New Feature: Greylisting *UPDATED*

I have been using the greylist feature for some time (almost from the time it was offered) and I have really appreciated the amount of spam it has removed from my account, but I have just a small complaint.

Usually I don't have an issue with waiting for an e-mail from a new correspondent to be cleared through the greylist, so I just let it work automatically.

Occasionally, I am interested is getting a new address cleared quickly, so I use the greylist management tool in webmail options to find the new message and clear it personally for delivery. When I do that, it disappears from the held list immediately, but doesn't show up in my inbox for up to an hour later.

I would appreciate it if someone would look into why it doesn't show up in my inbox immediately.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would appreciate it if someone would look into why it doesn't show up in my inbox immediately.

Never had it turn up immediately, but it has within 15 minutes sometimes longer

I try to whitelist any domain I'm expecting mail from (best practice)

Also I'm not clear myself as to what takes place if one selects "allow" on "pending entries"

It may just allow/OK very next email to pass straight through. Greylisting just sends a temporary reject message to resend which a compliant mail server ("RFC 821") must do within a set time (30 t0 60 minutes?).

...Greylisting just sends a temporary reject message to resend which a compliant mail server ("RFC 821") must do within a set time (30 t0 60 minutes?).
There seems to be a diversity of practice and that is a potential snag. It may be that 5 minutes is now something of a defacto standard. But I've had some of my mail fail because the short retry time of my ISP (considerably less than that 5 minute region - and 100 retries or permanent rejection before giving up) was too short for the receiving site (not SC), which was expecting no less than 10 minutes between tries and was programmed to permanently reject if it got more than 3 retries in that time (an empirical figure that apparently kept actual/presumed spam levels way down). So yeah, both sender and receiver apparently need to be on something like the same 'wavelength' and I can see some conservatism on either side affecting delivery times and I can see that being variable.

There seems to be a diversity of practice and that is a potential snag.

So yeah, both sender and receiver apparently need to be on something like the same 'wavelength' and I can see some conservatism on either side affecting delivery times and I can see that being variable.

The original was a minimum of 30 minutes between retries any quicker a permanent rejection

Greylisting works and the only static will be from those that don't want it or any spam prevention (except their own) to work NANAE (news.admin.net-abuse.email) is full of them.

I think 15 minutes would now be a safe resend time, as spam runs go for hours and are unlikely to resend

(a big problem if a server is set to permanently reject email on attempts greater than 30 minutes)

The latest and changing is

When a mail server is greylisted, the duration of time between the initial delay and the re-transmission is variable. Some mail servers use a default of four hours, though most will retry sooner. Most open-source MTAs have retry rules set to attempt delivery after around fifteen minutes (Sendmail default is 0, 15, ..., Exim default is 0, 15, ..., Postfix default is 0, 16.6, ..., Qmail default is 0, 6:40, 26:40, ..., Courier default is 0, 5, 10, 15, 30, 35, 40, 70, 75, 80,...). Microsoft Exchange defaults to 0, 1, 2, 22, 42, 62 ...

Edited by petzl

• 5 months later...

Hi Brad, your query has drawn no response so far so to get something happening ...

Merged with this lengthy topic - have you skimmed through it already?

Have you looked at http://www.greylisting.org/forums/index.php ?

That comes up 404 not found -- any new pointer?

Just trying to read up on everything before asking questions here.

(Mine is -- after I approved a message that appears in the graylist, and an hour goes by and it never shows up anywhere, can I still find it somehow or urge it to appear?)

I'll keep reading.

Hi Brad, your query has drawn no response so far so to get something happening ...

Merged with this lengthy topic - have you skimmed through it already?

Have you looked at http://www.greylisting.org/forums/index.php ?

That comes up 404 not found -- any new pointer?

Just trying to read up on everything before asking questions here.

(Mine is -- after I approved a message that appears in the graylist, and an hour goes by and it never shows up anywhere, can I still find it somehow or urge it to appear?)

I'll keep reading.

Oops on the link. Not offhand - bit pressed for time at the moment but I would try it on the wayback machine - http://web.archive.org/web/20080615193326/...orums/index.php - look for a distinctive phrase or two and search the internet to see if the content has been moved somewhere else or whether the same topics are covered elsewhere. The latest archive copy is June 2008 which is a bit ancient but maybe enough to indicate some search terms.