Lots of False Positives

In the past two days, I've had lots of legit messages held, including a number from regular correspondents. In the past, I could go weeks without a false positive, so something unusual's happening.

Any ideas?

Merlyn,

The thing is that some of the mail routed through my ISP is being filtered and some isn't. If the ISP was on the blacklist (and it's earthlink, btw, so it's unlikely that it would be), I'd expect everything to get filtered. As it stands, about half of my legitimate messges are being held and half are being let through.

Pretty frustrating! <_<

Jon

For each legit email that should have gotten through, look at the header lines, specifically the X-Spamcop-* header lines. The X-SpamCop-Disposition header line should tell you why the email was blocked (which blocking list was used), and the last IP Address in the X-SpamCop-Checked header line should be the one that was listed at the time of receipt. If there are no X-Spamcop-* header lines, the last IP Address was never listed, or the lowercase version of the From or Return-Path header line address is on your whitelist, please Reply here or email "support at spamcop.net" with details. Thanks!

If the ISP was on the blacklist (and it's earthlink, btw, so it's unlikely that it would be), I'd expect everything to get filtered.

Spamcop does not list domains, it lists specific IP addresses which have been reported as sending spam.

Your quote would only stand if either your ISP had only one server (which Earthlink does not) or all your ISP's servers were listed (also unlikely with a lare ISP). A large ISP having one or more servers on the bl is not an uncommon occurance simply because of the number of people using each server.

Jeff,

Thanks for your reply.

They all appear to have been blocked by bl.spamcop.net

I'm e-mailing the support address with the actual IP addresses from three of the messages.

Best,

Jon

Well, I don't know where you are posting from and whick BL you are using in your Spamcop Mail options.

I am Italian and Spamcop BL has been listing for a while the SMTPs of one of the most important Italian mail providers (Libero), so I got a good few false positives.

To cut down false positives, I am not using the Spamcop BL and DNS SORBS BL anymore. :huh:

Archived