Boss IP address continually blocked

jaketone

I have been working for a non-profit organization for almost 2 years now. On and off, my boss' IP address has been blocked by spamcop as "spam" and we've had to jump through hoops to try and resolve it. While it previously was occurring 1-2x every 6 months, it is now occurring every 2 weeks and I have have no idea what to do to fix the problem.

We've ran Norton, Spy Bot, and Spyware Terminator numerous times. Each time it detects a few cookies and on occasion minimal spyware (Weatherbug). Can anyone advise what we should try to detect the problem and once and for all remove?

His ip address today was 66.174.92.163.

Previously blocked IP addresses were: 216.39.243.158, 216.39.243.157

Thanks,

Jake

http://spamcop.net/w3m?action=checkblock;ip=66.174.92.163

66.174.92.163 listed in bl.spamcop.net (127.0.0.2)

If there are no reports of ongoing objectionable email from this system it will be delisted automatically in a short time.

Causes of listing

* System has sent mail to SpamCop spam traps in the past week (spam traps are secret, no reports or evidence are provided by SpamCop)

You've got more problems than just SCBL - 66.174.92.163 is listed by cbl.abuseat.org and also listed in pbl.spamhaus.org as an IP address that should not send 'direct-to-mx' mail. http://www.senderbase.org/senderbase_queri...g=66.174.92.163

This IP address appears to be a Verizon Wireless/MSN address and likely either dynamically allocated or a gateway address. In other words, it is probable that the offending mail is not coming from your boss's machine but from another myvzw.com user who was allocated this address a few hours or minutes previously. Can you configure the machine to use a myvzw.com mail server or your company's mail server for outgoing mail? You could also call Verizon and ask if they can identify the customer(s) causing these listings and take appropriate action.

Hi, Jake,

...Sorry to hear about your problem.

...Please take the time to read the "SpamCop FAQ" (see link near top left of all SpamCop Forum pages) a bit to learn about SpamCop. For example, SpamCop can not block any e-mail (except for a very few that are sent to SpamCop e-mail subscriber addresses). In particular, I'd suggest looking at the following items in the FAQ:

• Why am I Blocked?
  • What is on the list?
  • If my IP is listed, does it mean I am a spammer or my ISP hosts spammers?

If there's anything in the FAQ that leaves you puzzled, please return here to ask about it and we'll try to help. Some of the material is technical and can be skipped, so don't try to understand those sections that appear to be directed to server administrator types if you are not one yourself.

I am not a server admin and I am not technically fluent. However, there have been several people with wireless connections who have had problems and it had something to do with an insecure router. Apparently, the spammer could connect through the router from a nearby infected machine.

Miss Betsy

His ip address today was 66.174.92.163.

Previously blocked IP addresses were: 216.39.243.158, 216.39.243.157

Thanks,

Jake

My guess is the wireless connection may not be secure?

http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?...reless+security

If you have a Laptop with WiFi you can get programs like "netstumbler" which will look for unsecured wireless networks in neighborhood and log you on to them, to then do whatever you like (You have full access to that computer)

Illegal activities such as home invasion, blackmail, fraud, spam, adding Trojans/spy-ware are just a few so make sure your computer is secure please

Archived