No IP address or Would Send or No checkboxes

Couple of questions

[JeffG added "and "If reported today,

reports would be sent to:" behaviors" 2004/03/29]

Note that the display from SpamCop Tracking URLs will _always_ say

"Would send...", so it is important for the person encountering the

problem to know whether the "Would send..." occurred on the first viewing,

not just after the fact.

Does this mean that it /doesn't/ _always_ say "Would Send"?

It also seems to me that sometimes the way that the email service submits spam and the way that reporting only people submit spam makes a difference in how they phrase their questions. And that it would be better to answer them using the same language, one for email service and one for reporting only - although in general the answers might be the same, the way it is explained may not.

DRAFT

This FAQ starts simplest explanations first and moves to more complex situations:

If you are new to SpamCop, make sure that you are using /forward as attachment/ not forwarding inline.

see http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html

If you are using email submission, sometimes using the URL and sometimes going to the web page, you may have already reported that spam.

If you are using cut-and-paste, sometimes a burp in connection will cause this problem. The cure is to back up to the submitting page, verify the information is pasted correctly, and try again.

Once a spam has been reported, the web page will always have the addresses where the report(s) were sent. so it is important for the person encountering the problem to know whether the "Would send..." occurred on the first viewing,not just after the fact.

If you are using email submission, not parsing a message until several hours after you forwarded it to SpamCop.

Items to check for

If there is no body to the spam message, only headers, then you will get the report addresses, but no report to send. For unknown reasons, some spam does not contain any text. It is permissible to add <no message found> with a blank line between the headers and your addition. (possible link to how to do this in various mail clients? Someone else would have to write it because I only know how to do it as cut-and-paste)

If there is no blank line between the headers and body, then you will get the report addresses, but no report to send. There has been at least one report that the commercial product "SpamKiller" from McAfee will eliminate that blank line if you view the details of a piece of spam and copy/paste from there. You are permitted to add the blank line in order to get the parser to provide reports.

If the headers and body are mixed together, the parser can’t handle it. There is nothing you can do to fix this problem.

If the Content Type does not match the body, you will get [Error]. You can change the Content Type to the correct type and re-parse.

If the Boundary is run together, you will get [Error]. SpamCop does not allow you to correct this error and re-parse.

There are assorted other mangled headers that the parser won’t try to parse.

See http://www.spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/17.html to see if your headers are correct. Other than the Received: lines (which are always essential) the headers must contain at least ONE of the following components in order for the parser to consider a submission to provide *full* headers.

· Subject:

· Message-ID:

[Error] means I am not sure what happens and don't have time to look it up right now.

Feedback please

Miss Betsy

Archived