[Resolved] Significant increase in spam getting to my in_box rather than held mail

An example is at Spamcop Report

Most of them seem to be copies. The themes are ED and bogus Academic degrees.

I have the graylist on and all of the blacklists on. I had spam assassin set to 2 (been there for years), but I set it to 3 today.

Everything has been fine until the last month or so, but it's getting really annoying now (dozens of spam in the inbox every day). Is this a common problem?

An example is at Spamcop Report

This e-mail made it to your InBox based on your Whitelisting rules, as documented within the headers;

X-SpamCop-Whitelisted: spamcop.net .. which overrides all other handling.

I have the graylist on and all of the blacklists on.

As above, none of that matters due to your whitelisted rules and the spammer use of the spamcop.net domain in the From: and Reply-To: addresses.

I had spam assassin set to 2 (been there for years), but I set it to 3 today.

Which would tend to allow more spam. Your sample spam had a score of 33, yet was overriden by your whitelisting.

It probably should be noted that apparently some of the SpamCop.net e-mail account holders did in fact fall for the phishing e-mail from a few days back.

Has nothing to do with my situation. I have had the spamcop.net entry in my whitelist for years. I didn't receive any plishing e-mail regarding spamcop.

This is clearly a case of a bogus sending address, even the spam analysis said so. I've removed the entry from my whitelist, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

Off subject, I really like the graylist!

Archived