Where are the cartooneys?

Telarin

Aren't we do for a good cartooney poster to make fun of? Seems like we haven't had a good solid threat to sue spamcop in weeks, maybe even months...

I'm hoping the general quiet arouund here recently indicates the FAQ's are doing the bulk of that work. (I like my rose colored glasses)

I think they're all waiting to see how that judge gets on - the one who's suing his drycleaners for 50-something million because they allegedly lost a pair of his trousers - Pearson v Custom Cleaners. If hizonner gets that one up they will all have to adjust their aspirations. Lost trousers happen, turning that into a couple of lifetime's earnings certainly raises the stakes. We had an Eminent Person, former Prime Minister, who lost his trousers in Houston once and under mysterious circumstances. I've been there, just the one time and for less than a day, I can see how that could happen. But I digress.

I think they're all waiting to see how that judge gets on - the one who's suing his drycleaners for 50-something million because they allegedly lost a pair of his trousers - Pearson v Custom Cleaners.

That's local news for me. The judge originally was asking US$65M, but was prevailed upon to reduce the damages by about $11M (well, moving in the correct direction, anyway).

-- rick

Good to hear he is so reasonable. Fair restores my faith in humanity, that does. Thanks Rick.

Heard some update today...the case has concluded and the judge (not the plaintiff judge, the judge judge) expects to hand down her ruling by Friday. Will give an exclusive report here if I am able, as I know many of us are terribly concerned about a member of the bench running around without pants (well, a male member of the bench, anyway).

-- rick

• 2 weeks later...
Will give an exclusive report here if I am able, as I know many of us are terribly concerned about a member of the bench running around without pants (well, a male member of the bench, anyway).
As promised, and for those interested, I note that Judge Pearson has lost his $54M suit outright. He is supposed to pay the defendants' costs, although it appears that his financial condition is such that they'd better not count on it.

(Yahoo! news item)

-- rick

Thanks Rick

... The case garnered international attention and renewed calls for litigation reform.

"This case was giving American justice a black eye around the world, and it was all the more upsetting because it was a judge and lawyer who was bringing the suit," said Paul Rothstein, a Georgetown University law professor.

Rothstein said Monday's ruling "restores one's confidence in the legal system." ...

Indeed. And there is the question of hizonner's fitness for his occupation (Administrative Law Judge) arising out of this whole sorry situation, one is given to understand. Considering ...
ALJs have almost no power; their decisions are accorded practically no deference and become, in effect, recommendations. ...
... he would not seem the menace to society some (in other places) have been implying.

Thanks RickIndeed. And there is the question of hizonner's fitness for his occupation (Administrative Law Judge) arising out of this whole sorry situation, one is given to understand. Considering ...... he would not seem the menace to society some (in other places) have been implying.

I found, via the Washington Post, the court's findings of fact (links to a PDF) for the case. Pearson seems to have been rather down-at-heel before landing the ALJ gig, he was actually unemployed and had to ration his trips to the cleaners so as not to max his credit card. He also tried a similar hyper-litigation of his fairly routine divorce, in which he also appeared pro se as the lawyers put it.

Taken all together, it's a pretty sordid affair. Pearson stands to lose his ALJ job if Judge Bartnoff decides to get medieval on his -- well, on whatever she might get medieval on. Still (to bring this somewhat back on topic), maybe he could join Soloway's legal team, since he'd probably work cheap at this point.

The excellent term "empty suit" comes to mind, but of course in this case the pants are missing.

-- rick

• 1 month later...

Archived