problem reporting spam via forwarding

agamemnus

...Based on my experience, I have to challenge that statement as written. It may be true (I say "may" not because I doubt it but because I am not sufficiently technically proficient or knowledgeable to know of my own knowledge) that Outlook sometimes fails to properly forward mail with the headers and message body intact but I have used both Outlook 2000 and 2003 to forward spam as attachment and it is successful most of the time.

The issues surrounding Outlook submittals are not strictly limited to Outlook.

One issue, was Outlook installed in 'Internet' of 'Corporate' Mode?

Another major item points back to the configuration of the 'Exchange server' itself.

Next is the spam construct itself.

All this followed by the exact steps taken by the user to 'capture' that e-mail for submittal.

Thanks people, all or most of this stuff has come up before (I'm sure) but I for one was really hazy on the detail so it helps me, at least, to have it discussed once more. So, the OP has problems, those don't seem to have been resolved and it really needs some more specifics on the Outlook installation, any exchange server involvement and the submission process attempted before any real 'homing-in' on the matter can proceed.

In the meantime, we have noted that reports to the spam origin network can be cancelled or (in the case of paying reporters) deselected but they don't then count for possible SCbl listing (the issue of any spamvertized site reporting is set aside). Mole reporting (no reports sent, ever) is available and might be preferred if this were to be the usual mode of the OP's operation but nothing said so far indicates this might be the case. Stats from all reports, including cancelled and mole non-reports, may serve some peripheral purpose in providing activity summaries to ISP admins but there is no evidence anyone is wildly excited about the precise counts in these.

Is that all correct?

Is that all correct?

For the most part yes. However,

(in the case of paying reporters) deselected

I have no idea what this might be about,

but they don't then count for possible SCbl listing (the issue of any spamvertized site reporting is set aside).

Possibly confusing to some future readers .. there is no connection between spamvertised sites and the SpamCopDNSBL.

Thanks Wazoo -

For the most part yes. However,

(in the case of paying reporters) deselected
I have no idea what this might be about,
Unchecking the report box for a report to the originating ISP, therefore report not sent - assuming that other reports (third party and/or spamvertized links) can be and *are* sent in that circumstance. Not sure, mentioned as a possibility.
... (the issue of any spamvertized site reporting is set aside)
.Possibly confusing to some future readers .. there is no connection between spamvertised sites and the SpamCopDNSBL.
Good point - reference meant to convey that the question/possibility of registration in the SURBL (which is unrelated to the SCbl) is outside the scope of the discussion so far.

Archived