Spamcop & windows Live mail

scr621

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this?

Since upgrading my system from Windows Vista Home Premium to WV Ultimate I've had to reinstall some programs. I'm not sure what setting to use for Spamcop reporting ie smtp etc. Should it be the same setting as my main email account? I also use mailwasher pro

My main email account = Comcast

servers:

incoming mail (POP 3) mail.comcast.net

outgoing mail (SMTP) smtp.comcast.net

outgoing mail server my server requires authentication

outgoing mail server use same settings as my incoming mail server

Advanced:

outgoing mail (smtp) 587 (Comcast told me to use this #)

this server require secure connection (SSL)

incoming mail (POP 3) 110

Mailwasher Pro settings:

enable spamcop reporting..checked

unified SMTP server smtp.comcast.net

...Since upgrading my system from Windows Vista Home Premium to WV Ultimate I've had to reinstall some programs. I'm not sure what setting to use for Spamcop reporting ie smtp etc. ...
Not sure exactly what you have in mind but those settings seem okay for a mail client, specifically I believe port 587 is okay for SMTP to SC. Does it work? would be the test.

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post this?

It does appear to be a Reporting issue, so your guess would seem to be right.

Since upgrading my system from Windows Vista Home Premium to WV Ultimate I've had to reinstall some programs. I'm not sure what setting to use for Spamcop reporting ie smtp etc. Should it be the same setting as my main email account? I also use mailwasher pro

Settings seem to be OK, based on that you are using your ComCast provided e-mail server to handle your outgoing. The only issue remaining would be the outbound filtering of e-mail seen as spam ... see the SpamCop FAQ entries/section as found 'here' (links at the top of this page);

E-mail Submittal Problems / Issues

E-Mail spam submittals blocked by your ISP? Updated!

Emailed spam Submissions Disappearing? No Confirmation e-mails?

Advanced:

This would be to get around the blocking of Port #25 traffic, one attempt at trying to stop outbound spam-spew from compromised user-owned systems.

Use of MailWasher has its own issues, being a third-party product/tool.

Actually wondering what any of this has to do with "windows Live mail" ...????

My main email account = Comcast

servers:

incoming mail (POP 3) mail.comcast.net

outgoing mail server my server requires authentication

outgoing mail server use same settings as my incoming mail server

Advanced:

incoming mail (POP 3) 110

Mailwasher Pro settings:

enable spamcop reporting..checked

unified SMTP server smtp.comcast.net

secure connection (SSL) will not work on port 587!

SSL needs the mail server set and configured for/to port 995 (POP) port 993 for IMAP

Bypassing/blocking port 25 which many ISP's block to prevent Trojan spamming

Just use SpamCop email directally

The dedicated email settings for SpamCop email are

Logging on requires FULL SpamCop Email address and your password

SEND smtp.cesmail.net port 587

RECIEVE pop.spamcop.net port 110

Not sure what options for Mailwasher are but if Comcast block port 25 use

smtp.cesmail.net port 587

to SEND

VISTA ultimate can give you an option to use 64 bit which lazy software cannot use

secure connection (SSL) will not work on port 587!

SSL needs the mail server set and configured for/to port 995 (POP) port 993 for IMAP

I wouldn't want to say yay or nay to this statement, only pointing out that servers can be configured in many strange ways. As to whether some of those configurations would also be compatible with user client applications is yet another question.

Bypassing/blocking port 25 which many ISP's block to prevent Trojan spamming

Just use SpamCop email directally

The dedicated email settings for SpamCop email are

I didn't read that the user had a SpamCop.net e-mail account ...????

Gmail has email set-up advice using relevent ports

IMAP

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/topic.py?topic=12806

SSL

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer....mp;answer=13287

OPPS you're right

Maybe he should get one :blink:

Then he would have an email account more effective than using Mailwasher

I'm not sure what setting to use for Spamcop reporting ie smtp etc. Should it be the same setting as my main email account? I also use mailwasher pro

Think of MailWasher as an additional email client you use to handle your mail. It needs to know the SpamCop 'submit' address you want to send your spam to, and it needs to know what SMTP server to use for sending the spam to us. The SMTP setting is probably the same as your regular email software uses. Pretty sure, but not positive.

Those are the basic elements. I don't know about other technical details, if any. I think that if you have checked your email with your regular email software, then you should already be logged into your ISP's mail system and MailWasher should be able to send your spam out with no login problems or anything. Maybe. Assuming that Comcast is not filtering the spam out of outgoing mail anymore. Maybe somebody else can address that issue.

- Don D'Minion - SpamCop Admin -

Assuming that Comcast is not filtering the spam out of outgoing mail anymore. Maybe somebody else can address that issue.

Wazoo already did. Even went to the effort to provide directions to find the link.

Yup it does work thanx ;)

Not sure exactly what you have in mind but those settings seem okay for a mail client, specifically I believe port 587 is okay for SMTP to SC. Does it work? would be the test.

In answer to your post below:

It has EVERYTHING to do with WLM as my mail is processed via MailWasher BEFORE going to WLM

I wouldn't want to say yay or nay to this statement, only pointing out that servers can be configured in many strange ways. As to whether some of those configurations would also be compatible with user client applications is yet another question.

I didn't read that the user had a SpamCop.net e-mail account ...???? ANSWER.........I'm not sure what type of account it is, all I know is that I can forward the spam mail to Spamcop via WLM or click on th link provided by Spamcop in reported emails to finish the submission on line

I'm totally lost here!

Thank you for all the info but I'm still going around in circles trying to find out what I'm doing wrong :(

Admin Edit; below is what I think is what this post was meant to look like.

It has EVERYTHING to do with WLM as my mail is processed via MailWasher BEFORE going to WLM

I'm not sure what type of account it is, all I know is that I can forward the spam mail to Spamcop via WLM or click on th link provided by Spamcop in reported emails to finish the submission on line

I'm totally lost here!

Thank you for all the info but I'm still going around in circles trying to find out what I'm doing wrong :(

I'm totally lost here!

Sorry, I meant work as in sending from mailwasher to spamcop, being fairly confident that would work, if not then adjustment of one (SMTP) port setting should fix it. Evidently not (or that is not what you are trying to do or not ALL of what you are trying to do).

Where were you entering those details (in your first post)?

Are you trying to split mail and spam into 2 streams out of mailwasher maybe?

Sorry to be so dense, there are many ways to get things to happen, you had one with which you were happy and just want to get it back. I understand that much, it can't be that hard once "we" can see exactly what it is you are trying to do.

I'm totally lost here!

Thank you for all the info but I'm still going around in circles trying to find out what I'm doing wrong

Hard to help at this point. You haven't said anything about looking at the FAQ data, the Wiki pages .. done any troubleshooting, tried to use the SpamCop.net tools directly .. on and on ...

Your starting post seemed to be simply about setting up your e-mail settings. You seemed to say in your last post that the settings worked.

However, you then go on to say something about what you're doing wrong

What exactly suggests that something is wrong? You've not actually defined an actual problem thus far. (Or it's that I can't figure out what you actually said in your strange result of working with the QUOTEing actions. I tried to make my best guess and edited your post to clean things up.)

I'm not sure what type of account it is, all I know is that I can forward the spam mail to Spamcop via WLM or click on th link provided by Spamcop in reported emails to finish the submission on line

SpamCop Reporting Accounts

My guess, at best you Registered for a Free Reporting Account. You would know if you sent money somewhere for a Premium/Fuel type account (ruling out a Flat Rate E-mail account as you've not stated anything of that sort thus far.)

And, noting mailwasher is once more in the mix and it is starting to look like something might have 'happened' to mail washer in the last 1-2 weeks, see some history on mailwasher diagnostics in topic http://forum.spamcop.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=4798

and the dedicated forum at:

CastleCops All -> FavForums -> Mailwasher - Troubleshooting / General

Archived