[Resolved] Trouble reporting

Oriolus

With much effort I am logged in and now can post this message in this discussion.

My problem is that I cannot get logged in into the reporting part of SpamCop.net, as soon as I go to that part of it: http://www.spamcop.net/sc .

I have to fill in my user name and password, but that is refused.

My underlying problem is that since yesterday my browser was reconfigured by RealPlayer (when installing that sh**… And since then I have the problem that each user has to get Admin permission to run Firefox... under Vista, terrible)

By this action my automatically stored (and filled out, when the reporting page is opened in my browser) user name and password were cleared, and I really don’t know what they were before, but they must be the same as I used to being able to join this discussion now, but as I said, the same combination is refused...

TIA, Oriolus.

With much effort I am logged in and now can post this message in this discussion.

My problem is that I cannot get logged in into the reporting part of SpamCop.net, as soon as I go to that part of it: http://www.spamcop.net/sc .

You require a separate registration for the reporting service which is unrelated to these forums.

Although you have posted this question in the flat-rate Email support forum my reading of your comment suggests to me that you are not a SpamCop Email service user.

Please let us know if my understanding is incorrect.

Andrew

but they must be the same as I used to being able to join this discussion now, but as I said, the same combination is refused...

TIA, Oriolus.

They are definitely NOT the same. Your login username here in the forums is Oriolus and not your email address. The login username for reporting is the email address you signed up with.

IF you are an email account holder, the email address and password for the reporting site are the same as the login credentials for the webmail site.

i'm not sure about the url you've posted here. It should be simply www.spamcop.net .... no following slashes, text, etc.

not mentioned was any arrempt at using the "forgot password" link ... but the confusion also continues ...

My underlying problem is that since yesterday my browser was reconfigured by RealPlayer (when installing that sh**… And since then I have the problem that each user has to get Admin permission to run Firefox... under Vista, terrible)

By this action my automatically stored (and filled out, when the reporting page is opened in my browser) user name and password were cleared, and I really don’t know what they were before, but they must be the same as I used to being able to join this discussion now, but as I said, the same combination is refused...

no .... Why are there so many different account names/passwords needed?

You require a separate registration for the reporting service which is unrelated to these forums.

Although you have posted this question in the flat-rate Email support forum my reading of your comment suggests to me that you are not a SpamCop Email service user.

Please let us know if my understanding is incorrect.

I am not a SpamCop Email service user.

i'm not sure about the url you've posted here. It should be simply www.spamcop.net .... no following slashes, text, etc.

It seems to not matter very much: with both URLs I get the same page with the URL mentioned.

not mentioned was any arrempt at using the "forgot password" link ... but the confusion also continues ...

no .... Why are there so many different account names/passwords needed?

I requested for a new password with the only working email address that I know of, which is also the address that receives a copy of a sent report (checked as receiving the same report as the offending abuse-addresses or postmaster-addresses) but I didn't get any answer to that request.

I also mailed to Jim (support[at]Spamcop.net) telling about my troubles, but withdrew it in a later email to him because I (erronuously) thought that I succeed in getting the right username/password, because I could post in this forum. I shall have to mail him again, I suppose?

I requested for a new password with the only working email address that I know of, which is also the address that receives a copy of a sent report (checked as receiving the same report as the offending abuse-addresses or postmaster-addresses) but I didn't get any answer to that request.

I also mailed to Jim (support[at]Spamcop.net) telling about my troubles, but withdrew it in a later email to him because I (erronuously) thought that I succeed in getting the right username/password, because I could post in this forum. I shall have to mail him again, I suppose?

I'm lost ... and I believe it's due to you not following any of the provided links, reading any of the data provided, among other things. There is no one I know that goes by the name "Jim" that has any known official or volunteer status with SpamCop.net services. You identified the e-mail address for the person that owns/maintains the servers userd to provide the newsgroups, e-mail accounts, this Forum ... absolutely nothing to do with the Parsing & Reporting system.

Repeat of previously provided information - Why are there so many different account names/passwords needed?

Item 1 - Section 8 - SpamCop's System & Active Staff User Guide

Item 2 - Password Problems?

There is a reason all these FAQs were developed, posted, linked to, referenced, pointed to, etc., etc. etc. .. If this post doesn't clear anything up, please state just what seems to be missing in all of that data ....

As you now state that there is no SpamCop.net e-mail account involved, this is being moved to the Reporting Help forum section.

... I believe it's due to you not following any of the provided links, reading any of the data provided, among other things. There is no one I know that goes by the name "Jim" that has any known official or volunteer status with SpamCop.net services.

You are right: it was Jeff (not Jim, sorry Jeff) that was introduced to me in the FAQ, or where ever. I followed up several hints to undertake. I found out that one of the e-mail addresses I use, was apparently the one with which I introduced myself long ago. I used this address to send a request for a new password (I did this several times), but there came no response. Reason why I addressed support[at]spamcop.net, and apparently not the address to which I should have cried for help in this case:

You identified the e-mail address for the person that owns/maintains the servers userd to provide the newsgroups, e-mail accounts, this Forum ... absolutely nothing to do with the Parsing & Reporting system.

Sorry, but I was desperate and after being able to use this forum, I mailed Jeff that I could log in, which was not true for reporting, but only for this forum. I didn't know that at that time. After that I read all what was in Why are there so many different account names/passwords needed?. This was an overwhelming lot of information. I tried to really understand what is stated there and I'll tell what was not so very clear to me, but I only got clear of this information that I should get hold of an other pair of username/password to be able to sending reports again.

So what? Should I contact Don/Argyle - Administrative affairs or what, and how?

By reading more carefully, Jeff is the one to address when folks with SpamCop email addresses can reset their password (so he has seemingly nothing to do with this forum, concerning passwords):

If you've truly forgotten your password, there's nothing for it but to contact Jeff, the owner of the email service, by writing to him here: support [at] spamcop.net

He'll need some details from you so that he knows you own the account you want a password for.

But never mind.

I also followed the right way, in stead of bothering Jeff, but as I wrote already, I didn't get a response:

Users with "Reporting Only" accounts (no email services) can get a new password by simply giving their username to the "denied" page when login fails. SpamCop will send you an obnoxious machine-generated password you can use to get back in.

http://www.spamcop.net/denied.shtml

Your username is your whole email address. Only a very few long-time users still have the old one-word usernames, and they know who they are.

I tried my user name Oriolus (one of the very few long-time users?), but this answered:

No user found for input: oriolus

and my e-mail address (I didn't get this red message), but neither did I get any confirming e-mail back.

TIA, Oriolus

I tried my user name Oriolus (one of the very few long-time users?), but this answered:

No user found for input: oriolus

and my e-mail address (I didn't get this red message), but neither did I get any confirming e-mail back.

TIA, Oriolus

And did you notice the sentence under the reset form:

If you still cannot access your account, email service[at]admin.spamcop.net for assistance. Please provide some proof that the account you want access to belongs to you.
This also answers the question you posed:
So what? Should I contact Don/Argyle - Administrative affairs or what, and how?

I must apologize for my stupidness:

With a rule I meant to move all my reports to a special folder.

Now that I was composing an e-mail to try to get help from service[at]admin.spamcop.net, I went into this special folder to fetch a recent report to prove that I am Oriolus.

I noticed several e-mails, reminders of having an answer to my question in the forum, but also several new passwords... How awfully clumsy!

The first try with the most recent password resulted in a refusal because my browser was said to not accepting cookies, but with a dumb retry, with nothing having changed, I succeeded in logging in again.

Many thanks to all your efforts to get me logged in again. I shall have to change the rule for moving mails to my special folder: Neither alerts for replies in the forum, nor automatic replies to reset passwords should land in that folder, only reports should land there...

Again, my sincere apologies for my clumsiness :wub:

Oriolus

I must apologize for my stupidness:

With a rule I meant to move all my reports to a special folder.

Now that I was composing an e-mail to try to get help from service[at]admin.spamcop.net, I went into this special folder to fetch a recent report to prove that I am Oriolus.

I noticed several e-mails, reminders of having an answer to my question in the forum, but also several new passwords... How awfully clumsy!

The first try with the most recent password resulted in a refusal because my browser was said to not accepting cookies, but with a dumb retry, with nothing having changed, I succeeded in logging in again.

Many thanks to all your efforts to get me logged in again. I shall have to change the rule for moving mails to my special folder: Neither alerts for replies in the forum, nor automatic replies to reset passwords should land in that folder, only reports should land there...

Again, my sincere apologies for my clumsiness :wub:

Oriolus

Thank you for coming here and letting us know it is resolved. We have many cases here which may end the same way as yours, but that the OP's do not want to let us know what really happened and they simply drop it.

With this post, I am marking the thread Resolved.

Archived