Am I Using SpamCop Correctly?

GaryG

I fed the fuel meter 15USD in hopes I could just check the SpamCop box in Mailwasher Pro and report spam (without a "nag" email reply. Before that every time I reported spam SpamCop replied with an email containing a link that I think I was supposed to click to finish reporting the spam. Is that what's meant by the "nag" message? Maybe I don't know what a nag message is.

But even after using PayPal to send 15USD I'm still getting the reply email. So I think I STILL have to click the link in that email and then at the next page that displays I have to click another link to really, really submit the spam report.

What am I doing that I don't need to do?

Thanks, Charlie

...I fed the fuel meter 15USD in hopes I could just check the SpamCop box in Mailwasher Pro and report spam (without a "nag" email reply. Before that every time I reported spam SpamCop replied with an email containing a link that I think I was supposed to click to finish reporting the spam. Is that what's meant by the "nag" message? Maybe I don't know what a nag message is. ...
Ah, you saw the term in a message "Fuel is used as you report spam to bypass the nag screen." No you're not understanding about the nag screen. The nag screen referred to is when you paste in the spam on the web page (as opposed to emailing submissions) when a screen comes up saying words to the effect of

"Please wait - subscribe to remove this delay

(or click reload if this page does not refresh automatically in 7 seconds.)

Join SpamCop: Help support this free service"

That is the nag screen. I don't think it is in the FAQ/Wiki as a topic but searching this site produces a number of answers like http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4721

What you were mistaking it for, confirming the correctness & detail of the report you are about to send, is common to all forms of "full" reporting - see http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/SpamCopReportingChoices If you don't want to do this, you should talk to Don about quick reporting. But read http://forum.spamcop.net/scwik/QuickReporting first.

What am I doing that I don't need to do?

The SpamCop.net Parsing & Reporting system evolved over time. The original/Official FAQ, a large portion of the display screens and data have not.

In addition to the pages Farelf suggested, I will add How to use the SpamCop Reporting Service which also covers a bit of background. Just noting that while looking that up, several other Wiki pages received a needed touch, some more links generated to pages that need creation/editing ...

You are the reporter so you should look at what the spamcop parser has come up with for abuse addresses and to double check that you haven't reported a legitimate email.

There is an alternative where you rely totally on the parser to come up with the correct abuse address, which Farelf mentioned. However, you need to do Mailhost configurations first. And you get a report email so that you can check that the spamcop parser was working correctly which is just as 'nagging' as the email informing you that you have a report to be filed. I think you can turn those off.

Some people prefer to report fewer spams rather than rely on quick reporting.

Miss Betsy

I'm so stumped I don't understand much of any of the very well-intentioned responses, for which I thank you all. Where can I go to read the process I should follow if Mailwasher displays an email that I'm sure is spam? I think I should start by clicking the SpamCop checkbox, but when I get the email back from SpamCop the rest is a mystery to me. I'm not even sure if I'm posting a reply to Miss Betsy and the rest of you correctly. This forum is of a different format than I'm used to seeing. Where does a rank newbie go to find out how to report spam to SpamCop and use the forum?

Thanks, Charlie

Try something - see if it works - read the FAQ - see if you can relate what you read to what you did. Actually, that's the way I do it. One should read the FAQ, see if you can find out how to do what you read rather than the other way around.

Try clicking on the link in the email you get from spamcop and see what happens - does it make sense?

You figured out how to post to the forum. Maybe now you can figure out how to report a spam.

Miss Betsy

I'm so stumped I don't understand much of any of the very well-intentioned responses, for which I thank you all. Where can I go to read the process I should follow if Mailwasher displays an email that I'm sure is spam?

MailWasher is a third-party application. One would think that support for that tool would be available on the MailWasher web-site ...????

I think I should start by clicking the SpamCop checkbox, but when I get the email back from SpamCop the rest is a mystery to me.

My suggestion, use SpamCop directly yourself to see how it works. My previous post included a link to How to use the SpamCop Reporting Service .. did you look at that page? Again, my suggestion is to start with submitting via the web-page form .. which of course requires that you figure out how to get the full message with complete headers from whatever tool you are using to handle your e-mail (I'm not talking about MailWasher here)

I'm not even sure if I'm posting a reply to Miss Betsy and the rest of you correctly. This forum is of a different format than I'm used to seeing.

A bit confusing .. there are numerous Forum applications found on the net, but in general, they all work pretty much the same.

Going worst case, you came here via a search engine result and you are looking at this Forum in something other than 'Standard' Mode ... Use the Options dropdown menu at the top right and change your view to 'Standard' ...????

Where does a rank newbie go to find out how to report spam to SpamCop and use the forum?

Using SpamCop.net ... Follow the Help link on a www.spamcop.net web-page. Take a long look at the single-page-access-expanded version of the SpamCop FAQ, links at the top of this very page ... Look at some of the entries in the How to use .... Forum Section .....

Using this Forum .. built in Help has some data ... Look at the Forum FAQ link at the top of this very page ... The How to use ... Forum section again has some entries about some specific Forum actions

At some point, then come back and ask about what you still don't undertand .... perhaps point to the specific FAQ entries involved that didn't go far enough in explanation ...

every time I reported spam SpamCop replied with an email containing a link that I think I was supposed to click to finish reporting the spam.
Yes, you have to click the link and report the spam you submitted. MailWasher sends the spam to us, we send you back a link, and then you have to use the link and report the spam.

Or you can log into your account here and use the "Unreported spam saved" link to work your way through the spams you submitted.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Archived