Spamcop Filter Setup

I am new to Spamcop and had a question regarding its operation. I signed up for the service to stop the bounces I receive from people using my domain name illegally.

I use namesecure as my domain host, and I have simply set it up to forward to Spamcop. I then have spamcop forward to my ISP address.....

I am using to filters in the webmail program to filter out addresses "from" postmaster, AOL, and other MAILER-DAEMON addresses. It seems that if you use spamcop to simply forward your email, that the filters you manually set up do not function.

Can someone verify the order of operations that spamcop uses. If I am using the forwarding service and it neglects to check the rules in the mailbox, then what use is this service besides its backside spam blocking.

Thank you.

The filters are only used when you are logged into the webmail application, which is simply an IMAP client for the mail server where the messages are stored. When forwarding, the messages are never stored, so no processing can be done to them.

I signed up for the service to stop the bounces I receive from people using my domain name illegally.

If I am using the forwarding service and it neglects to check the rules in the mailbox, then what use is this service besides its backside spam blocking.

For your situation, it sounds like it is not useful. You were mistaken if you thought that is what this service is for. It is simply for removing spam from email accounts and does a very good job of that. Bounces and viruses, though considered spam by many people, are not reportable through spamcop, therefore, those machines will not be on the blocking list.

If you are not satisfied and want to cancel, I would suggest contacting support<at>spamcop.net with your account information and ask about a refund.

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I setup subject line filters to further trap spam and also noticed that the filters only worked for webmail. I complained! That same day the filter started to work for for my mail client shortly after a SpamCop support person asked for my password. Hmmm.

Not likely. Can you give us an example of what the filter was designed to do? Move mail to your Held folder, perhaps? If that worked for you, without having to log into webmail, that's a major functionality change that should be more thoroughly documented for everyone, but I'm skeptical.

DT

Archived