Head-scratching spam

rconner

Tracking link here.

It seemed safe to report to rediff.com as it was the origin as well as the host for one of several suspicious website links.

I can't figure out what is going on here, but I'm pretty sure it isn't good.

There are two attachments that are supposed to be images, but don't correspond to any format i can detect (they both contain the ASCII string "Software: Microsoft Office").

There are links to a possibly real or bogus Google Group and to some other service on rediff.com.

A trite poem is provided as camouflage.

Anyone ever seen any spams like this one?

-- rick

There are two attachments that are supposed to be images, but don't correspond to any format i can detect (they both contain the ASCII string "Software: Microsoft Office").
Yeah, each is a pic, Rick (sorry, the Devil made me do it). Toastedspam reveals a bunch of folk in sneakers and color-co-ordinated outfits each trudging stage left. each dragging a cross, not a Centurion in sight. Somebody has seen the light and wants to share, I guess. Googling shows they want to share with a great many people who would rather not be shared with. The volume is a little out of the ordinary it seems.

Somebody has seen the light and wants to share, I guess.
Thanks for the decodes, Farelf.

Hmm... so, spamming is What Jesus Would Do, I suppose.

I admit to continued puzzlement as to why this message is so complex, with all the external links (some of which seem dead) and the camouflage disclaimers etc. Also, it appears that the sender botched the message and did not include all the embedded images he called for in the markup.

But, then again, I'm not a true believer.

-- rick

I come as all things to all men so that by any means I might win some, OWTTE - certainly possible it might just be camouflage for something more profane but incompetence might be "the" answer. In the ostensible spirit of the thing I guess maybe we can be charitable and assume the latter. :D

Archived