Sending many emails without being blocked !

SPARA

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place to ask the following question,

I have a team of online marketing agents,

We are soon to launch a new software and we need to send ton's of emails.

Now,

My question is, if there is a limit of emails that yahoo/gmail Etc. will allow recieving from our

Email server before it might suspend us as spammers ?

We launch in 2 weeks and our agents might send around 5000 emails in 7-8 hours,

Does this fact may be a problem & our emails may be blocked ?

For example - if gmail recieves 250 emails from us in 20 minutes, is there a chance we will be blocked?

PLEASE remember, our emails are Personal, they are not spam.

Please advise if you have a clue.

Thank you,

Shay

If your emails were not requested by the recipients, then they are spam and will eventually be blocked, hopefully very quickly. If you are sending 5000 emails in a 7 to 8 hour time frame, then your claim that they are personal does not seem to agree with that. I suggest taking a look at best practices for mailing lists in order avoid being blocked.

Hi,

I hope this is the correct place to ask the following question,

Maybe not correct but a good start

You're off to a good start already

I hope for your sake they are all confirmed opt-in

Now,

My question is, if there is a limit of emails that yahoo/gmail Etc. will allow recieving from our Email server before it might suspend us as spammers ?

That all depends on if it is spam or not.

We launch in 2 weeks and our agents might send around 5000 emails in 7-8 hours,

They will get blocked if you send it to people who did not ask for it.

For example - if gmail recieves 250 emails from us in 20 minutes, is there a chance we will be blocked?

See above answer

Let's see:

You have a bunch of online marketers and you are sending tons of email but it's all personal?

See: Sharp's Corollary

Thank you,

Shay

I don't think we are the ones that need a clue :blush:

http://www.spamhaus.org/faq/answers.lasso?...arketing%20FAQs

Check this site out to see if you comply

I hope this is the correct place to ask the following question,...
Yes it is.

Now,

My question is, if there is a limit of emails that yahoo/gmail Etc. will allow recieving from our

Email server before it might suspend us as spammers ?

Check Yahoo/GMail TOS/AUP about rate limiting, contact their support departments if doubt remains.
...We launch in 2 weeks and our agents might send around 5000 emails in 7-8 hours,

Those are the specifics to keep in mind when querying the above.

By "Personal" you mean individually addressed? That doesn't mean it won't be treated as spam if it is unwelcome. Maybe it could be argued it is not UBE (B as in "Bulk") but that is a complete nonsense when it is being broadcast in "ton" lots. Anyway, in some places the definition is UCE (C as in "Commercial") not UBE. The common thread is the U as in "Unsolicited" and the E as in "Email".

Please advise if you have a clue. ...
Thanks, on behalf of several billion spamsufferers, for trying to do the right thing (or trying not to be spanked for doing the wrong thing, as the case may be). But do clue yourself. Regardless of what you mail provider(s) might initially allow you to do, you can get yourself and them into trouble if you don't get clued, you can inconvenience other users of those services if you don't and you can inflame serious sales resistence in your target audience if you don't. Further information is available through the SC FAQs How can I reduce the number of spam complaints I get? and of particular relevance are links given within that:

Double Opt-in How-To

Guidelines for proper mailing list management

... and to re-iterate petzl's excellent suggestion above:

Spamhaus Marketing FAQs

I apologize, maybe I did not give enough information.

We promote (going to..), A new software dealing with mortgages.

We have a team of agents who are about to start an affiliate marketing task.

We will only contact website owners through whois lookup or in-site contact us page.

We are not abusing & do not intend to.

The thing is that there are many websites to contact;

We are working these days on contacts & it seems like its going to be thousands of emails to send.

These emails are personal, with personal names or/plus the website's name.

Im just seeking some information about ISP blocking (or ESP's blocking) / spam Etc.

I hope this is more informative.

Thank you all.

Shay

We will only contact website owners through whois lookup or in-site contact us page.

Shay -- I am a website owner and receive many emails daily that I assume from their addressing that my information was originally obtained via whois from my website. However, I have reported every one of them as spam since they are unsolicited; if I had requested entry to this list my email contact would already be known and the whois wouldn't be necessary.

I apologize, maybe I did not give enough information.

Even with this more detailed explanation, it sure sounds like it would be spam if it hit my InBox. I already receive a bunch of this kind of garbage just because my data is returned in a WHOIS look-up. Just because an e-mail has my name and a reference to one of my web-sites included does not mean that it is something I asked to receive .... especially when there is absolutely no connection between the spamvertised item and the web-site referenced.

That you choose to use the word 'affiliates' .. ouch ... that's certainly been beat to death by spammers over the last many years. "We didn't send out any spam, it was one of our 'affiliates' that didn't follow our rules" is the usual response to the spam complaints.

'New mortgage software' ????? as if I don't receive enough refinance, sell-your-timeshare, apply-for-super-low-rates-now crap already ....???? Last check of a Yahoo account was pretty much evenly split between penis-growth and mortgage spam, and that was to the tune of 1800 spam e-mails collected in just over two days.

No accusations made here, but you sure haven't scored many 'good points' with your explanation.

Hi.

We contact website owners for advertising issues.

(Promoting our software through their websites).

We do not offer cheap mortgages, mortgages services, penis enlargment or any other spam crap.

Our software is dealing with mortgages calculations for proper savings.

Its not a buy now or something alike.

our contacts are webmasters who are interested in advertisments in their websites (Otherwise, in 90% of times.. why have a website with no profits ?) ..

Good example would be a contact us page for advertising inquiries, with an email address attached..

Its a 4 lines personal email asking for advertising requests..

Thats not spam, its 100% proper in the right place, we are advertisers.

Anyways,

I just wanted some advise on how to avoid being blocked.

Thank you all anyway!

:)

Sorry to rain on your parade, but what you are describing is very close to spam by most people's definitions.
  1. The parties shown in the whois registration data are not necessarily the "owners" of any websites in the domain, so you would possibly be firing wild. For instance, you would not approach the registrant of "blogger.com" for inquiries regarding a specific blog. Your proper target for inquiries regarding a website would be the addresses (or other contact means) posted on the website itself.
  2. Whois is a resource for identifying domain ownership and configuration. It is not a general-purpose marketing leads list. Many domain registrars explicitly prohibit use of whois-harvested addresses in commercial e-mail lists. Here is the (pretty typical) boilerplate language used by my own registrar gkg.net: "By submitting a WHOIS query, you agree that ... under no circumstances will you use this Data to: (1) allow, enable, or otherwise support the transmission of mass unsolicited, commercial advertising or solicitations via e-mail (spam)"
  3. Many of us registrants pay extra for proxy registration in order to avoid harassment by people who "scrape" whois for e-mail addresses. In fact, some spammers also pay for proxy registration for their own domains (if they don't just lie about their contact info) so that they too can be left alone.

-- rick

They did not ask you. That is spamming.

Lexical Contradiction: Spammers will redefine any term in order to disguise their abuse of Internet resources.

Sharp's Corollary: Spammers attempt to re-define "spamming" as that which they do not do.

If I understand correctly, part of what you will be doing is contacting website owners that have provided a form or email address to request information about advertising on their site, which is exactly what you want to do. I don't see any problem with that, as long as they have put that form or email address there for that express purpose. If they are not soliciting advertisers, then it will be spam.

However, any emails sent to email addresses harvested from WHOIS data is:

a) Not solicited by the recipient, and therefore spam.

B) A violation of the terms of use of the WHOIS service you harvested them from.

c) Likely a violation of the harvesting prohibition contained in the CAN-spam act.

So not only would it be spam and unethical, but is also likely to be illegal.

If I understand correctly, part of what you will be doing is contacting website owners that have provided a form or email address to request information about advertising on their site, which is exactly what you want to do. I don't see any problem with that, as long as they have put that form or email address there for that express purpose.

Yes, if folks signed up to be sent mails, it would be quite OK to send mail to them. However, I didn't get the impression that this was what was going on here. Talk of gathering of e-mail addresses from whois just made things look that much worse.

Must every unsolicited mailing to a webmaster be treated as spam? By no means. I usually cut people a break when they send me unsolicited commercial pitches via my website, as long as they are unforged and unobfuscated, and appears to have been at least approximately targeted to my interests. However, "please advertise my, um, doo-doo on your site" does not qualify as being targeted to my interests.

Like craigt, I too go out of my way to LART people who send to my registrant address when their business does not strictly involve my status as a domain registrant; I always suspect whois-scraping to have been done in such cases, and whois-scraping is low. Very low. Likewise when people send commercial pitches to role addresses that I have not posted and do not use ("sales[at]", "webmaster[at]", etc.)

-- rick

Archived