More phishing scams since I started reporting

MsLil

...In the year 905 A.D. the poet 'Ki No Tsurayuki' became the first 'Minister of Poetry' under Emperor Daigo, in the preface to his first large, court-decreed Anthology,"...
Hmmm - Im Jahre 905 nach Christi Geburt wurden sie durch den Dichter Tsurayuki, den ersten Minister der Poesie unter Kaiser Daigo, in der Vorrede zu jener beruehmten ersten grossen Anthologie, welche sich Manyoshu nennt, befestigt., perchance? Spammer ransacking Project Gutenberg for innocuous text. Well, why not? :D

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
However, if you are interested in closing spamvertized websites, it is much more effective, IMHO, to use Complainerator (found in the software form here) though some people swear by Knujon. I have my doubts about the latter.

KnujOn seemed as fast as SpamCop in reporting phish, though I'm not a member. My mailer doesn't easily forward HTML (and SpamCop doesn't deal will with images), so I took two actions: instantly redirected the illustrated spoof to KnujOn, when PIRT immediately requested I confirm my address. This reports only the site.

Then I reported the mail as spam to SpamCop, without the 'coldrain' button clicked. This reported the sender and the web site (but couldn't make use of the illustrations).

KnujOn seems to work quickly on phish. The content in 'Complainerator' I'm slowly using to build an awk scri_pt to replace its Windows executable. Thanks very much for the great sites! CastleCops has a web page http://www.castlecops.com/pirt for phish, and it lists the organizations warned, but this may simply be a duplicate of Pirt's report (I don't yet know).

Rapakiwi

As long as a server is connected to the Internet, then regulations and exceptions to the "my server, my rules" come into play. Same thing as with "free speech." That sort of freedom isn't absolute. Once your server starts negatively affecting the common good (hosting a spamvertised website, distributing illegal/pirated software or copyrighted content, or spewing spam), then I don't care a whit what your rules are, I'm going to use whatever avenues are available to me to see if I can stop any of those things that either affect me directly or affect others who I choose to assist.

<snip>

...There's a bit of a slippery slope, there, though, DT. With all due respect, I don't want to have a system where you (as a proxy for "just anyone") get to make those decisions. Analogies in the "real" world (as opposed to the internet world) have been somewhat vetted by "society" (shouting 'Fire!' in a crowded theater is not protected by the Freedom of Speech Clause of the 1st Amendment to the US Constitution, for example [do I remember correctly that the US Supreme Court deemed it a "clear and present danger?"]) but IMHO wide use of the internet is too new for such social norms, supported by stare decisis, to apply. Now, if you believe a server is being used in a criminal enterprise, then, by all means, do whatever you can do that is legally sanctioned (report it to legal/regulatory authorities) but don't use "whatever avenues are available to [you]," such as firebombing the building where the server is housed. :) <g> The smiley is intended to convey the fact that I know you, personally (as opposed to you, as a proxy for "just anyone"), would not do such a thing but I think (hope) it drives home my point.

...There's a bit of a slippery slope, there, though, DT.

I like slippery slopes, because it helps me to learn better learn how to retain my footing in dangerous situations. I don't do anything illegal, nor recommend or condone it. When I said I'd use "whatever avenues are available to me," perhaps I should have inserted the word "legal" because that's what I meant.

I'm not out there trolling for spammers. I wait until they hit me or my family, and *then* I go on the attack. Doesn't matter what *their server rules* are....if they're negatively impacting me or mine, they're fair game, period.

DT

• 1 year later...

I've noticed triple the amount of crap I get in my junk folder since reporting spam through spam cop.

Thanks a lot. :angry:

Moderator Edit: Merged this 'new' Topic/Post into the most recent Discussion that was along the same subject line. PM sent to advise of the movement, and that so many previous Topics already exist.

I've noticed triple the amount of crap I get in my junk folder since reporting spam through spam cop.

Thanks a lot. :angry:

You wouldn't be confusing cause and effect with correlation would you?

If you look under Lounge, Emil System & Account or here you will find several/many threads starting with the same confusion.

Remember the old saw about the stock market following woman's hemlines. There is no mechanism that cause the stock market go up and down as dress lengths do. Its just that some times they both happen to have moved in the same direction.

Unfortunately, simply reporting spam does not stop people trying to deliver it to you.

If you want the spam to disappear from your inbox, you need to get a spam filter. The SpamCop mail service provides such filtering, as do most internet providers (perhaps your own).

-- rick

<snip>

If you want the spam to disappear from your inbox, you need to get a spam filter. The SpamCop mail service provides such filtering, as do most internet providers (perhaps your own).

...You could also ask your e-mail provider to do something most seem reluctant to do but would seem to me both a valuable service and also good business -- reject spam before it even gets into their servers instead of passing the added cost on to you and your fellow customers (with, perhaps, an extra-cost option to pass through the spam)!

Archived