someone using my email to spam others

Hannah828

Hello there. I am new here so please don't throw things at me. :( I keep getting emails from people who want to be unsubscribed from my list. Problem is, the list is not mine and I don't know these people. It is getting worse by the hour. I have sent in a report to spam Cop. The problem is, I am afraid that other people are going to be reporting ME as spam. I have emailed a couple of the people explaining the problem but I can't sit here all day doing that. I have work to do. If anyone understands and can explain what is happening and how I might be able to resolve it I would surely appreciate it.

Thanks!

Here is your TRACKING URL - it may be saved for future reference:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1368884117z8...7a4f7daa143e42z

I keep getting emails from people who want to be unsubscribed from my list. Problem is, the list is not mine and I don't know these people. It is getting worse by the hour. I have sent in a report to spam Cop. The problem is, I am afraid that other people are going to be reporting ME as spam.

Hi Hannah,

Welcome along. The SpamCop BL does not take any interest in the Email address at the top of spam Email. It is well understood that spammers forge the FROM lines in the Emails they send out but there is very little you can do to stop the flow of failure messages that arrive with you.

Typically this junk will die off in a day or two so I recommend you just delete and move on unless the messages continue for longer than three days.

Andrew

Hello there. I am new here so please don't throw things at me. :(

Equal opportunity here .. new, old, young, bald ... doesn't matter ... stuff still gets thrown.

I keep getting emails from people who want to be unsubscribed from my list. Problem is, the list is not mine and I don't know these people. It is getting worse by the hour.

SpamCop FAQ entry 'here' on that would be something like Why am I gettinag all these Bounces? .. the issue being the forged From: address.

I have sent in a report to spam Cop. Tracking URL

Before you do that again, you really need to also visit the How to Use .. Reporting Forum section .. specifically, the Topic dealing with submitting spam from a Yahoo account. What I see is a copy of the screen while looking at the web-based interface of the Yahoo account. Although I'm very surprised that the parser somehow skipped over the first bad line, the end result was somewhat the same .. format is bad (based on the 'last line' and the lack of prior whitespace) ... Unfortunately, if the parse had succeeded, it would have gone to Google, who basicaly doesn't handle these things (they have their own massive Topic/Discussion in this Forum) ....

The problem is, I am afraid that other people are going to be reporting ME as spam.

You did say you were new ... let's leave it that only 'new' people would believe the "From:" field content these days.

I have emailed a couple of the people explaining the problem but I can't sit here all day doing that. I have work to do. If anyone understands and can explain what is happening and how I might be able to resolve it I would surely appreciate it.

A waste of time .. yet, those e-mail certainly could end up bering reported as spam, and those reports would in fact be targetted against you and your ISP's e-mail server.

As far as time, explaining things, etc. ... that's why so many folks tried so hard to build up the FAQ, the Dictionary, the Glossary, the Wiki .... so that things didn't need to be re-explained every day. It does get depressing to still have to re-explain things every day anyway.

It depresses Wazoo to re-explain things that are in the FAQ, but it all depends on other people's moods whether they answer or give you a link to the FAQ.

I find the FAQ hard to navigate (and I even wrote some of them!) so if you can't find what you want or don't understand what you find, if I have time to be here and to answer, I would try to help you.

Unfortunately, if all you want to know is how to stop these unsubscribe notifications, then there isn't anything to be done. But there is no way to stop the spammer from forging your address. Also, there is no one who can really do anything to harm you who would think that you were sending the spam.

The best thing to do is to try to filter them into a folder so that you can delete them easily.

Miss Betsy

Archived