Media Cool 2.0

rconner

Found this message (tracking link) in my post-Christmas stocking. Perp wants everyone to download his software, likely so their computers can be recruited as bots.

What is unusual is that the perp seems to have no website of his own; In order to reach the download pages, perp provides a standard Google search link (NOT an "i'm feeling lucky" link), also a YouTube video. The first two hits for the Google link are download sites for the product. Could not find any traceable web links or similar for "NOC," the company listed as the publisher. Comments for the YouTube video indicate that this perp is spamming a lot right now.

Oh, and Media Cool 2.0 seems to be shareware ($20, please).

Not able to do much more digging on this since I am not using my own computer.

-- rick

Backfire! As of the time of this post, a board thread at Castle Cops (link) is now #2 -- with a bullet, as they used to say in Billboard -- in the list of hits returned by Google for the link given in the spam described above.

The posters there apparently determined that the software was free from known virus infestation. Doesn't mean that I'd run it, however (even if I could, which I can't cuz I have a Mac).

Another spammer perhaps falling victim to high Google Page Ranks of security-related websites (just like the IFL spammers described elsewhere on this forum.

-- rick

I just reported one as well.

Google via SC doesn't seem to want reports about these spams w/google links in them but I'm sick of spammers taling advantage of these google links and I report them myself to abuseATgoogle.

I say it's time they do more than just say "Don't be evil" and actually PREVENT some evil in in the form of spammers trying to rip people off using their system. If they don't like me FWD'ing spam that exploits their site, then they can block my email for all I care. I'm getting a lot of google links in my spam lately and it's time they did something about it. :angry:

Archived