How do I add a MS Exchange account?

I have 2 yahoo email accounts and a sbcglobal account that I have successfully setup with spamcop. I use outlook 2007 with the sbcglobal account. I want to add an additional account using exchange 2003 and a new domain and I can’t get it to work. When I add a mail host I get message back “No MX records found“ , trying to use A record instead. I didn’t know what a MX record was so I looked it up. It appears that there must be a MX record since email with user[at]domain is working. I don’t know where the MX record is maintained so I can’t look at the current setting. I send the test email and reply with the headers from outlook and I get the following failure:

Hello SpamCop user,

Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:

Headers mangled

It appears that the sample you provided has been altered. Often, extra

line-breaks are inserted by your software in an invalid format. Part of

the reason for this proceedure is to ensure that you and your software are

submitting spam in an error-free format. Please review the relevant FAQ

for your software and ensure you are following a proceedure which returns

intact spam content to SpamCop.

In this sample, the problem was found near the line:

Microsoft SMTPSVC(6.0.3790.3959);

Email software FAQs:

<http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html>

Please do not respond to this email (replies are ignored). If you need

help, please consult the SpamCop website ( <http://www.spamcop.net/> ).

This email was sent in response to your email:

Microsoft Mail Internet Headers Version 2.0

Received: from sc-app8.spamcop.net ([204.15.82.117]) by sbhinc.biz with

Sun, 20 Jan 2008 12:40:25 -0800

X-SpamCop-Conf: xAQNHtfA8BWytlQd

Received: from [69.226.131.86] by spamcop.net

with HTTP; Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:40:25 GMT

From: SpamCop robot <mhconf.xAQNHtfA8BWytlQd[at]cmds.spamcop.net>

To: user_name[at]sbhinc.biz

Subject: [spamCop] account configuration email

Precedence: list

Message-ID: <wh4793b1b9g313f[at]msgid.spamcop.net>

Date: Sun, 20 Jan 2008 20:40:25 GMT

X-Mailer: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 6.0; sbcydsl

3.12; YComp 5.0.0.0; SLCC1; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04506; .NET

CLR 1.1.4322; InfoPath.2; MS-RTC LM 8)

via http://www.spamcop.net/ v647

Return-Path: service[at]admin.spamcop.net

X-OriginalArrivalTime: 20 Jan 2008 20:40:25.0870 (UTC)

FILETIME=[AF9682E0:01C85BA4]

Hi Steven,

Hopefully someone will be along who knows about this stuff but, in the meantime, no, the sbhinc.biz domain has no MX record and SpamCop/sbcglobal worked their magic to get that message back to you. Looks like one of those sbcglobal "extra addresses are part of the package, website thrown in" things but I note you are the registrant and I don't know if that would be normal in such a case. Domain dns is shown http://www.robtex.com/dns/sbhinc.biz.html - an A record and four NS records. I'm not sure you can use "your" IP address for a mail exchange (well, the IP address does "look" exclusive due to the A record, which is a starting point) but AT&T/sbcglobal/pacbell should be able to answer that - http://helpme.att.net/index.php - as another line of inquiry.

[With this, moved to the Lounge. Not sure yet where it belongs but it didn't belong in How to use .... Instructions, Tutorials > SpamCop Forum - PM (about to be) sent. Further edit to clarify expression]

I have 2 yahoo email accounts and a sbcglobal account that I have successfully setup with spamcop. I use outlook 2007 with the sbcglobal account. I want to add an additional account using exchange 2003 and a new domain and I can’t get it to work. When I add a mail host I get message back “No MX records found“ , trying to use A record instead.

Lack of an MX record will cause an e-mail server look-up to fall back on data found in the A Record. This isn't really a good way to handle an e-mail server, or example, there's no listing of primary/secondary/roll-over servers available in this scenario. Example, you turn off your computer, run into connectivity issues, any e-mail in the process of delivery at that time will not arrive, and depending on the sending server, may or may not get lost, send an error meesage to the sender, or ...????

I didn’t know what a MX record was so I looked it up.

Apparently you didn't find How do I change my MX Record? .. though I'm not sure at all about all the DNS records listing Responsible person: root[at]register.com .... probably 'normal' for them, but ?????

On the other hand, you've not really mentioned or made the case as to why (or perhaps even how) you expect to run an e-mail server on what appears to be "your" ADSL connection ... generally, running servers on a 'home' account isn't allowed.

It appears that there must be a MX record since email with user[at]domain is working. I don’t know where the MX record is maintained so I can’t look at the current setting.

Item 1, see above. Item 2, see above.

I send the test email and reply with the headers from outlook and I get the following failure:

A number of issues in the data provided. One is that you ignored the included request not to 'publish' some of the data included in that e-mail. That subject has been beat to death in far too many previous Tooics/Discussions.

Two: It's blantantly clear that the SpamCop.net issue at hand is the MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account .. which has it's own Forum section ... definitely not titled How to use .... Instructions, Tutorials > SpamCop Forum

The actual "problem scenario" is in fact talked to in numerous places .. exiting/previous Topics/Discussion, and of course, my attempted/aborted shot at developing a FAQ for problems with the MailHost Configuration process found in the SpamCop FAQ as found 'here' .. links at the top of this very page. Had the correct Forum section been entered before posting, a number of Pinned entries also already exist that talk about issues with the process and what to do when things go very wrong.

Sorry, but SpamCop has encountered errors:

Headers mangled

It appears that the sample you provided has been altered. Often, extra

line-breaks are inserted by your software in an invalid format. Part of

the reason for this proceedure is to ensure that you and your software are

submitting spam in an error-free format. Please review the relevant FAQ

for your software and ensure you are following a proceedure which returns

intact spam content to SpamCop.

In this sample, the problem was found near the line:

Email software FAQs:

<http://spamcop.net/fom-serve/cache/19.html>

Please do not respond to this email (replies are ignored). If you need

help, please consult the SpamCop website ( <http://www.spamcop.net/> ).

Problem and area seems to be pretty much self-explanatory . did you look at your submittal at all? Did you try the web-form input process? I presonally have never really understood the reference to the www.spamcop.net page for help with this specific situation, as there really isn't any help there to resolve issues with this process .. but that's just me, I suppose.

<e-mail with personal data included elided here>

Ignoring the questions about running an e-mail server on something that doesn't appear to be a dedicated line, the appearances are that the MailHost Configuration of your Reporting Account did in fact attempt to work. However, the easy assumption based on your data and comments is that you have ran into the infamous Outlook with an Exchange server problem. As stated in the error message/response/e-mail you received, that specific 'problem' is discussed in a ton load of existiong FAQs, walk-throughs, explanations, give-up-all-hope stories .... some data found in the Original/Official FAQ under the Help button on www.spamcop.net, some found in the single-page-access-expanded version found 'here', the SpamCop Wiki .. and of course, the Internet at large. Facing a Microsoft Exchnge server directly to the Internet is still not a good thing to do .....

With this post, Topoic/Discussion is being mover From the Lounge area to the Mailhost Configuration of your Reporting Account Forum section. Yes, another PM to be sent.

Archived