My Sunday Morning Blues - interrupted

Wazoo

A whole list of things decided to go bad at the end of the year here. One of those wonderful things was that really nice 'click' that came in through the cable-TV feed .. the one that made the really, really loud 'pop' in the living room .... fuses, circuit breakers, protection circuits all kicked in "after" the power-amps were blown, two woofers shredded (can't help but guess some tweeters are gone also, but they don't have those all-too-visible speaker cones showing.)

Anyway, I recall there being some other folks with some interest .... 0700 - 0800 -6 GMT is an hour of Aykroyd in his alter-ego Elwood mode doing his House-of-Blues broadcast, followed by 0800 - 1200 -6 GMT of the local-boy Andre' doing his sponsored-by-Blues-on-Grand Sunday Morning Blues broadcast .. now being streamed on the net. http://kggo.com has the link, I have no idea what the actual corporate group involved is doing with the e-mail/registration data (meaning that I have yet to receive anything I can track back to them) .... but. for those that can't get enough blues, thought I'd pass on this source.

At least I can get my 'fix' .. though having to admit that the soundcard/speaker system in this computer is sure a long ways off from the 1300 watts RMS/(stereo) channel (.002 THD) system power driving about 400 pounds of speakers/enclosures ..... (bought back in the days when I could afford that stuff <g>)

At least I can get my 'fix' .. though having to admit that the soundcard/speaker system in this computer is sure a long ways off from the 1300 watts RMS/(stereo) channel (.002 THD) system power driving about 400 pounds of speakers/enclosures ..... (bought back in the days when I could afford that stuff <g>)

At one point, I had what might have been the world's mightiest computer sound system -- I hooked my old Mac to an old (but powerful) McIntosh 400W amp. Not that my listening levels ever caused much of a flicker on the big blue power meters.

We had a fracas here a year or two ago when the local NPR classical station (WETA) went to an all-news format; I switched to Sirius for awhile, but got tired of it. Meanwhile, back at WETA-FM, the all-news format was not bringing in the bucks, and the local commercial classical station went Tango Uniform, so they did a deal and WETA is now back to an all-music format.

To celebrate the occasion, I bought a Sony HD radio, which brings in the station on an encoded subrate digital carrier and provides a sound which is pretty close to CD quality with none of the FM noise. Many local FM stations are "expanding" to include multiple HD channels (up to three allowed per carrier frequency, I believe), and a lot of these programs cater to specialized tastes.

Still, I find that I do most of my listening on my Tivoli SongBook or my old Zenith Trans Oceanic boat anchor.

Obviously, I'm very much a radio guy, and my occasional exposure to television does little but confirm me in that category.

-- rick

an old (but powerful) McIntosh 400W amp. Not that my listening levels ever caused much of a flicker on the big blue power meters.

I went through two of those, loved them, but .... both lost during those household-goods movement while following those Governemnt orders ..... by then, they were no longer manufactured and priced has started going through the roof for used ones ...

Not actually stated, but .... I'm a definite fan of good looking huge Vu-meters myself. Those blinking LED's have their place, but they sure don't offer that 'comfort' mode like a well-lit, nicely colored Vu-meter.

We had a fracas here a year or two ago when the local NPR classical station (WETA)

You made me look. WETA rang bells, couldn't decide whether it was Boston or D.C. .... OK, got my bearings and set the mind-wandering bit to lead back to my Northern Virginia days .... there was also a smooth-jazz station out of Alexandria (recall fault button probably flashing here .. for some reason I can't get an association with JKJ auto dealer out of my mind)

To celebrate the occasion, I bought a Sony HD radio, which brings in the station on an encoded subrate digital carrier and provides a sound which is pretty close to CD quality with none of the FM noise. Many local FM stations are "expanding" to include multiple HD channels (up to three allowed per carrier frequency, I believe), and a lot of these programs cater to specialized tastes.

Strangely, my only dealings with that stuff go back while I was in that area .... I'd set ip a couple of restaraunts to use those 'backgound channels' . the biggy at that point was the lack of advertising, nothing but the music .... subscriptions come to mind, but .. a bit blurry on that these days.

Obviously, I'm very much a radio guy, and my occasional exposure to television does little but confirm me in that category.

Selection just isn't that wonderful out here in the midwest plains. Actual sound quality of some of the streaming stuff sure leaves a lot to be desired. And thnking back even more, I'm recalling that there were a number of talk shows I used to enjoy, but none of them are available in this area .. some allegedly haing some streaming links that never seemed to quite pull on for me (thought admitting it's been a while since I was looking at this stuff) .... this said while watching/enjoying seeing Don Imus making his way back 'into the world' ... RFDTV having picked him up for the (radio - which doesn't exist out here) simulcast show over the TV airwaves.

Archived