[Resolved] How to be notified when I run out of "fuel"

bwawsc

I report spam silently via MailWasher Pro (that is, I don't acknowledge and confirm each report). I have my reporting options set so that I don't get a copy of each report that is sent. This seems to also prevent me from getting the "you are using SpamCop for free" messages, so I don't know when I've run out of "fuel". I also can't seem to find a way to check the status of my remaining "fuel" when I log in to SpamCop.

1. Is there a way, short of turning my reporting back on, to be notified when I run out of "fuel"

2. If not, can we get this added as a new feature?

--

Bill

I have no idea what you mean by "short of turning my reporting back on" All you have to do is log into your reporting account using your browser. At the top of the screen, under the main menu bar you should see the following:

Welcome, your user name. You have 14.3M bytes available.

Of course the number of bytes will vary base on our current "fuel" level.

Note: bytes = fuel

A question reguarding how you are reporting. Are you sending it to a quick address or a submit address.

If you are sending to a submit address then failing to confirm means you are wasting your time as it is a two step process. If you are doing quick reporting there is no confirmation step.

See: Quick Reporting

I expect there is no way short of checking periodically to see if you have fuel left. I have never seen a 'you are using spamcop for free' email, but that seems to indicate that you still have your user account although you have no fuel. In that case, I would expect that you could add fuel in the normal way without having to sign up again.

However, if you don't ever use the extra reporting features, why do you want to add fuel? And, it seems as though you don't or otherwise you would have seen the number of bytes of fuel you have left when you log in.

Miss Betsy

Suspicions .... bwawsc isn't reporting as he thinks he is .... what 'reports' his MailWasher are sending aren't actually doing much.

The bottom line here is that bwawsc may not actually have a SpamCop.net Reporting Account at all.

For some strange reason, that is all I'm allowed to say.

For some strange reason, that is all I'm allowed to say.

That is strange, Wazoo. In any case, I am reporting to a Quick address, or at least I think I am. I logged in and sure enough it does show how many M bytes I have left (49.5 as of today). I don't think I had ever noticed that. So thanks, dbiel, for pointing it out. There aren't enough hours in the day to go through the two step process for every spam message I receive, by the way. I don't see how anyone manages to do it - unless they get almost no spam to start with. I get more than 200 per day.

I used to get an email after every batch of reports I sent, telling me in detail where they went and how much "fuel" I had left. I had so much email from SpamCop it rivaled the spammers. I had to resort to auto-deleting it. When I ran out of "fuel" the messages would start telling me I was using SpamCop for free, and I would go add more - except when I deleted the messages I didn't see the status information. I turned off the reports, and then every few weeks I would log in and add more "fuel".

I don't pay to get features (reporting options or whatever). I pay to support the work SpamCop does. I report because I resent the spammers taking over the Internet and I want them to stop. I report to SpamCop, to Firetrust, to KnujOn, and others because they each have their own contribution to make toward the eventual defeat of the forces of chaos and evil :( represented by spammers. I hope that these agencies (SpamCop etc.) will eventually make spam unprofitable by their combined efforts.

Wazoo, I'm concerned about your suspicions. Do you have reason to think that I'm wasting my time?

Since you confirmed that you are using a "quick" address, you are not wasting your time. Had you been using a "submit" address and not completing the second step, then you would be wasting your time.

It might be wise to check the past reports on occasion just to see that everything is working right.

Wazoo, I'm concerned about your suspicions. Do you have reason to think that I'm wasting my time?

Since he is not allowed to say because he knows too much, I have a couple of suspicions you can check.

1. If you have your account set to "mole status" no reports are ever sent. Check Preferences, Reporting preferences, spam Munging

2. If that option is not Mole, check that you have MailHosts configured because otherwise the quick address is simply another gateway into the full reporting path. Do you have a "Report spam" link on the main page where you found the fuel?

Checked - I'm not a mole <_< .

I do have mail host configured, correctly as far as I can tell.

As a test, I sent four reports to my "submit" address from MailWasher. When I click on the link in the resulting four email responses, each one says "No source IP address found, cannot proceed." and "Nothing to do.".

I'm not sure what this means, but clearly the reports sent to my submit address are NG. MailWasher problem? I'll report to FireTrust. What should I tell them, though? The obvious conclusion is that none of my quick reports are any good, either. Is this what Wazoo is trying to tell me? If so, it seems counter-productive not to come out with a full answer so I can get it fixed.

Please post a tracking URL from one of the ones you sent to the submit address. It will help us help you to determine what might be going on. Remember that your quick report will simply be ignored if they are receiving the same messages, but since you have the acknowledgement turned off you will have no way of know that without looking at the past reports. You can also re-parse the past reports and get a tracking URL from there as well, don't be suprised if you get the message "Sorry, this email is too old to file a spam report. " The information in the parse is still very useful to determine what is going on.

According to the parser, ms44.ihwy.com is not included in your mailhost configuration. Do you see that host listed in your configuration?

Postini tends to be an issue that needs to be handled manualy by the deputies. This is because you can not do one level at a time, postini adds 2 levels at once.

Archived