List blacklisting email directed toward spamcop/spamhaus domain

bcstones

So I posted my original question which was supposed to question - just how prevelant is this practive of blocking emails being sent to spamcop/spamhaus? I don't know if ya'll can even answer if you're not aware of a problem, if it even exists in any large manner or not. But I was curious if others had had this same problem.

As I stated in my last post, there is a SpamCop FAQ entry found 'here' .. see the links at the top of this very page. Jump/scroll down to the 'Reporting' section and look for this;

E-mail Submittal Problems / Issues

E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP? Updated!

Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?

It would seem that you'd be looking at asking about adding your ISP to the list .... but I'd ask that actual troubleshooting steps be performed to actually verify the real results ... specifically, is it just the *spam* Domains that are at issue in this case? (Somehow I doubt that /spam/ is the only 'magic' word involved, but .. trying to limit things to just this discussion subject.)

Just a final post (for me), my friends business was a bookstore. A writer friend of their gave them that listing service (that blocked any email TO spamcop). The writer had first signed on to that service when living in Colorado, & is now living in New Mexico, still keeping contact via that same service (the writer had a writing workshop for a time thru a local NPR station). A Storytellers Guild got the listing service from the bookstore a while back & uses that service now (they also had a 'gvtc.com' email account so I thought when there was problem that it was due to the listing service of the store/writer/guild not the GVTC service).

I don't know how a listing service can "block" or "scrub" outgoing email, but there are at least two. My original question (which I guess can't really be asnwered) was to find out how prevelant this problem is...who knows, kinda like peace & war - you think you're in 'peace' until 'war' touches you personally.

Again, I truely appreciate all the input. It has been a learning experience for me. Thank you all

is it just the *spam* Domains that are at issue in this case? (Somehow I doubt that /spam/ is the only 'magic' word involved, but .. trying to limit things to just this discussion subject.)

the magic word (as it was told to me) is 'spamcop' - the entire domain name of spamcop and/or spamhaus.

the magic word (as it was told to me) is 'spamcop' - the entire domain name of spamcop and/or spamhaus.

I suggested the 'magic' word of /spam/ .... your answer seems to discount that possibility, yet you then offer examples that would seem to 'document' my suggested scenario .... using color to explain what I see ....

the magic word ... is 'spamcop' - the entire domain name of spamcop and/or spamhaus

I only see the 'magic' of the four letters strung together of /spam/ as the trigger .... ????

I only see the 'magic' of the four letters strung together of /spam/ as the trigger .... ????
Spamhaus is distinct from SpamCop, but as you say both contain the word "spam;" certainly looks like "$addr=~/spam/ig" (a very dumb pattern match operation) at work here.

One might make a case that a mail admin should actually whitelist addresses that have "spam" in their domain parts. The only people I know who openly use this term in their domains are anti-spammers of one sort or another. Who would be dumb enough to advertise himself as a spammer right in his domain name? On the other hand, I have seen something of the sort done before (in a HELO, I think), but probably by spammers who are pre-qualfying for the Darwin Awards.

-- rick

Archived