[Resolved] Webmail not pulling any of my email from POP servers

Hi there. I'm having a very frustrating issue with my spamcop webmail at the moment. I've written to the folks at Spamcop several times using the "Problem" link but have yet to hear from anyone (it's been about four days since my first email). I'm hoping by posting here, maybe somebody can let me know if it's something I've set in my options that's the problem or if something else is going on.

I've just recently switched hosting from BlueHost to HostDime where I now have a dedicate server (unfortunately, the site I switched for was just too big to be handled on BlueHost's shared servers). Before I did that, my POP email was being brought into Spamcop and filtered just fine. Now that I've made the switch, my POP email isn't being pulled into Spamcop at all.

I'm not sure what the problem is. For one of the accounts, it even tells me it can't fine the server. To specify, the POP email information IS correct. I can download my email using Thunderbird with those exact same settings just fine - plus, I can use Mailwasher and do the same with no problems. But for some reason, POP pulling within Spamcop's webmail has completely stopped working for me.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I LOVE Spamcop. I'd REALLY like to keep on using the service as I genuinely find it to be the easiest thing out there. But if this keeps up, I'm going to have to switch to Mailwasher (which is a pain in the you-know-where because it requires a HUGE amount of maintenance and I get a LOT of spam in a day).

Um... Help?

Getting desperate here...

--Jodi

I've written to the folks at Spamcop several times using the "Problem" link but have yet to hear from anyone (it's been about four days since my first email).

Today is the first day back to work for most U.S. based folks .. there being a three-day weekend involved with 'celebrating' something on Monday .... perhaps also feeding into the slow esponse time.

I'm hoping by posting here, maybe somebody can let me know if it's something I've set in my options that's the problem or if something else is going on.

I've just recently switched hosting from BlueHost to HostDime

Not really enough data for the 'volunteers' here to jump in on ... it's assumed you're talking about the web-site (dedicated) hosting specifically, based on your "too big" comments .. but not mentioned was the actual e-mail server stuff. We could assume that you are using some shared server provided by HostDime, but ...???? Does the 'dedicated server' also include your e-mail handling?

I'm not sure what the problem is. For one of the accounts, it even tells me it can't fine the server.

???? implies that 'other' accounts do something else? If one assumes that what you mean is xxx[at]hostdime's server errors out with srerver not found, but yyy[at]hostdime's server simply doesn't POP, then the suggestion would be that there is a typo involved.

Going with "multiple" accounts, is this the correct way to set iy up? Going with that 'one' web-site comes with 'one' InBox .. you're using a catch-all type of account (any and all e-mail to thae Domain involved is accepted) .. is it possible that you're trying to access just one 'account/address' in your list of 'desired' addresses (say sales[at]whatever) and this is what's actually not working ....????

To specify, the POP email information IS correct. I can download my email using Thunderbird with those exact same settings just fine - plus, I can use Mailwasher and do the same with no problems.

Mailwasher isn't an e-mail client, to the best of my knowledge, so I'm not sure what that part of the above means. But, in this description, it's hard not to trip over the "my e-mail" ad the "one account - server not found" description, noting also the suggested typo issue.

But for some reason, POP pulling within Spamcop's webmail has completely stopped working for me.

Technically, I read the issue as that "POP pulling" has yet to work for this 'new' hosted account ... which really isn't the same as "worked yesterday, but stopped this morning" ..... semantics, yet the search for issues would focus on different aspects.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Enough times that FAQ entries were created here to help in setting things up, some troubleshooting steps, even the "How I use .." tutorials offered up here and in the WIki ....

For the "worked but now it's broken" situation, the usual first thing to chjeck is to recreate the account and give it sanother shot .... However ....

Your issue is that it has yet to ever 'start working' with your new host. I've brought up several possible issues in the above .... will have to wait for some of your help now to go any further ....

Today is the first day back to work for most U.S. based folks .. there being a three-day weekend involved with 'celebrating' something on Monday .... perhaps also feeding into the slow response time.

Understood. I'm in Canada so not unaware of the Labor Day holiday. But as I'm self-employed and very rarely get any time off myself, I sometimes forget that others do. ;) In any case, I believe my first email came through on Thursday before the holiday started. I gave some details in there that might allow the folks who received that information to recreate the problem - and am not going to include them here because they involve passwords and such, but you get the idea.

Not really enough data for the 'volunteers' here to jump in on ... it's assumed you're talking about the web-site (dedicated) hosting specifically, based on your "too big" comments .. but not mentioned was the actual e-mail server stuff. We could assume that you are using some shared server provided by HostDime, but ...???? Does the 'dedicated server' also include your e-mail handling?

To specify, I moved my hosting. I used to have my websites (and all their associated email addresses) hosted on the shared servers at BlueHost. I've since moved all the websites and their corresponding email addresses to HostDime where I have a dedicated server. If that's not enough detail, let me know what else you need and I'll be happy to provide it.

???? implies that 'other' accounts do something else? If one assumes that what you mean is xxx[at]hostdime's server errors out with srerver not found, but yyy[at]hostdime's server simply doesn't POP, then the suggestion would be that there is a typo involved.

I looked at that. There's no typo.

Going with "multiple" accounts, is this the correct way to set iy up? Going with that 'one' web-site comes with 'one' InBox .. you're using a catch-all type of account (any and all e-mail to thae Domain involved is accepted) .. is it possible that you're trying to access just one 'account/address' in your list of 'desired' addresses (say sales[at]whatever) and this is what's actually not working ....????

The SpamCop account can pull email from various different accounts into the one place for filtering - then I download all the filtered email directly from SpamCop. When I go to your "Options" > "Spamcop Tools" > "Configure external POP servers." , it gives me the opportunity to put in multiple POP accounts, the corresponding pop server, email address and password. I've filled these out. The information there IS correct. If it wasn't, I wouldn't be able to use Thunderbird to download the email directly or Mailwasher to view the email on the server (I'm not suggesting Mailwasher is an email program. It filters and allows me to delete spam from my server before downloading. That's what I use it for).

However, when I look there now, it's telling me that all three of the other accounts that were not displaying errors previously, are displaying "Cannot fine server" errors - and the one that WAS displaying this error before, is no longer displaying it.

Very strange. And I have no explanation for it. I was hoping someone at SpamCop would.

Mailwasher isn't an e-mail client, to the best of my knowledge, so I'm not sure what that part of the above means.

I explained above. It's one of the tools I'm forced to use now that Spamcop is not working for me. But it's not an email program, no.

But, in this description, it's hard not to trip over the "my e-mail" ad the "one account - server not found" description, noting also the suggested typo issue.

There is no typo. I've double checked many many times at this point, just in case that WAS the problem. And the fact that the one account that was giving me trouble before is now the only one that ISN'T displaying that error, seems to corroborate that evidence.

I have four pop accounts from which email is being drawn into SpamCop for filtering. As mentioned, before the server move, there had been no problems. I'm wondering if SpamCop just doesn't like the HostDime Servers or has problems with certain IP addresses?

Technically, I read the issue as that "POP pulling" has yet to work for this 'new' hosted account ... which really isn't the same as "worked yesterday, but stopped this morning" ..... semantics, yet the search for issues would focus on different aspects.

No, it doesn't seem to have worked properly once the server was changed, you're correct. But what I meant there was also that it was not showing errors until a certain time too - which is really two separate issues. Still, fixing one, will likely fix the other.

Enough times that FAQ entries were created here to help in setting things up, some troubleshooting steps, even the "How I use .." tutorials offered up here and in the WIki ....

And I was unable to find anything that dealt with this particular problem. Hopefully I've explained myself well enough that my question makes sense now? This looks to actually be an error somewhere. At this point, I'm not sure how to fix the problem.

If you feel I should look at other FAQs though, I'm fully willing to do that. I just haven't found anything helpful yet.

If you still need more clarifications, let me know and I'll do everything I can to provide them.

I *think* Jeff from over there might have made some adjustments and possibly fixed the problem though. I'll let you know once I've logged out and in again and waited a bit to see if it works.

All the best,

--Jodi

I just went through most of HostDime's knowledgebase ... a few review / commentary sites about them ...

They seem competent ..

Can't really 'check' anything, as I've no idea of the Domains involved ....

"Jeff" would be JT, the owner of the hardware providing te newsgroups, this Forum, and the SpamCop.net e-mail accounts, among other things. So yes, if he's on it, your e-mails should be answered in a bit. (Actually, he just 'said' that he had in fact sent you some e-mail recently)

The folks at HostDime were recommended to me by a web developer I trust to know about competence when it comes to technical knowledge. He respects the guys at HostDime. So far, I've found that web developer to be absolutely spot on in his assessment of them. I didn't think there would be anything in their servers that would be causing this problem, but I guess you can't rule out anything.

"Jeff" would be JT, the owner of the hardware providing te newsgroups, this Forum, and the SpamCop.net e-mail accounts, among other things. So yes, if he's on it, your e-mails should be answered in a bit.

As I promised to update, it does appear that the problem has been solved. And it appears to be some kind of adjustment that JT made. I have no idea what that entailed, but I re-entered all the POP mail information, then logged out and back in to my account and the system seems to now be downloading my emails as it should.

Thank you for your assistance.

All the best,

--Jodi

Archived