What happens if you buy from a spammer?

rconner

From Christopher Null's blog on Yahoo Tech:

"Much to everyone's surprise, our hero's item was possibly actually shipped from China to him in Virginia according to shipment tracking information from the shipper. Whether that information is legitimate, we'll never know. Either the post office lost the item, or, more likely, it was never shipped at all and the shipping log was fake."

And, yes, bears do poop in the woods as well.

Link to article

-- rick

Well, our plucky protagonist was evidently dead unlucky by comparison with the very many upstanding citizens who attest to the quality of the goods and the service available through the good offices of the ubiquitous "Sherry" of the fortutitously resuscitated aeiwkee.com .

In fact, choosing the less common names from the testimonials (to cut the search-engine clutter) soon reveals that these people are so enamoured of the whole replica scene they have, in recent times, purchased substantial quantities of fine merchandise not only from aeiwkee.com but also sowknqnh.com, top-replica-watches.com, ponabuure.com, syetwgff.com, replicaok.net, myprestigereps.com and prestige-replicas.com. Oh, wait, each person seems to have bought precisely the same items from each of these places. Talk about dedication to consumerism! We salute you, Antoine Hallek, Robert Mindeman, Rafael Girono ... and all the rest.

• Name: aeiwkee.com Address: 89.38.113.120
  • Name: sowknqnh.com Address: 89.38.113.120
  • Name: top-replica-watches.com Address: 200.12.211.229
  • > ponabuure.com DNS request timed out.
  • Name: syetwgff.com Address: 89.38.113.120
  • Name: replicaok.net Address: 200.12.211.229
  • Name: myprestigereps.com Address: 66.111.63.114
  • Name: prestige-replicas.com Address: 64.15.153.21

Well, our plucky protagonist was evidently dead unlucky by comparison with the very many upstanding citizens who attest to the quality of the goods and the service available through the good offices of the ubiquitous "Sherry" of the fortutitously resuscitated aeiwkee.com .

Hmm...a replica website with replica customers.

-- rick

From Christopher Null's blog on Yahoo Tech:

[sNIP]

Either the post office lost the item, or, more likely, it was never shipped at all and the shipping log was fake."

And, yes, bears do poop in the woods as well.

Link to article

-- rick

Goods not shipped Credit Card now known to criminals (not a surprise)

In the case of "supplements" they if shipped can be ground up anything and most likley are

Going back to the original email I received, I decided to look at who the email was from and who it was actually sent to. According the spam filter email headers, the email was sent from “cherylc[at]hisplacechurch.comâ€. I did a quick search on the domain, “hisplacechurch.comâ€. This led me to a small church in Burlington, Washington. That is Washington state, not Washington, DC. So I peruse the site and find the church staff link where I find Cheryl Neff, the Sr. Pastor’s Assistant. Sure enough, her email was the same. While you might think that Cheryl Neff’s computer is the origin of the email selling prestigious watches, it is actually not. Unfortunately for us, and you the reader, we will never know where the actual email came from. We can be pretty sure that Cheryl’s computer had some kind of Malware on it that contained a mail engine that sent out hundreds or even thousands of emails all around the world promoting these luxurious watches. Unfortunately Cheryl is not alone in this. I received the same email message from many other unsuspecting senders, ranging from various home users to Fortune 500 companies. I have also seen the same email content blindly posted on numerous blogs. Hopefully for Cheryl and the His Place Church, they got their computer systems cleaned up.

Are you telling me a security expert at CA that knows how to use a packet sniffer doesn't know that the from address in spam is almost always forged?

Archived