Missing submit messages

funinatl

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just an update on Comcast and what they are (not) doing: My phone conversations and emails over the past several months with their Abuse Team (Comcast Customer Security Assurance) have verified what we already know, namely that Comcast is filtering all outgoing email and anything within that outgoing email that is designated as spam is being discarded. It doesn't get forwarded to any recipient, including Comcast's missed-spam reporting address, SpamCop, the FTC, ourselves, etc.

Furthermore, they now have told me that the outgoing filters are set higher and are "much more stringent" than those filtering incoming mail, supposedly because of severe abuse problems from Comcast customers. They say that they are putting emphasis on trying to limit the amount of spam that originates from within their network.

Also, they basically have told me "too bad". They are not (at this time, anyway) going to change their policy and it's just the way it is regarding the fact that we can't report spam via "forward as attachment" to them, SpamCop, or anyone else.

It's a pretty crappy situation imo when they can't/won't stop incoming spam but can/will block those same messages when sent out, which is probably the result of some shortsighted corporate honcho's arrogant decisiont. Disrespect your (high) paying customers but allow the bad guys to do as they please. (Reminds me of the way crime victims are routinely ignored in favor of the "rights" of the criminals.)

... Furthermore, they now have told me that the outgoing filters are set higher and are "much more stringent" than those filtering incoming mail, supposedly because of severe abuse problems from Comcast customers. They say that they are putting emphasis on trying to limit the amount of spam that originates from within their network. ...
Thanks for the update. That is a significant disclosure. Conceptually, they are correct, that IS the way to control spam. But only if every other provider does the same. They used to be continually at the top of the Hall of Shame - http://www.spamcop.net/w3m?action=hoshame#domsum - now they're not in there at all. Bloody botnets are at the top. Pity SC can't work out some way with Comcast to give the reporting address a free pass through the filters. The situation is, surely, ludicrous and they remain part of the problem (but it's not *their* problem).

Doesn't most of the spam from Comcast come through botnets? And don't botnets use other ports than normal mail?
Exactly (well, almost), though little spam seems to come directly from their webspace these days relative to the number of IPs (and presumably even greater number of machines) that are one it. Dunno what ports are used, suspect the normal ones, but certainly "they" don't use the zombified victim's email account to spread their stuff.

But yeah, they *DO* still leak, or at least ooze, but presumably within some sort of acceptable limits their beancounters and risk assessors have set.

So, the point you make (IIUC), they could just about exempt from outwards filtering anything sent through the normal subscriber accounts without risking any appreciable increase in spam throughput. And anything that *was* sent through subscriber accounts they could deal with promptly and effectively by enforcing their AUP/TOS/CRA as the case may be.

So this whole "filtering" lark is a smokescreen and they know better else how did they reduce the amount of spam utterance they used to have? Which they have done. Well spotted. I have made the same/similar comments/observations to my own ISP in the past so I have no explanation (apart from advanced senescence) for not picking up on it here as well.

Archived