Micro$oft Exchange Webmail interaction with SpamCop

MyNameHere

This is not a serious problem, I just wonder why it happens...

I log onto SpamCop Webmail. Then sometimes, in a different browser window, I log onto the Exchange Webmail that my employer provides.

They seem to work fine alongside each other, except if I explicitly log off of one, the other logs off, too. (I.e., the next time I refresh or go to another feature, it asks me to log on again.)

This is not a serious problem, I just wonder why it happens...

I log onto SpamCop Webmail. Then sometimes, in a different browser window, I log onto the Exchange Webmail that my employer provides.

They seem to work fine alongside each other, except if I explicitly log off of one, the other logs off, too. (I.e., the next time I refresh or go to another feature, it asks me to log on again.)

Interesting... I do the same thing all the time from home using IE7 and have never seen that issue. Our Exchange 2003 running on Windows Server 2003.

What browser and version of same are you using?

What version of Exchange is in use and what OS is it running on (you might need to ask your IT staff at work and they may or may not like answering, wondering what you are up to).

Interesting... I do the same thing all the time from home using IE7 and have never seen that issue. Our Exchange 2003 running on Windows Server 2003.

What browser and version of same are you using?

What version of Exchange is in use and what OS is it running on (you might need to ask your IT staff at work and they may or may not like answering, wondering what you are up to).

I am using IE7.

The web client says it is "Microsoft Office Outlook Web Access Provided by Microsoft Exchange Server 2003." The Exchange Server is run on a Microsoft server, I don't know what version exactly.

I just verified it again. But it only seems to happen in one direction and when the two sessions are tabs in the same IE7 browser window.

If I log onto SpamCop webmail and Exchange webmail in another tab, I can use both. If I click the "Log Off" button on the Exchange webmail page, then when I switch to SpamCop webmail it will ask me to logon again.

It doesn't seem to matter the other way around. If I log off of SpamCop, the Exchange session chugs along fine.

It also doesn't matter which one I log onto first.

One final observation: the same thing happens if I'm using the SpamCop mail reporting system (mailsc.spamcop.net) in the same browser window. If I log off Exchange, then mailsc.spamcop.net asks me for my user name and password again the next time I use it.

Anyway, as I said originally, it isn't a big problem. I just have to remind myself not to log off of the Exchange session. If I close the tab without logging off, everything is fine.

:huh:

If I log onto SpamCop webmail and Exchange webmail in another tab, I can use both. If I click the "Log Off" button on the Exchange webmail page, then when I switch to SpamCop webmail it will ask me to logon again.

That explains it... I never log off when I have it open in tabs because it asks to close the brower unless I AM closing the browser at that time. Plus, I check it constantly.

I have confirmed this does happen on IE7 on Vista. It does not happen in FireFox or Safari on my Vista machine. I have IE6 at work and I will test it there as well on Monday (that machine is powered off to keep me from working too much).

Thanks.

Actually I checked out IE6 on another machine I have at home. Here's what happens for me:

If you open two distinct IE6 browser windows, the two webmails don't interact. Logging off of Exchange has no effect on SpamCop or vice versa.

However, if you open one IE6 window and then open a new window with <CTRL>N (or File | New | Window), then navigate to SpamCop in one and Exchange in the other, the two will interact as in IE7: Logging off of Exchange will effectively log off the SpamCop session as well.

(P.S. Both of my systems -- IE6 and IE7 -- are running under Windows XP/Pro SP2.)

:)

• 2 weeks later...

Just for completion, I found logging off of Microsoft Exchange OWA will also disconnect the https login for the administration page of Tumbleweed SecureTransport I use at work.

Something OWA logoff does is breaking the connection with other sites in the same "session". I assume it is clearing all session cookies, whether it put them there or not.

Archived