Hotmail messages keep increasing

Miss Betsy

I am not ordinarily observant about these things, but when I log on to a new Hotmail Account, the number of messages was 110 yesterday and 115 today, but as far as I can see there are no new messages in the inbox since Aug 4. There are no messages in the Junk folder.

Are sent messages counted? That might account for it because I sent three messages and trashed one message (part of the 110 count) and trashed an undeliverable reply from one of the three messages.

Miss Betsy

... but as far as I can see there are no new messages in the inbox since Aug 4. There are no messages in the Junk folder.

Are sent messages counted?

As a casual observation I have also noted my mail app doesn't always really "know" the correct number of emails that are new. Multi choice question:

A) Young application programmers can't count. Just look at the security issues with most software and you will note that they seem to revolve around buffer overflow, i.e. can't count the number of bits, bytes, words in the buffer. During my last paying job as a secure system software analysis the most common problem was loop counters. They would set the count correctly and didn't pay attention to the how the loop worked, looping once to often or one short.

B ) It seems that some spammers have found ways to "confuse" mail apps so that the headers don't get set correctly as to read/not read. Miss Betsy, not to question your popularity, but I assume lots of the 115 messages are spam. If when writing an application you assume the input (incoming email) is benign, it is easier to write, faster, smaller and cheaper. Is the displayed count a security issue? Not likely, so it goes to the bottom of the priority list if things to care about or fix.

C) All above

D) None above

HMHO When you don't know, pick "C".

Lou

Thanks for your analysis! About what I expected. It's like the 'reporting time' counter for submitting spam - it just doesn't mean anything useful.

(although none of the messages are spam! nothing much ever gets deleted and it's not a personal email address)

Miss Betsy

Archived