"Not a routeable IP address"

leolund

Yesterday I started recieving complaints from mail users inside our domain regarding emails blocked by SpamCop. The following is an example of text from the bounces:

The destination system is currently not accepting any messages. Please retry at a later time. If that fails, contact your system administrator.

<aspenx.aspenonnet.local #5.3.0 smtp;553 5.3.0 spam blocked see: http://spamcop.net/bl.shtml?67.96.152.131>

I followed the URL and discovered that my ISP had set up the DNS records incorrectly:

67.96.152.131> is not a routeable IP address

DNS error: has no reverse dns

I subsequently have called the ISP and they made the requisite PRT record change. Hopefully this will be enough to get us delisted.

Does this change eventually get detected, and will I be removed from the "bad" list in some specific time frame? Do I need to take any specific actions to get delisted?

Please feel free to plug in my IP and/or domain info to any search utility that might help me correct any additional problems. We are not spammers and we are not listed in the Open Relay database.

I thank you for your kind assistance in advance.

Well, there's actually more bad news. Smacking the SPamCopBL listing a bit harder, http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblo...p=67.96.152.131 ... I got this to shake out;

Query bl.spamcop.net - 67.96.152.131

DNS error: 67.96.152.131 is ns3.broadwing.net but ns3.broadwing.net is 216.140.16.252 instead of 67.96.152.131

this system has been reported about 10 times by less than 10 users. It has been sending mail consistently for at least 28.8 days. In the past 3.1 days, it has been listed 2 times for a total of 37 hours

Been reported as a source of spam less than 10 times

Been detected sending mail to spam traps

Parsing input: 67.96.152.131

host 67.96.152.131 = ns3.broadwing.net (cached)

Reporting addresses:

abuse[at]broadwing.net

So it would appear that if complaints had gone out, Broadwing would have some data on what happened. The spamtraps send no reports, and it is possible that the spam complaints may have been made by "mole status" reporters, which also would mean that reports weren't actually sent. Based on this data, I'd suggest that if you can't see where the spam is coming from, perhaps a nice note to Deputies at admin.spamcop.net might shed some light on what's actually happening.

You might want to take a look at Why am I Blocked while waiting for response from a Deputy. The DNS issue, if actually resolved will take a bit of time to traverse the 'net' .. depends on the cache settings of any system that's holding your data.

Hi, Wazoo,

Agree with the move, should have noticed that when I last posted .. thanks.

...No problem. Of far more value is your having answered the question! :)

...Oh, BTW: congrats on your promotion to Moderator.

Hi, Wazoo,

Agree with the move, should have noticed that when I last posted .. thanks.
...No problem. Of far more value is your having answered the question! :)

...Oh, BTW: congrats on your promotion to Moderator.

Seconded!

Archived