[Resolved] Advice needed for avoid autoreporting "friend" servers

(First at all, please forgive my poor english) I have looked for this topic in the FAQ's without getting my particular question addressed. Well, it is also possible that I have get "lost in the maze" (in fact I'm not sure if this topic belongs to this forum) and I have overlooked something, so I'm in need of some guidance about this. I will try to explain my concerns.

I have a domain directly registered with nic.ac (lets call it 'mydomain.ac'), and I have also an email account with SpamCop (lets call it 'me[at]spamcop.net'). The nic.ac lets me forward all email addressed to my domain to whatever other email account that I want, so I have it configured to forward all email for mydomain.ac to me[at]spamcop.net. Then, it gets 'cleaned' by SC and, finally, forwarded to my 'real' email (a POP account) given to me by my ISP (lets call it 'me[at]myisp.com'.

Graphically it would be something like this:

(email+spam) --> *[at]mydomain.ac --> forwarded --> me[at]spamcop.net --> forwarded --> me[at]myisp.com

(the first problem with this configuration is that I'm not able to disable the "catchall" -all gets forwarded to me[at]spamcop.net-, and then there aren't neither a SpamCop tool or configuration that lets me reject or delete automatically the emails addressed to other than to my valid [at]mydomain accounts, but this is another different issue)

Well, when the nic.ac forwards all my email (and all my spam) to SpamCop, it routes it thru fwd1.icb.co.uk and, when I report the spam from the SpamCop email account, sometimes this machines get 'catched' by the parser as "possible spammer" and reported to postmaster#icb.co.uk[at]devnull.spamcop.net, like in this examples:

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1679392443z7...9cac25543d2470z

http://www.spamcop.net/sc?id=z1668790705z0...6cf4239201fcfcz

In this report you can see the lines

Received:  from th1.icb.co.uk (HELO fwd1.icb.co.uk) (80.249.100.2) by mx71.cesmail.net with SMTP; 20 Feb 2008 23:30:26 -0000
80.249.100.2 found
host 80.249.100.2 = th1.icb.co.uk (cached)
th1.icb.co.uk is 80.249.100.2
Possible spammer: 80.249.100.2
...<snip>...
Possible relay: 80.249.100.2
80.249.100.2 has already been sent to relay testers
Received line accepted

and

Reports regarding this spam have already been sent:
Re: 80.249.100.2 (Administrator of network where email originates)
   Reportid: 2858859269 To: postmaster#icb.co.uk[at]devnull.spamcop.net

that have me concerned.

I wouldn't like to have icb.co.uk reported. What can I do to avoid this? Is my actual configuration 'problematic', or these parsing details about icb.co.uk are harmless and I can ignore they and continue reporting? :blink:

I wouldn't like to have icb.co.uk reported. What can I do to avoid this? Is my actual configuration 'problematic', or these parsing details about icb.co.uk are harmless and I can ignore they and continue reporting? :blink:

The phrase you are looking for is Mailhost. The entries in the FAQ (http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=2238#SCPRS) start at: How do I configure Mailhosts for SpamCop?

Mailhost is the process used to tel the SpamCop reporting tool how you receive your messages and what servers/domains to expect (and not report).

From your reporting page, click the Mailhost tab to begin. Your SpamCop account should already be configured. First configure your me[at]myisp.com address in case you want to report anything that gets through spamcop and that is where all email will end up. Then send the probe to a something[at]mydomain.ac address which will actually fix your issue.

Please ask here if you have any more issues.

P.S. Moving this to the Mailhost forum and leaving a pointer here. I will follow up with a PM indicating the move.

Thank you Steven.

I think that now I have configured correctly the mailhost system and registered the servers. Just I have checked with a 'trial' report and now the icb.co.uk is accepted as a valid host.

I was a bit confused at first, as I really don't have a mail.mydomain.ac server or sort of, but I entered 'fwd1.icb.co.uk' and all went OK. Probably a couple of examples in the FAQ would be of help but actually it isn't such complicated if you get the concepts clear before starting.

So the issue is resolved now. Thanks for your help. :)

<snip>

So the issue is resolved now. Thanks for your help. :)

Hi, Javier,

...First: "... please forgive my poor english)" Poor English? Where? Your English is better than mine and many others I know for whom English is their first language! :) <g>

...Second: thank you for taking the time to return here and letting us all know the good news.

...Finally: because your problem seems to now be resolved, I shall mark this Forum thread accordingly.

Archived