I don't follow directions very well

nekoinu

When you get the Error "No body provided, check format of submission", please make very sure that the spam really did not have a body (by reviewing the raw text of the spam) and then resubmit the spam, adding some text in substitution for the body per http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2640. I use the substitute text "bodyless" without quotes because it's easy to type. SpamCop Admins and Deputies have not yet condemned this particular practice, despite plenty of opportunity.

For more information on resubmitting, please see FAQ Entry: Resubmitting to Get New Tracking URL.

I am receiving pdf files with no body in the message. All I have been doing is

entering the headers (as normal)

entering a blank line (as normal)

Entering another line (as normal) and then hitting one space on the space bar.

In the notes section I just state that email came with no body.

moderator edit: extracted from http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=5019 and moved into the Reporting Help Forum section ..... this post clearly states that it is dealing with a spam seen "to have a body" .... therefore, no connection to the referenced topic it was posted into. PM sent.

I am receiving pdf files with no body in the message.

major discrepancy here .... if there is "no body" then there is "no pdf" ...

if there "is a pdf" ... then the e-mail 'does have a body' ... therefore the Topic you posted into has no correlation to "your instructions" (assuming that this is why you posted into that Forum section)

All I have been doing is

entering the headers (as normal)

entering a blank line (as normal)

Entering another line (as normal) and then hitting one space on the space bar.

In the notes section I just state that email came with no body.

Although not necessaruly "breaking the rules" this is a long ways from the "unofficial" guidance offered here, and then you admit to lying about the condition of the received spam. From the perspective of the person receiving the report, this modified and falsely described spam complaint would lead to other issues when working with data received from SpamCop.net. A 'white-hat' ISP may eventually report 'you' for bad reporting, comparing dozens of other spam reports with the same Subject: line, comparible header data, and you are the only one playing games with your submittal .....

Recommendations, find a way to submit them correctly, do your own "manual reports" .. or simply delete them before you do lose your reporting privileges.

OK. There is obviously a body in the email but no text in the body area. Only an attached pdf file. So what to paste into the box if entering one blank space in lieu of any body text is "modifying" the email?

Have you tried submitting the spam without 'modifying' it? If it works, then you have no problem. There is another thread somewhere that discusses pdf spam pdf spam discussion and others seem to be reporting them ok. If I look at the message source in OE at an email that has an attached pdf file, then the pdf code is there so there should be no problem.

If it doesn't work, then I would think that adding a line that says "attached pdf file" would be ok. It is similar to the "no body" line that is tacitly agreed to be ok even though not strictly according to spamcop rules.

I don't know what kind of email reader you are using or how you are submitting your spam. That might make a difference in the results you get.

Ordinarily, one should never 'look' at a spam except in whatever the equivalent of OE message source is.

Miss Betsy

OK. There is obviously a body in the email but no text in the body area. Only an attached pdf file. So what to paste into the box if entering one blank space in lieu of any body text is "modifying" the email?

OE6 Secure handling of e-mail, Why Forward won't work attempts to explain / demonstrate the issue of what is seen / not seen in a spam body.

What about 'picture' spam? goes round and round about the subject, and these 'newer' PDF files are seen to be just another version of that same process.

[How-to] Post a Question (and prevent stupid/rude answers) includes the line about tools in use, version numbers, operating system, etc. From your description about pasting in various pieces and adding blank lines, it's not really clear as to just what your are using to handle your e-mail. There is the two-part form to somewhat handle issues with Outlook and Eudora, but this wouldn't require the 'extra blank line' ..... There are third-party tools available for Outlook, if that's what you are using. Depending on the version of Outlook, there may be a Regeistry hack that may resolve some issues.

But again, this is simply spinning wheels and wasting time here, as none of this essential data was provided in your initial post.

Archived