deleted. :)

That is what I meant to add to my comment.  Just re-read it after your post and realized I forgot. 

The original question was to quick report relays and originators but not web sites.  The current system works back as far as possible and reports whether it is a relay or originator sending the spew.

Yes quick reporting is available to non-email customers -- if you write to us and tell us your registered spamcop email address we will look at your previous reports and if they look OK will turn on quick reporting for you.

deputies <at> spamcop.net

Yes quick reporting is available to non-email customers -- if you write to us and tell us your registered spamcop email address we will look at your previous reports and if they look OK will turn on quick reporting for you.

How would someone using Outlook (as opposed to OE) use the quick reporting feature if they were to want it?

Back in the olden days, this is where the add-ons like MailWasher came into play ... I have no idea if this type of submittal still works in taday's SpamCop configuration, though I think folks are still using some of these tools.

Back in the olden days, this is where the add-ons like MailWasher came into play ... I have no idea if this type of submittal still works in taday's SpamCop configuration, though I think folks are still using some of these tools.

Duh - I never thought about the third party programs that are available for Outhouse. Never mind Ellen.

New suggestions (I hope...!) :

on the reporting page, section "Make sure this mail IS spam :"

• when the "subject" is iso-8859 encoded (more and more often), I think it would be more useful to show the clear text instead of "(=?ISO-8859-1?b?V29ybGRzIGZhc3Rlc3Qgc2hpcH...)"
    (maybe in another colour to show that "something has been done")
  • when the first line of the body is "This is a multi-part message in MIME format...",
    this phrase also is not very informative, either more of the body should be shown (>10 lines instead of 3)
    or the first lines of "real text" should be shown (again in colour if you want)

Thanks in advance.

and [just to conform to the new standard] :

PS : Sorry, Julian, but me too I'll work during easter vacation...! ;)

• 3 months later...

Please provide some data ... Tracking URL or something ... I don't use it so I can only go on what's been posted elsewhere, and that is that quick-reporting only goes after the source of the spew e-mail ... so I'm asking for something to show where you're saying that it doesn't stop there ...

But the mailed-back reports from Spamcop about quick reporting say otherwise.

Could you provide some proof of this? A CCP from the confirmation email including the tracking url like this one:

Tracking message source:68.42.37.72:   Cached whois for 68.42.37.72 : abuse[at]comcast.net

Using abuse net on abuse[at]comcast.net

abuse net comcast.net = abuse[at]comcast.net

Using best contacts abuse[at]comcast.net

warning:Yum, this spam is fresh!   Message is  0 hours old

68.42.37.72 not listed in dnsbl.njabl.org

68.42.37.72 not listed in dnsbl.njabl.org

68.42.37.72 listed in cbl.abuseat.org ( 127.0.0.2 )

spam report id 1117032444 sent to: abuse[at]comcast.net

May be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z552249643z33...9b89b3d5812187z

If you follow that tracking url you can see that http links would be reported "If reported today, reports would be sent to:". But there is also a section that states:

Reports regarding this spam have already been sent:

Re: 68.42.37.72 (Administrator of network where email originates)

Reportid: 1117032444 To: abuse[at]comcast.net

I have been looking for this specific thing on the 100 or so reports I have submitted since seeing your post and have found NO evidence that links are being reported with quick reporting.

My guess is that you are either seeing the [Report History] link by each link found under the tracking URL, which (as I understand it) shows all of the reports sent about that issue by any user. Or you are miss reading the bottom of the page where it says it "would send".

I renew my request for a way to do quick reporting and have reports only sent on account of spam sources and relays, not URLs.  The bottom line response here on that request was that that's what quick reporting does, anyway.  But the mailed-back reports from Spamcop about quick reporting say otherwise.  I have become a "mole" solely to avoid stirring up trouble for innocent web publishers, and I don't have time for non-quick reporting.

Quick reporting -- either using your custom url and quick instead of submit or using the webpage and clicking quick report and trash or using the report as spam button in webmail only report the injecting IP (and in some cases a relaying IP) -- the quick method does not report links/urls.

Thanks for the authoritative response. Sorry I pestered everybody about it. I must have misread the reports. Next time, I won't make assertions without checking whether I can back them up.

Archived